An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Gene Regulation May Control Addiction, Depression

Discussion in 'Dual-Diagnosis Treatment' started by kevinkimers, Nov 13, 2014.

1. kevinkimers

kevinkimers Community Champion

"The study authors indicate that their research is the first step in developing not only therapeutics to positively affect the diseases of depression and addiction, but also other genetic-based conditions. “The use of engineered transcription factors has broad implications outside of neuroscience, because gene regulation underlies many diseases, including most forms of cancer,” said the study’s lead author, Elizabeth A. Heller, PhD."

This looks like an interesting alternative to the treatment of addictions and their withdrawal symptoms.

Here's a link to the whole article.
  2. Davienna

Davienna Community Champion

Awesome, thanks for sharing. This may be the ultimate treatment/cure not just for drug addicts but for all of us in general. The fact that persons whose family members were diagnosed with certain conditions, automatically become high risk, the genes is what they need to alter if possible. This could be the end of many illnesses etc.
  3. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

It's a very fascinating article. I always worry when people talk about gene's and predispositions and stuff like that. I know it's not quite the same, but I know way too many overweight people that simple give up and say, "Oh well, it's genetic" and I'd hate to see that happen with drugs too.
  4. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

The article was an eye opener. New researches everyday expanding our horizon of our understanding of the human body. But, yeah, I would hate to blame everything on genetics. That's just a petty excuse to me.
  5. Nate5

Nate5 Active Contributor

Thanks for sharing! This was a fascinating article, and it's very uplifting when I hear we discovered something new that can help humanity solve its problems, great and small. However, I'm still a bit skeptical. Some addiction conditions are not caused by genetics alone. We must improve the environment we live in as well.
    Zyni likes this.
  6. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

I am very cautious when it comes to genetic things like this. For one thing I am not convinced that addiction is genetic, I think there is too much complexity in a human being for that to be the cause. I am also not a fan of manipulating genes at all. It is so dangerous. I am very against genetically modified organisms. Not sure that this is the same kind of thing here, but I would be very careful. We don't know what might happen if we mess with a person's genes, it could be really bad.
    Zyni likes this.
  7. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

I tend to agree. It is fascinating, but at the same time, I find it unsettling. I don't like the idea of "programming" people. Most things start out as being for the good, but many can also be used for not so good ends.
    Nick W. likes this.
  8. muthoni

muthoni Active Contributor

I hope that this can be done soon because we are usually at the mercy of our genes. My grandfather drunk alcohol, so did my father, my brother and I. I could not believe that at one point I could not say no to alcohol until I blacked out. I will not blame it entirely on genes but they contributed a large percentage to my getting addicted.
  9. globulon

globulon Member

This is a fascinating article! As has already been mentioned in this thread, genes may make up the blueprint of an individual, but there's a ton of other factors, such as upbringing, that shape us into who we are. I'm willing to bet that future cures based on gene regulation will have to be used alongside therapeutic interventions.
    Zyni likes this.
  10. Jericho Mercado

Jericho Mercado Active Contributor

I would think also that environment would have a factor in this as well. What if gene regulation were able to prevent and cure certain things? But due to environmental factors, gene mutation could occur?