An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Get On The Show "Intervention" for Top-Of-The-Line Treatment

Discussion in 'Low Cost and Free Treatment' started by Giftbearer, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Giftbearer

Giftbearer Member

Both my son and I love the show Intervention and watch it religiously! In addition to being educational I feel it does a really good deed for many people who because of finances would not otherwise have access to sufficient treatment to overcome their addiction in the long-term. Just a week or two or even a month of detox isn't really sufficient to get addicts out of the woods and safely back to productive and happy, healthy lives. There is not only the physiological aspect of the disease that must be considered but the psychological, which can be every bit as challenging to overcome, and takes time.

Interestingly the famous TV show was instrumental in making the 90 day treatment model widely accepted by addiction professionals as "best practice". This may well influence insurance companies to extend what they'll allow.

Intervention provides 90 days of treatment (at the very minimum) to their participants, and they work hard to match the facility to the needs of the individual. The show's facility liaison, Jennifer Sneider has relationships with about 100 top-of-the-line treatment centers that cost anywhere from $50,000 - $120,000 for a 90 day admission. The addict (and sometimes family members also) get treatment entirely free of charge for being on the show.

The day before the intervention takes place families are worked with and trained for 6-8 hours in how to deal with the identified patient so that the intervention and treatment will have the best chance of success. Their Family Systems approach garners a 71% success rate! What's even more impressive is that Intervention doesn't cherry pick its cases for the easiest, but rather chooses from the most challenging and seemingly intractable ones; some of whom have tried many other forms of treatment without success, and whose families have been all but decimated by their loved-one's addiction.

In addition to the stellar attention both patient and family receives while the show is filming and while in the facility, staff follows up with participants on a regular basis.

I wish this had been available when my son, and his heroin addicted father needed it.

To apply for the show fill out and submit this form.
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
    kjonesm1 likes this.
  2. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Hey Giftbearer! Thanks for sharing.
  3. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

Thanks for this! I am sure it would be a good idea for many of those who cannot pay for treatment andit encourages families to go along with it. Sorry to hear about your family. Strength and faith in humanity can be restored by those who have lost the most.
  4. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiers Senior Contributor

While this show shows the very real problems and emotional turmoil of dealing with life-altering addictions many people would be ashamed to contact these people for help because of the notoriety they would likely get. No one wants to be labeled an addict and many people would not reach out for this help for fear that they would always be remembered for it.
  5. Kteabc

Kteabc Member

Intervention is an eye opening show. There is such a bad stigma around addicts and the show was able to show the masses what addiction really is. Majority of TV shows have casting calls for each show. They can be found on the Chanel operator website. Shows like Intervention may have an email address or application to submit to be considered for the show. If its an email submission I would make sure to give all the ugly details and dynamics of the family to stand out from other applicants.
    There are other interventionist that can help the family conduct am intervention and get into treatment. Its a very emotional and scary moment. Privacy might warrant a better reaction.
  6. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

I was thinking the same thing. I'm glad it helps for some people, but if I was currently needing help for addiction, the last thing in the world I would be open to would be airing my dirty laundry on television. I'm sure some people see it differently, and for some it might be great. I just know I'd be furious, and it would be probably set me back rather than help me.
  7. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

I absolutely LOVE this show and agree that the treatment is top of the line. It's too bad that something like this isn't offered on a broader scale, but its great that people get an opportunity like this at all. Thanks a bunch for sharing the link to apply for the show. I'm sure a lot of people here could benefit from it.