An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Getting Clean

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by dchampagne70, Dec 31, 2014.

1. dchampagne70

dchampagne70 Member

There is really one way to start getting yourself clean. You need to distance yourself from the friends that you do the stuff with. I mean no contact at all.
    The best thing to do is actually move to a different town and start over.
    I personally moved to a different state and just started over. It really works. Where I moved I was back to my old self and no one knew about my past use. I have been clean for about 4 1/2 years.
  2. drc52

drc52 Active Contributor

I think you're right about moving away to start over. Sometimes the things we have said and done in the past can create future negativity and make improving difficult. Good advice and great accomplishment on the 4 1/2 years!
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Moving away is not a viable option for everyone. It's pretty hard these days to get a job so quitting before getting a new job elsewhere isn't a risk many people would take. Best to distance yourself from your friends and tell them why you [will] no longer will hang out with them. They'll hate you for it but it hardly matters. Separates the fair weather friends from your real friends anyway. The latter will stand by you and even give you the support you need to keep fighting.
  4. petesede

petesede Active Contributor

I heard this from a person also. They just left and started over, and created themselves to be the person they really wanted to be. They said in the beginning it felt like they were faking their life, but after awhile they just really did become that person. Her problem wasn´t substance abuse, but kinda the same thing with her past.
  5. juno

juno Community Champion

Getting away from the people you use with is a good start, especially if they have not stopped using. If you need to move away to remove yourself from the negative associations, then it is not a bad idea. However, everyone may not have the means to just move. You have to build the capability to resist and adjust to your environment. Despite ending negative associations, new ones may always arise and you have to have the strength to walk away from them.
  6. blur92

blur92 Senior Contributor

I agree about distancing yourself from friends who use. Drugs are a social activity for addicts. When hanging out with one they are often going to want you to participate with them. They want someone to get high with. On the other hand, there are some who won't push you to join in. They genuinely just want your company and care for your well being like a good friend should.
  7. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Moving away from the bad influences is one way to get clean and sober. Leaving you past behind and not dealing with the drama would be beneficial towards your sobriety.
  8. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

Of course you need to separat yourself fron negativity. Some people might continue to live in the same town and just not associate with negative people. Some just can't be avoided and in some cases packing up and moving is the only option. Everyones situaiton is differnet, and so is their tolerance levels.
  9. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I am happy that you have now finally and successfully pulled yourself together. :) That is very true. If you want to start anew, you must make some sacrifices, and one of them is to cut loose the people who are just bad influences to you. It may be painful to do so but it is for the better.
  10. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Oh yes, this was the case for me. I honestly had to cut some so called friends off as if they were a cancer - because ultimately that's what they were doing to me. They would encourage reckless behavior and I just had to step right away from that.
  11. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

While moving away and ceasing contact may have helped yourself, that doesn't mean that it's going to work for everyone else. In fact, the average person doesn't have the resources to simply cut off contact with friends and then disappear to another town hundreds of miles away. Even those that do leave may find that a new location doesn't solve their woes, so that's important to keep in mind.