An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Growing up with a drug abuser, an outsiders story.

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by MysticPizza, Jun 23, 2015.

1. MysticPizza

MysticPizza Member

I've grown up with Drugs in my life. It started shortly after my brother was born, my mum was a mess and turned to drugs. It was a downhill spiral from there. We had no money, could barely eat. I never had any of the stuff normal kids my age did. But what was worse was my brother was taken into care. We barely got to visit him, my mum was classes as an unfit mum but due to me being 16 I decided to go back home and stay with her. She has been to rehab 3 times and failed. After a year of my brother being in care she started to turn her life around. She went to meetings, starting coming off of the said substance using a medical subscribed alternative. 2 years on she has her son back which is a VERY rare thing to happen. She is a good mum. She always put her children first, even if she couldn't afford to. She's now 5 years clean and we are a family again. On top of this she had decided to quit smoking all together. She's not smoked a cigarette for over a year. This is beatable. It does take a lot of hard work. But the out come out weighs the drugs. What they do physically and mentally. Out of 6 sisters and brothers of my mum, she is the only one who got out and got better. I am so proud of her. She is the strongest woman I know.
    I did share this on another thread but felt more people would see this here. There is ALWAYS hope.
    xTinx, Jenga, deanokat and 1 other person like this.
  2. gracer

gracer Community Champion

Hi @MysticPizza! :) Thank you for sharing that story. You have such a wonderful mom. She might have messed up before but she was able to turn her life around because of her love for you and your brother. As a mother myself, I know that she loves you guys more than herself that she was able to fight her addiction by making you and your brother as her inspiration in choosing the path to change. I also commend you for having the strength to stick with her all though out. Now, you are all living a brand new life proving that love can really conquer it all. I'm happy for you! :)
    deanokat likes this.
  3. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Wow, you must be so proud of her! She's done amazingly well, she really has. Thanks for sharing such a positive story with us.
  4. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@MysticPizza... I posted this comment in the other thread, but I'm posting it here as well. :)

Wow. Your story brought tears to my eyes. Thank you so much for coming here and sharing that with us. It sounds like your mum fought a tough battle, but prevailed in the end. What a wonderful thing that she kept on fighting and found the light at the end of the tunnel. I hope her story serves as an inspiration to others.

Kudos to you, too, for continuing to support and love your mum through all of this. Family support can make such a difference when fighting addiction. I'm so very proud of both of you.

You're right when you say "This is beatable." Thank you again for sharing!
    MysticPizza likes this.
  5. JessiFox

JessiFox Active Contributor

I was intrigued by your title as I, too, grew up surrounded by drug use but have always had an outsider's perspective. I've never done drugs and have never felt any interest in them at all. I was raised by my grandma but my mom and aunt had drug issues, and struggled with addition for years.

Always interesting to hear other peoples' stories. So fantastic and inspiring that your mom was able to beat her addiction. It definitely CAN happen and we need more success stories shared to give other people hope :).
    deanokat likes this.
  6. Jenga

Jenga Active Contributor

Hey there MysticPizza. First of all, I'm really happy to hear about your mom and her story. It's quite inspirational! There's always hope, even when things seem bleak.

Even though she went through such a tough time, it's amazing to know she put her children first. That's the sign of an amazing mother. I'm really happy that you and your mother's story has had a happy ending so far. Thank you for sharing <3
    deanokat likes this.
  7. frogsandlegos

frogsandlegos Active Contributor

Thanks for sharing your story! I'm glad your mum is doing well. Glad you are doing well too, I know it was tough growing up like that, and glad you didn't continue the cycle.
    deanokat likes this.
  8. queend17

queend17 Active Contributor

I'm glad that your mother made it out A-Okay, it would've been horrible if another person became a permanent victim to drug abuse, It's bad enough when people are drugs as is, but it becomes ten times worse when it affects the person's family especially the family that person is trying to raise to become proper memebers of society... But trust me you're not the only one who has to deal with that as well, but that doesn't mean we can't all come together and support eachother... Not only due I appluad your mom for kicking her habit so she can properly take of you guys, but she did it before it had any lasting effect on your life... like me with my almost my mother's entire imidiate/nuclear family on some form of drugs...
  9. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Hey @MysticPizza! What an inspiring story you've shared to us here. Although it took me some time to see this post, I somehow feel blessed that I still managed to come across it. I'm likewise close with my mother and she had 8 other siblings, two of which became drug addicts, while the rest went about their lives dramatically. I, on one hand, grew up in a fairly normal household and I'm very thankful for that. I hope you and your mother stay healthy all the time! Continue to be inspired by her and follow her example. Whatever you learned from her, impart it to your kids.
  10. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

MysticPizza, you shared a very inspiring story. There is always hope and your life and the life of your family is testimony to that. I wish you and your family continued success. Maybe in time your mom's life might be able to affect others in her family and help to effect change in their lives. There is always hope.
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  11. kgord

kgord Community Champion

T
    That is great, I think that where there is a will there is a way, and it sounded like your mother had a strong will to get clean and sober, and I am very glad it worked out for her. I think she did it for herself and her kids.
    Winterybella likes this.