An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Going cold-turkey vs. systematic withdrawal.

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by Metalhead, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Metalhead

Metalhead Member

Hello!

I am pondering about other individuals' encounters with going cold-turkey without hesitation to simply chopping down.

I drank approx 6 (40mls each one beverage) of 40% scotch at night between around 6 and 10pm. I began doing this around 5 years back for slumber and never truly thought I had an issue, until quite recently as of late, when I began waking in the morning with great frenzy assaults/uneasiness that last about an hour. I have summed up tension amid the day, yet I can adapt to it at the level it is at. I take 100mg Sertraline around 9 in the morning. I drink consistently and without it, am not able to rest. I have begun to attempt to chop around one drink consistently. I just began a week back and have chopped around one, so will continue onward. Simply inspired by individuals who run without hesitation with Benzo. In the event that you take it during the evening, are you still ready to capacity in the morning. eg drive an auto. I have an occupation furthermore do the school run in the mornings and evenings so not certain if this future a choice. Simply assembling data, I have a therapists arrangement today evening time, so will ask him too. I am new here, so simply searching for different people groups encounters. Much obliged.
  2. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I just went cold-turkey. And it worked very good for me. I think that if you choose a "systematic withdrawal" it is easier for the addiction to come back. You still DO consume alcohol. If you just quit, after a week or so your body will become used to not consuming it anymore. But if you just gradually cut down the amount your body will still crave for it. So I'd say it's better to go cold-turkey.
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

How you quit depends on addiction level. There's one group that can quit cold turkey because they haven't yet become dependent on alcohol. The other group will need some sort of re-adjustment, gradually cutting down the amount of alcohol they consume until they are able to quit. Some others can't quit unless they seek treatment.
  4. meenz

meenz Member

I believe that one would have to make the decision to go either cold turkey or systematically based on their level of addiction. If they are a type of person who doesn't feel like they need alcohol to function every day of their lives, they could probably just stop all at once.
    For others, they feel like they need alcohol. Whether this is to make themselves feel better or because they enjoy the feeling alcohol gives to them, it's still more difficult for them. Because of this, they may have to use the systematic route, which is okay. They should probably receive help from others as well.