An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Gateway Drug

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by karmaskeeper, Nov 1, 2014.

1. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

All my life I have heard that marijuana is the gateway drug. I'd like to hear what you guys have to say about that. Is it the key to unlock the door of more addictive and dangerous drugs? Is this just another attempt to scare our youth into not trying pot?
  2. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Hard to say man. My mom use to be heavy pot user. She did it through my adolescent years. But I think she got into the Meth when her friends who were her pot smoking buddies turned her on to Meth. After that one hit from the Meth pipe, it had her.

So in a way, in her situation, I would say her friends that were pot heads had turned her to the meth pipe. The pot didn't turn her, but her circle of pot users had access to meth and got her hooked on it.
  3. WAVWirmer

WAVWirmer Member

I dont see it as one in my personal life because I have smoked weed for years and never have touched any other drug. The fear of dependency and all the negative affects of all the other drugs were one of the main reasons that kept me away. And no matter how high ive been ive never had the thought or desire to try anything else. Weed is more than good enough to give the feeling or high im looking for. No need to go jump into any other activity. That said I know every person in the world isnt the same. considering that everyone has there own level of dependency some may fall prey to wanting to go into other drugs.
  4. karmaskeeper

There are those out there that truly just have the additive personality. That being said, no matter what form of substance they are introduced to and try. They could just be hooked on the spot. I think that is me when and many ways, I tried pot and hated it. Didn't see what all the fuss was about. Totally freaked me out I stayed the hell away from it. Now alcohol was totally different hated the taste at first, but loved how it mad me feel. I find I can't stop doing other things to like eating chocolate lol. I will actually make myself sick because I won't stop once I start eating it.

So my point is it may just be a built in disorder, and the individual is just prone to over do it. Weather it be drugs, food etc... really that to me is what it boils down too. I know those who can stop at just a few beers, and I know others that won't stop until they are past out.
  5. jurew2

jurew2 Member

I think that marijuana is a gate way drug in some cases, because it is illegal. I know a lot of people that didn't touch other drugs just because they were smoking marijuana. But there are other users that have gone to other drugs and I think that this is because the people that sell marijuana also sell other drugs. From time to time they will try to sell you the other drugs and tell you how fun the high is, but they don't tell you that you can get addicted really fast. So if you use this argument, then I think that marijuana can be considered a gateway drug, otherwise I don't think that it can be.
  6. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Marijuana may or may not be a gateway drug.

For those who are experimenting, other addicts they hang out with may ask them try something else, and they'd be willing to try it because they already are using some substance. Should they find that this other drugs effects are stronger than weed then they may opt to start using the other drug.

But be it a gateway drug or not, even those who smoke only marijuana in time develop tolerance to the drug and must for that reason smoke larger and larger joints. Guess where that leads?

p.s There's no addiction that's worse than another. All are bad for the addict.
  7. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

Depends on every person in part. It's not the key at all if you do it just for fun, if you want to have "cool" sensations, then it is.
  8. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

I think any drug is bad for you no matter which way you look at it. It also depends on how life is for that person because one kick might no be enough and that is what forces someone to find something stronger and more exciting to feel something. The best thing to do is to avoid it all.
  9. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think that it's a load of BS. It's no more a gateway drug to addiction than a burger is a gateway food to obesity. These are all substances that provide people with pleasure and it's always been up to the people which to do, what to do with them and what to do next, meaning that the only gateway that has always been present in everything is the human mind and not the external ingredient.
  10. DAE89

DAE89 Member

I agree with the other posters in this thread. Marijuana may or may not be a gateway drug, whether or not is highly dependent on the individual and their personality. Some people are lead to other substances after using marijuana because they like the high or they have an addictive personality or via the people they associate with and some people resist the temptation and stick with marijuana.

If anything, alcohol is the real gateway drug. Alcohol is extremely prevalent in our society, and not even really seen as a drug (how many times have we heard the phrase "drugs and alcohol"?) Alcohol is many peoples' first introduction to altered states of mind. Just like marijuana, some people stick with alcohol, and some people, whether due to their personality or social factors, continue down the rabbit hole, so to speak.
  11. KC Sunshine

KC Sunshine Member

It's a curious concept: "gateway drug." What would make a drug into a "gateway"? The metaphor refers to an opening in a fence, a way through into an enclosure, or out of an enclosure. The idea is that if you consume marijuana it will somehow soften you to consuming other harder drugs like cocaine, heroin, PCP, LSD, crack, methamphetamines, oxycodone, etc. I think it's wrong, though, and takes a correlative relationship and tries to make it causal. I would be willing to bet that everyone who found themselves taking hard drugs also at one point consumed marijuana. The experimental tendencies would suggest that to be the case. But we know that everyone who ever tried marijuana has not gone on to consume hard drugs. So it's not really a gateway its just always a point along the trajectory of the hard drug user. Which really raises different questions.
  12. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I actually saw a study of this fairly recently, where they compared all the basic drugs (alcohol, nicotine, etc) in order to find out what would be the most significant drug for leading people on to using other more potent drugs. The study concluded that alcohol should be considered the gateway drug - people who are drunk are less inhibited and therefore are more likely to try other drugs whilst under the influence of alcohol. Additionally, those who were under the influence of alcohol were found to be more likely to try marijuana than those who were sober.
    karmaskeeper likes this.
  13. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

Seriously, any type of drug is a gateway drug, because it ultimately changes one's perception of naturailty. Marijuana is labeled a drug, but cannabis or hemp is not a drug but a herb. Also, cannabis consumption has never led to the death of a user in the whole written history of humans. It still comes down to the individual their self, if he or she wishes to continue using drugs or not.
  14. karmaskeeper

I think the most readily available is alcohol therefore it's the one most will try first. Plus let's face it most people think its perfectly fine to drink. They do it openly, and they do it around there kids. I remember being the bar tender at a very early age. We kids were always fetching beer from a cooler. Very easy to snitch one sneak behind a tree and drink it.
  15. Sonjapunk

Sonjapunk Member

I think marijuana isn't the gateway drug. The people you smoke it with, or the person who sells it to you is the "gateway person". Hanging out, smoking weed or having anything to do with people who possess hardcore drugs on them, will increase you chances of you trying them, just because "someone" said it feels good, or he offered it to you.
    Perhaps it's called a gateway drug since it's so easy to obtain; anyone who consumes cocaine will probably tell you he has consumed weed.
  16. I think that there is not enough conclusive evidence to say that it is actually a gateway drug. I have seen various studies that showed there was a lot of propaganda and untruths involved in the prohibition of marijuana. If it is a gateway drug, than tobacco should be classified as a gateway drug also, because people who us hard drugs often started with cigarettes. On the other hand, many people that use marijuana do so exclusively with no thought of using hard drugs.
  17. juliaintheclouds

juliaintheclouds Active Contributor

I think it depends on the person and wether or not you have an adventurous or addictive personality. I started smoking pot when I was 13 and it made me curious to try other drugs and since I had dealers I had access. I had a bit of a spree with psychedelics but gave it all up with little difficulty. It really depends on the person and the circumstances.
  18. Rob93FL

Rob93FL Senior Contributor

Marijuana and hemp are cannabis. Cannabis is the genus, and the three species are indica, sativa, and ruderalis. A substance can be both a drug and an herb; the two aren't mutually exclusive.