An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Get Embarrassed

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by JonMark, Jan 28, 2015.

1. JonMark

JonMark Active Contributor

To what extent will someone go for an addiction? I know that in the past, I've had to deal with a lot of embarrassing scenarios that, when I think about them, I'm glad I'm still alive and shudder at the thought that It could have turned out some other way.

The right direction for me to take now is one where I no longer engage with other people, past normal conversation about whatever we're currently discussing. Anything outside of that is simply forcing me to invest more time in the relationship. I would say the fear of commitment is necessary but the fear of embarrassment is also a great way to stay clean and sober.

How strong is the addiction that someone has to devote the time with other people to feed it? I've repeatedly made surprise visits to someone's house without a heads up, expecting them to accept me. There have been too many close calls with that as as I've gotten older, it's harder to get away with. It's pretty embarrassing.
  2. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

Happy to hear this works for you now, but it ultimately does not sound like it would be a pleasant way to deal with the problems in the long term... Relationships can be painful and negative, but we should not stomp them before they have any chance to grow simply out of an automatical fear!
  3. kaidera

kaidera Member

I actually think you make a good point here. Recovery is a tricky, challenging process. If we continue to associate and spend time with people who we may have been very close with in the past but continue to partake in actions that are bad for us...like constantly going to bars, or parties at their place where you know x/y/z substance will be, I think it's more important to focus on yourself here. Create some distance. It's near impossible to rely on will power alone, especially if you keep putting yourself in situations where you'll have to deal with temptation.

Besides, it gives us the chance to make new friends that support the lifestyle we're trying to maintain now.