An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Good Drunk, Bad Drunk

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by JonMark, Jan 28, 2015.

1. JonMark

JonMark Active Contributor

When I first started drinking in public houses, I was going through a phase where I was trying to learn how people interacted with each other. One of the first things I had to learn was to tip the bartender. I was never told how much though, so I would tip too much or very little. Most of the time it was very little. And I would go out and booze a lot with friends and by myself.

Then, I started getting better at the drinking scene and even tried to muscle through periods of anger when I would drink. I said to myself, "I can drink and be a happy drunk." So I went through that phase as well. I think overtime it made me a little smarter about people and my limits, until I started working in the service industry, learning how to hide drinks and get drunk all the same.

I'm not in the service industry anymore, for the simple reason that I can't get away with being cut about it. I think I've come out pretty beat up actually. Now, I enjoy a drink from time to time, with food on occasion. One thing I did learn from this was that there's no such thing as a good drunk, only a drunk drunk. You're either that or sober.
  2. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

Well, as a mostly happy drunk, I would usually deny your words, but having felt my limits a few times, I guess I'm not a happy drunk, I'm a happy-tipsy.

But it is interesting how alcoholism is so frequent among cooks and other members of the service industry. Good for you to have realized the problems of this before getting in too deep!
  3. ryan0039

ryan0039 Active Contributor

I've had a problem with overtipping for a very long time. I'll tip anybody way more than they deserve because I feel bad about how much it sucks being in the service industry. I agree with that ending part, there's only drunk drunk. Good way to put it.
  4. RingoBerry

RingoBerry Senior Contributor

I don't know why I loved drinking so much before, that feeling of tightening on my chest plus being on a complete daze. I did manage to quit almost immediately though when I decided to stop (girlfriend's ultimatum). Anyways, years after, I had my first bottle of booze after years of being free from it. That chest tightening feeling and the spinning sensation was back - but this time I didn't enjoy it at all. I never touched another drink since.
    bluedressed likes this.
  5. bluedressed

That sounds like the experience that people have after changing their diet to a more healthy one--- when they go back to oversugared, overly fat foods that they remember enjoying so much, they don't see why they liked it so much, they just find it gross. Same for veg*ans, I guess. I guess once we get off the hook, our body is just louder to hear when it tells us it does not need nor want this or that substance!
  6. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

Hi JonMark, Thanks for sharing you story.From what i gathered from all of it, people drink alcohol for all kinds of reasons and usually,if not careful with their drinking,the effects can be disastrous.Am sorry you were not able to keep your job,but the most important thing was that you learnt your lesson and am happy that you emerged as a stronger person out of that experience.
  7. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

Many people don't control their emotions when they drink, and honestly, it's really not possible to control your emotions. No matter what face you put on, your true feelings are going to come out whenever you drink.
  8. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

I commend you for catching on to the situation way before it got to a place of no return! I suppose the service industry can really push one to their limits and destroy you so to say! I'm not sure I totally understand what you mean when you say bad drunk; does this mean a person then starts throwing punches and basically acting out and being not only a danger to themselves but to other people too? If so then I think that there are people who can drink and not react in a wild manner, I know a guy who knocks them back a lot but is always very friendly and happy. He never gets into fights or arguments with anyone, as a matter of fact he makes people laugh all the time! With that said I suppose he could fall under a good drunk! Then again those cases are rare, so yes I find your analysis of the situation right on the ball.
  9. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Reading the tile alone, I first have the thought that it is about those who got drunk and behaved bad or good. Reminds me of some people who behaved violently when they were drunk. I also knew some who are just silent when drunk and not sure what are going on their minds. :p
  10. davidj96

davidj96 Member

I used to have a very bad drinking as well. During my senior year of high school, I started going to tons and tons of parties and this is where my bad habit started. I would drink so much and then drive home, and the next day I'd wake up completely clueless of what had happened the night before. I'm very glad to see that you have gotten past your bad habit.
  11. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I drank to excess when I was a bartender too and I'm interested to read @bluedressed 's comment on the prevalence of alcoholism amongst service workers. For me, it was a feeling that I was missing out on all the fun. I would be working while my friends were out having a good time. I suppose I started drinking so much to compensate.
  12. bluedressed

@missbishi I don't have this many kitchen experiences, but my partner and my father do. Yes, the feeling of missing out is a common one; the fact that the alcohol is right there, available, also is. Also, many places at the end of shifts give rounds of shooters, beer and sparkling... I talked about it with my partner, and he says it depends on the place and all, but he does expect that there is more alcoholism in this profession than others. He worked in Vancouver and said that in his working place, everyone except the cooks of the open kitchen drank a lot. And after the shifts, some of them went into clubs so that they could have the feeling of at least enjoying the night a bit.

I mean, working the evening/night shift in a restaurant gives you a different lifestyle than others and an easy access to a quick pick-me-up through alcohol. And if most of your colleagues do it anyway, then there is no stigma about it like there would be in other professions!
  13. fliktor7

fliktor7 Member

Drinking is the same as any other drug, just because it is legal doesn't mean that it couldn't hurt your health.
    Drinking sometimes doesn't have to be a bad thing, but if people use alcohol daily it could be really bad for your body and mind.