An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Going Blank

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by JoshPosh, Feb 24, 2015.

1. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Back in the day I had times where I went blank and I couldn't remember a thing. My buddies and I would go barhopping and at the end of the night I would find myself at home not remembering a single thing. All I had to go by was pictures on facebook the next day. Those days are long gone. I've seriously cut back and stay away from those all day drinking days.

Does anyone else get those blank spells?
  2. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonder Active Contributor

I have never reached that point mainly because I know exactly when I start to feel that I'm getting really drunk and I control myself from there. I personally do not like alcohol so it's easier for me to control in general. I also don't really like the idea that I will do things without my knowledge and I find people rather silly when they are in that state. I think people lose some dignity in those types of situations.
  3. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

I have had many of these instances, but the ones that shook me up the most were the blackouts I had which I do not remember moving my car from point A to point B after a night of drinking excessive ethanol beverages. One bad experience I remember was going out to swim and drinking a few liquor shots with my brothers and friends, and then next thing I remember is waking up in bed with a very bad hangover and my right leg swollen with cut marks all over it - I had blacked out and got my foot ran over accidentally from a friend, but I still do not remember the incident to this day. I check myself from blackouts by avoiding liquors and eating while I'm drinking ethanol beverages, and I don't move my car anywhere once I start consuming ethanol beverages.
  4. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I have never experienced blank spells but one time, when I got so drunk I passed out at the ladies' room and everyone else was trying to get me to stand up, I remembered everything - the conversation that went on, the words said to me, the people who said them, where I was and what happened to me. The only problem then was that I couldn't control my body. My mind's pretty active but all my muscles had gone limp. I woke up the next day with a terrible hangover and had to drink water and milk to feel better again. That was the first and last time I ever got so badly drunk.
  5. JoshPosh

I have to admit I've had those nights as well where I drove home and not remember doing so. Scary man. Really scary and irresponsible. But I did wake up naked with a beautiful girl next to me. So it was bad that I don't remember driving or doing anything with the girl.
  6. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

I've blacked out and drove home only once in my life. I remember dancing and drinking till 4 in the morning with my girls and I woke up the next in my bed. I never did it aagain because one of my friends got pulled over and spent the night on jail. It was horrifying!
  7. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

While I was reading this post I remembered one time when we had a visitor in our house my husband childhood friend. He traveled for a vacation to bond with my husband for 10 days he stayed in our house. There was incident when both of them had a drink one night although my husband doesn't drink and my husband friend got drank easily and got to sleep after many bottles of drinking beer. I am still awake then cleaning the mess when his friend got out of the room walking his eyes still sleepy and he goes in our living room and opened her pants thinking that it is the toilet then I called my husband hurriedly because he might urinate there. Then my husband held his hands and lead him to the toilet. The next morning we told him what happened that night and he said he did not knew he will do that and he was really ashamed for that moment he went blank.
  8. JoshPosh

I never had that happen to me before. But I did end up vomiting in the corner of my bedroom. I remember everything, but it must of been the fact that I couldn't make it to the toilet on my own two feet.
  9. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I've never had any blank spells, but I do have some friends that tell me stories of how they were unable to recall how they got home or what they have just said because they were so drunk. I guess that's one of the things that you have to consider when drinking, because you might say or do something incriminating, plus you might get robbed or raped because you were unconscious.
  10. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

Yes, I remember the blank spells... boy are they horrible, you don't remember a single thing and you are being told that you did this and that. Some of the things totally out of character and wow the walk of shame having to apologize to certain people that you might have offended also really is something I am grateful I never have to so again.

They really are terrible!
  11. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

There's a big difference between passing out & blacking out. Passing out is when you drink in access to the point where your body has hit the shutdown mode to save itself. When you black out you are still conscious (if that's what you want to call it) & mobile. You're doing things but don't recall what those things are. This is clearly incredibly dangerous for you &, potentially, for others. What happens when you wake up with no memory of the night before only to find a tricycle lodged in the grill of your car covered in blood? Then it's not a fun story to reminisce with your friends about.
  12. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

@JoshPosh It's good that it does not happen to you. My husband friend also couldn't not make it that is why my husband held his hands and lead him to the toilet. Maybe if I did not saw my husband's friend he might really urinate already in our living room. That's really one of the things that might happened when you went blank when drunk.
  13. VitaMuse

VitaMuse Member

This never used to happen to me years ago but started happening recently. Not every time I had a drink, only when I drank heavily. It can be quite scary because you have no idea what you done the night before. I too have made the foolish mistake of getting behind the wheel whilst intoxicated and I feel blessed to be alive, and lucky not to have heart anyone! I decided to cut down dramatically on my heavy drinking since this started happening more frequently, whats the point in going out and wasting money just for a mind of blank memories?
  14. Suvamees1

Suvamees1 Member

Hello there, i have faced this thing also. But sometimes, it's kind of funny, if you have been partying with your friend and next morning to you start to put the picture together. But most of the times, it's bad. Starting to worry what you may have done.
  15. VitaMuse

VitaMuse Member

Yeah, kinda like a scene from 'The Hangover' haha, but then, as you said, you begin to worry. Being so intoxicated can be dangerous not only to you, but to others around you, especially if you can't remember what you did the next day. That's what worried me the most, the lack of control over my own actions and memories.
  16. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I have never been to the point in which I did not remember anything that happened. I may have forgotten a few details, but always remembered major events of the night. I hate the sick feeling and the spins you get from being drunk, so I try to stay below that line at all times.
  17. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I remember when younger drinking a bit too much and was on the floor which was not good as I was not able to make my way to the bed and had just slept there. I mostly did not remember how much I had, and was surprised when told how much it was and I had fallen alseep on the floor and the next day it was the afternoon when I woke up and missed a whole day just about. At time felt real hungry, so had a massive lunch or dinner pretty much and kept me full for a few hours when I ate again at night and only had a small amount due to eating earlier.
  18. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

I am glad to say that I have nevr balcked out that bad, even when I went bar hopping, the first thing in the morning when I woke up I would rewind how the night went and what I did until the point that I got back home, and I am glad that every time, I could remember everything.
  19. JoshPosh

Oh yeah. I have blank spells and the passing out moments. I have already told my friend to never shave my eyebrows or strip me naked if I ever pass out in front of them, or they will feel the full fury when I come to.
  20. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I went blank once or twice in the past but I wasn't really too worried. I was with friends I trusted and I know they wouldn't have let anything bad happen to me. My family is very communicative with me so they always talked to me about how to go about partying and experimenting safely and responsibly, and from those conversations, one of the tips I got was to always make sure to be in safe places with people I trust. They also opened their home to my friends so as we could have a safe place to have fun.