New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Gabapentin/Neurontin

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by Chelsea Smith, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Chelsea Smith

Chelsea Smith Member

I am a recovering addict. I recently have relapsed and have only been able get access to Gabapentin to which I do not have a prescription...It has gotten to the point where I have been taking up to 3,000-4,500mgs a day, usually at night. I am at a point in my life where I finally have a great job and my own place and am functioning but I do not want to be dependant on another substance. I also no longer have health insurance so going to a Dr. to help get me off this medication is not an option; I wasn't sure if there was anyone who had any advise on how to ween myself off or anything to help with the awful withdrawl symptoms.
  2. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@Chelsea Smith hey there! thanks for reaching out. I don't have experience with weaning off said medication.. My apology. I wonder if you can maybe call a doctor for a phone consult? Or a substance abuse clinic? Let them know what's going on?

If you are tapering, do so slowly... that's what I've heard anyway...

Hopefully others will chime in, but your best bet is to talk to a healthcare professional...

Sending you a big hug...
  3. SHARONA

SHARONA Member

I have been on gabapentin for many years. I forget to take them sometimes but have never felt amu withdrawels from them. I would say if your experiencing withdrawels to slowly taper yourself off. Drink plenty of water this helps the drug to go through your system faster.
    Dominica likes this.