An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Getting rid of that feeling..

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by DangerSuit, Feb 29, 2016.

1. DangerSuit

DangerSuit Member

The one where you wake up in the morning and all you're thinking about is the next drink. That even though you try to shake it, it won't leave like a voice in your head.

When you're in the midst of a conversation, enjoying yourself, then it washes over you like a tidal wave and you can no longer focus on what anyone is saying. You're trying and trying, but nothing. And you're trying to care about those around you more than you care about the drink, you want to desperately, but it just isn't happening.

How do you shake it? How do you crush that feeling? How do you silence those voices? I use prayer, but it does not always work. Would love to hear your strategies.
  2. remnant

remnant Community Champion

I find prayer most effective though it fails in your case. You can also use the method of compensation. When intrusive thoughts trouble you, go for a long walk or do some engaging exercise. I have discovered that keeping yourself occupied both physically and mentally is successful in shutting out intrusive and tempting thoughts.
  3. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

For me, these days it's a couple of things. If I'm feeling like a drink, I talk to someone that I know will keep me accountable. I have family members and friends who have ridden out the struggles with me, and they're more than happy to lend an ear if I need to talk/vent about stuff. The other thing for me is exercise. I absolutely believe in the power of endorphins - getting out and going for a run always makes me feel better about things.
  4. integrity101

integrity101 Active Contributor

Oh that devil empty unfulfilled feeling. I know what you mean. Just remember it'll wear off in time if you put up a fight but can only grow stronger if you play along with it. Prayers help although there are times when you feel too demoralized to pray. This is a crucial time to be around supportive people.
    My strategy has always to be tough on myself and compartmentalize all my thoughts, activities, and friends into good or bad "mental cabinets." So when that devil thought creeps in, I send it to its rightful cabinet and immediately find something worthwhile to keep me busy. Everyone is different in their own ways so develop your personal strategy, stick to it, and the feeling will soon lose its hold on you.
  5. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

I would think that finding distractions is a good cure. Instead of thinking about the next drink, think about that next game you're going to win against your friends at the darts club or whatever. You need to find something to think about during those times where you lose concentration and your mind goes blank. Acknowledge the fact that just because you are thinking about that thing, it does not mean you have to act it out. The same way you think about punching someone in the face, but you know that you can go to jail for that and that it is not the right thing to do, keep them as thoughts, don't act them out.
    MrsJones likes this.
  6. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

You can start your day by drinking water or juice so that you get rid of that feeling. You can eat plenty of vegetables and fruits to detox your body. When ever you are attacked by the feeling that you must have it, you can try meditation or any kind of breathing exercise.
  7. MrsJones

MrsJones Community Listener Community Listener

@DangerSuit. I agree with @SashaS you don't have to act on those tempting thoughts. May I suggest that you say it out loud so that your friends and family can jump right in and help you to battle your time of temptation.
  8. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Many people have thoughts like those, regarding many different drugs, and that's not just addicts or former addicts, but everyone.

As others have said though, just because you have those thoughts, doesn't mean you have to do anything about them, and a lot of the time it's just your motivation that needs to be worked on, and your willpower to say no.
  9. akiram13

akiram13 Community Champion

I had those all the time. But I always said my will was stronger. I wanted to stop so I did what was necessary. Its always hard in the first stage of quitting but once you get over it and are able to focus your attention else where.
  10. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Do not entertain the voices - that has always been my strategy. When you know those "voices" are not really there to help you, find something worthwhile to occupy your time with. I try to focus on doing my job. I go out to the streets, buy food and search for people in need of food so I can give them what I bought. I help out at home. I play with our pets. I eat out. I visit places with friends or just meet up with them to catch up. I also write often and draw insights from various issues. I try to be useful. I try to find meaning in everything that I do. The voices cannot reach me whenever I'm in control of my head and my heart.
  11. DangerSuit

DangerSuit Member

Thank you @xTinx, that is wonderful advice. I like the idea of making sure everything I do has meaning. That would probably give me more of an impetus to stop myself - knowing that whatever action I take next should have a concrete purpose would compel me to put the glass down and do something else, anything else. I will take your counsel on board and see how I go.
    xTinx likes this.
  12. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Then I wish you all the best @DangerSuit! From the looks of it, you're stronger and much more in control of yourself than you let on. I will be rooting for you. Let me know if things are working out. If it's you, you can definitely do it. Regards!
  13. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Prayer may not work, but being busy and preoccupied will. If you start having those thoughts, then I suggest to just find an activity that will keep you 100% preoccupied. If you start craving for alcohol then opt for soda instead.
  14. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

It's not easy to overcome the urge to drink, or take other substances when you're addicted to them. You might be able to go without them for a couple of days, but then the urge will be very strong. It's important to partake in the 12 step program, and take things one day at a time. Recovery, will be a gradual but slow process. But recovery is possible, and prayer can help as well.
  15. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

You have to change the way you think. Your thought patterns for drinking have been established like pathways in your brain and so you automatically go to those thoughts. It is a process. Every time you change the way you think and deliberately do something else, it is like putting up stop signs in the established paths, while creating new paths. Just keep on doing this, persevere and you will succeed. Sometimes it takes a little while. Your brain does not control you, you control your brain! practice!
  16. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

The voice in your head that won't go away. I have to smile because it just sounds like you ate the wrong thing. Obsessive thought patterns actually occur because there is something in the system that doesn't belong. I do think I remember some effect like this after drinking. There is definitely something that draws you back into drinking more. It's like McDonald's but different. A few burgers and fries. Two days later or even the next day for some reason you can't get it out of your head. It's not normal. It's a chemical induced obsession.
  17. Mara

Mara Community Champion

It happens to the best of us. There's always that nagging voice deep within us that say, "Drink!" What I do is I keep myself occupied to block those voices out. And you always have a choice if you would listen to it or keep your ground. It's a continuous battle. Just don't give in.
  18. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

For me, it works better if I let those feelings and thoughts come until they pass and fade... I think confronting one's own demons and addictive thoughts are better in the long run. Once you are able to get through those feelings and thoughts, it would be easier for you the next time they come again. They say facing your fears is better because it makes you stronger and powerful. That's true... Once you are able to confront these thoughts, you will have the strength to confront them again in the future. And up until a time that you don't even get them anymore.

Hopefully you can get through this. You can do this! You are stronger than your cravings, that's for sure. Don't give in to them and let them pass through. Good luck and take care!
  19. Belovedad

Belovedad Active Contributor

You find something else to think about. Occupy your mind with something you love. Think to yourself: 'What else on this planet do I love more drinking?'. Bring that question up every time you're slipping.
  20. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

When you wake up every morning it is nice to think that it is another new day with lot of opportunities that will come your way. That is why always have that positive attitude in your mind and forget about this negative thought "to drink" alcohol. You can do many things throughout the day that will interest you and that will make your day meaningful. Keep that faith in your heart and prayers really work. God loves you. :)
    deanokat likes this.