An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Gasoline fumes

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by SLTE, Sep 6, 2015.

1. SLTE

SLTE Community Champion

I bet this will sound like a weird one to some people, but bear with me.

I love the smell of gas stations. Whenever I walk by one I inevitably linger for at least a few seconds to breathe in the heady smell of horrifying chemicals that wafts off of the pumps. I don't know what it is about the stuff - and even as I'm doing it and getting a feeling of light-headedness, I can tell it's bad for me. All the more reason for me not to own a car, which is fine, since I don't need one anyway where I live. It's not something for everybody, though, because my wife has the exact opposite reaction to gas fumes.

Is anybody else mildly addicted to the smell of gasoline? I know a few of my friends are, and I've met others with similar reactions. I also recall a story about Inuit children in Canada huffing gas to get high, and how it was an increasingly dangerous problem in the north of the country, so it can't just be me.
  2. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I like it as well, and I met some people who do. I remember that when I was young mother used to tell me to cover my nose because we're entering a gas station (for her to buy cheap cigarettes) and never let me feel the smell. A childhood friend liked it too and his mother used to give us weird looks about this. I don't think I could get "addicted" to it though, it's pretty uncommon and would seem a bit silly to buy gasoline if you're not driving or to spend most of your days in/near a gas station.
  3. SLTE

SLTE Community Champion

I think it's more common, as I mentioned, among Native American populations, primarily in reservations. The inhabitants are usually rather poor, so they take whatever highs they can get, I guess. Enough of anything that gives you a good feeling can make you an addict. Probably not nearly as prevalent among people with more money, though.
  4. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I like the smell too, although I don't purposely go out of my way to sniff it. @SLTE, you definitely aren't on your own with this one, trawling through Google, it seems like many people love this smell and the effect it can have. I doubt you're going to turn into some kind of crazed drug zombie because of it though.
  5. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Much the same as the rest of you - the smell of gasoline and also the smell of permanent markers are things that I quite like the smell of. But it's only a thing that's an in passing thought - I don't specifically go to a gas station seeking out the smell, nor do I take off the cap of a permanent marker and sit there sniffing it. I guess there's just something appealing about the scent but I am sure there are people out there that take it to extremes.
  6. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I don't like the smell of gasoline or any other chemicals, with the exception of the smell of paint. I don't think that I'm addicted to it, but rather I just sniff it when I happen to pass by an area where there is something being painted.
  7. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I like the smell of gasoline as well. I don't know why but I find the smell nice. Though I don't really sniff it purposely like go to a gasoline station when I crave that smell. I only smell it when we're fueling the car and I try to refrain from smelling it too long. My husband though hates the smell of gas and finds it funny that I like it.
  8. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Yes, like all the commentators on here I also enjoy the smell of gasoline. Fortunately, I'm not addicted to it as I know how harmful it can be. I always keep my windows closed when I drive into a gas station and only partially open it when I speak to the attendant. I'm seldom at the gas station for more than a few minutes and only catch a whiff of the smell.
  9. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

Used to love the smell of gasoline. It probably did come from the fumes of it. Whenever we went to a gas station I did enjoy the smell of it and my dad joked saying that I should be a gas pumper haha.
  10. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I do not like the smell of gasoline and never liked it. Inhaling lots of it is really dangerous for anyone's health. I am not aware that addiction on it is quite common in a certain place like Canada.
  11. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

Inhaling the smell of gasoline is one thing I will never do. Due to the fact that it is bad for our lungs as well I am having a hard time breathing whenever we are in a gasoline station that is why I always cover my nose so that I will not inhale its smell.
  12. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I've never met anyone who liked the smell of Gasoline. One thing about gasoline fumes is they are highly flammable. It would be best to kick this addiction because it could be more dangerous than you think. Being around cars and people who work on them all my life taught me basic things like what's safe or not, and what could blow you to smithereens. I guess once you look at what gas fumes can do to you if your buddy comes over and decides to have a smoke while your sniffing them, could help you quit. Be safe ;-)
  13. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

I am! I love the smell of gasoline. I don't know what it is about it, but I can't help it. I don't know if it's safe or not, but I'm usually only at the gas station pumping for a little bit so I'd imagine it wouldn't do too much damage.
  14. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I think that it can smell pretty bad and need to keep it away from your skin and also the fuel can cause some people to feel unwell, and try and stay away from the fuels when filling the car and careful not to smell it. I reckon the chemicals and also the smell can be horrible so, it is important to be away from places which have chemicals as it can be flammable. It is interesting to see what happens when someone comes close to the fumes as it can make some people get high and also, need to be aware of the consequences of sniffing gasoline which can be dangerous.
  15. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

The smell of gasoline. I don't mind it, but I'm not going to purposely inhale it. We know its toxic. Probably causes some kind of brain damage. Alright I just saw a number of random facts about inhaling gasoline fumes. This is something that more than a few people do. What possesses people to think this is ok? There is a youtube video of a guy who seriously does this for kicks. This explains a lot about some people. Inhaling gasoline is POISONOUS people!
  16. xeylonfm

xeylonfm Member

Lol, you just made me reflect on my past when I saw this thread. It caught my eye and reminded me of my elder brothers. The eldest was addicted to chewing classroom chalk. He liked the way the dusty mass cracked and the smell of the dust filled his mouth. Then the elder one was addicted to chewing paper. Lol, he would chew paper every other time he found one clean sheet claiming they had a nice taste that he couldn’t just keep off. Then comes me and petrochemical fumes. If there is a smell I loved since I was young, it was the smell of petrol more so the slightly burning petrol. When a Suzuki bike passes by and pumps some clear smoke, I would wish to follow it behind and just inhale the fumes. The same applies to gas stations. When they have just been, or ar in the process of being refilled by some truck, there is always the leaking smell of gas that smells so good. Are these addictions really or something else altogether?
  17. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I don't like the smell of gas. It's especially bad when I have to sit in the car and smell that stuff as we are filling the tank and it's hot. It's not as bad in the colder days since we tend to be quicker to close the doors and not let whatever heat is still in the car out. I guess people like the smell of different things so whatever floats your boat as long as you don't go over board.
  18. GettingBetter

GettingBetter Senior Contributor

Ahhh what a crazy thread! I used to be this way as a kid all the time, I looooved the smell of gasoline. I can't imaging how you get high off of it though and I'd rather not know. Anyway my allergies are so bad these days I can rarely smell it unless I spill it on myself so maybe that's a good thing. I never knew that was a common thing though!
  19. 6up

6up Community Champion

I usually vomit whenever I can't withstand the smell of gas. Your habit has got lethal effects because lead is a major ingredient in today's fuel. You are risking your life and you should know that. I will never encourage you to continue with your habit. I want you to change and I promise to always pray for you.
  20. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

I thought it was only when we were kids. I know we were joking about this and our parents would yell at us all the time. I never thought a grown person could be addicted to this. Any way, it is highly dangerous and even deadly. It can cause some lung problems very fast, as well as heart problems. I was not very fond of that smell though my sister was and i never had a chance what was that she liked. We were kids and we surely didn't get high.