An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Give Thanks

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Twinsmommy31, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Twinsmommy31

Twinsmommy31 Active Contributor

How do you show thanks to all those that have helped you in your recovery? What do you think is the best thanks they can receive from you?
  2. juno

juno Community Champion

I thing the best way to show that you are thankful for them being a part of your life and helping you make the change is to stick to it. Other wise all their efforts go in vain. Being present in their lives and available when they are in need is also a good start.
  3. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

I think you following through with staying in recovery and sober would be a first good way of showcasing your appreciation. I also think that also helping them out with the issues they might be struggling with is also something you can look into, just a simple reciprocation and returning the favor should do it! If you want to go the extra mile then making a small gratitude dinner or a little something along those lines would also be great. All the best with that. A thank you might seem like a small thing but hearing it from a genuinely grateful person always gives me a sense of satisfaction.
  4. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

People stand by you when you are struggling to overcome drugs so they can "have you back." I believe the way to appreciate all they've done for you is by spending more time with them if they are family and staying off drugs forever.
  5. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

The best thank you i would ever give to my friends is throwing a party for them and serving non-alcoholic drinks only. I would also try and be a role model to them given my history and being available if anyone of them needed advice on drug related matters.
  6. drc52

drc52 Active Contributor

If they helped you in your recovery it's safe to say that they really do care about you. Verbally expressing your gratitude should be sufficient, also be there when they need you.
  7. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

That's easy. Just tell them in person, face to face, without breaking eye contact. That seems to be the way it's been done since I can remember.
  8. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Maybe taking them out to eat outside or watch a movie together is a nice way to say "thank you" to someone who has helped you in your recovery. It's a step better than just saying a verbal thanks, right? Treating them out is a nice way of telling them that you want to make them happy for that day.
  9. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

Being thankful to someone or to other people for the things they had done to you in times you are in trouble and had problems in your life is the best attitude that you should show to them in return for their great support, care and help to you during those darken days in your life. You may not be able to give them material things in return for your thankfulness but your presence in their life and to be there also in times of their needs is just enough to say those words THANK YOU... to them.
  10. Linno

Linno Member

Great answer. I'm way too shy and embarrassed to truly thank those who deserve it. It's hard to just be so blunt. Plus you can never really pay them back properly, well that's how I feel anyway. So I really appreciate your comment about how staying in recovery is the first great way of showcasing appreciation. It may seem odd but I'd never thought about it like that. You can end up feeling a lot of guilt for not being able to give back to the people who have been there for you at your worst. So thanks for your great reply, it gave me a new perspective.
  11. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

The attitude of gratitude... Love it! Most times the only thing those people need from you is to be healthy and happy.
  12. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think the best thanks you can give them is to be the best person you can be so their help would not have been given in vain. Also it would probably be more rewarding if they are able to see that you are able to pick yourself up well enough to help others. There is no bigger privilege than being in a place to help others.