An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Gaining weight after stopping the use of Adderall?

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by karebear07, May 31, 2015.

1. karebear07

karebear07 Active Contributor

I was prescribed addrerall a few months ago and used if for 7 months daily. After I stopped using it, I gained about 20 pounds in 3 weeks. Has anyone noticed that type of weight gain?
  2. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

This is interesting. Adderall is for ADHD or narcolepsy. A side effect is to cause someone to have an abnormal drug or alcohol addiction. It also causes mood swings. Mood swings can make a person eat more and perhaps more of the wrong things; making you gain weight. Maybe even compulsive eating if it can make you have an abnormal alcohol addiction.
    These drugs are designed for addiction so they keep making money. ADHD; gluten and chemicals in food cause this problem. Just need to detox the add and eat really clean. No processed food. You'll loose the weight you've gained eating this way.
  3. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

This really doesn't surprise me at all. Adderall is an amphetamine. Not only are amphetamines notorious for preventing people from putting on weight but they usually also cause people to lose weight rapidly. The body begins to rely on the amphetamine in order to fuel itself, rather than taking nutrition from food which is basically just burned away by the amphetamine. When you stop taking it, it's possible to experience a physical bodily crash. Because your body is no longer being fuelled by amphetamine, it needs more food and so you find yourself eating more. Once the amphetamine is out of your system, you are likely to start putting weight on again.
  4. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Maybe you are eating more now and don't even notice it. I have noticed that when I am even a bit more anxious than usual I feel the need to eat more often. I believe this is what is preventing me from losing weight right now, I tend to eat something here and there, most of the time somethbing sugary. I recommend you to start a food diary and log what you it, you'll surely amazed to see how many things you can actually eat during the day without barely noticing.