An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Gaba supplements

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Onceaddicted77, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Onceaddicted77

Onceaddicted77 Spam fighting Moderator & Realist Community Listener

Guys so some new supplements are out and are getting really good reviews.
    It's natural Gaba supplements same that's in foods they sell it at Gnc type stores or like that. I really think it could help alot of people with some anxiety and sleep and overall better mood.

I didn't want to link any sites but just Google Gaba supplements.

I got some myself and they do seem like they work definitely a calmer feeling.
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Thanks for the info, @Onceaddicted77. As always, people should do some research and/or ask their doctor before taking any supplements. Just a standard caveat.
  3. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Community Champion

Reflecting, 50 + years ago I was a world class athlete and took the best supplements. Arriving in Paris, I realized I had forgotten my supplements, which were only available in the USA, yet I felt fine. This happened to me 3 other times for various reasons, and each time I had the same experience, I felt just fine and stopped taking supplements for many years. In the first decade of the 2000’s, due to being a senior citizen, I returned to supplements for a while, but didn’t notice a change in my biorhythm and again stopped taking supplements. I have always had what’s called today an *organic diet (I don’t trust the FDA's version of *organic), mostly plant based, so I concluded “for me”, all amino acids are naturally in food, including GABA, and supplements are not necessary.
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  4. Onceaddicted77

Onceaddicted77 Spam fighting Moderator & Realist Community Listener

I concur we should be able to get all amino acids out of food with a balanced diet.

When I detoxed from buprenorphine about 5 months ago. One thing that happens is hyperactivity of our neurons and gaba helps to slow down our brains activity. Which is wonderful during detox. I preferred Gabapentin a Gaba analog drug for the short term during detox but not everybody can get a script that detoxes at home.
    True concern likes this.
  5. Joshstillclean

Joshstillclean Stupidity Exists - Fact.

What sport were you competing in? Or rather what sport were you world class in?
    True concern likes this.
  6. nieprophsono

nieprophsono Member

Thank you for sharing this information. I will take a look and search for some reviews online to make a general impression. I believe in supplements and that they do good things for our bodies. I've tried many brands but none of them impressed me so far. Lately, I found some organic and vegan supplement formulas and I want to try those but this one you're talking about also looks promising. I will keep trying until I find what works best for me, so if you have any other recommendations, I'm interested.
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2020