An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Growing up with alcohol

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Muraki, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Muraki

Muraki Member

Is it possible to grow up in a home where alcohol was misused on a daily basis and still be a person who never touches it?

I found many people saying that if you are alcoholic that is mostly because of the way you were raised, blaming it either on the family's physical or alcoholic abuse. But I came to wonder is it possible to grow up in such a home and never touch alcohol and be a responsible person in society. I know that would be a really hard thing to do but is it impossible or are there more such people than society would think?
  2. maryannballeras

maryannballeras Senior Contributor

On a perfect world, I think it is possible. If the person has established his values really well and is thoroughly firm in his decision not to drink despite his environment, it can be possible. But sad to say, we are not on a perfect world and chances of finding a person like that is really slim. But just like what folks say, there's always hope. :)
    Muraki likes this.
  3. Allen24

Allen24 Active Contributor

I have a good friend who doesn't drink at all because her mom was an alcoholic. She does not want to be tempted to follow in her mom's footsteps.
  4. Parassd

Parassd Active Contributor

See, there are people who have alcoholic parents and they drink too, but seeing their parents abuse alcohol, they never abuse alcohol themselves. I'm one of these guys, and I guess I'm a responsible person in the society.
  5. Igotthebuzz

Igotthebuzz Member

I've been growing up around people that drink alcohol. I say that because they are not actually alcoholics. When you first see it, it scares you greatly. But as it continues you become immune to the behavior. Alot of things become second nature but you use the crazy things they do as motivation to not do what they did .
  6. Lackluster

Lackluster Active Contributor

My father and mother both have drank, but neither have developed anything resembling dependence on it. My dad might drink two or three beers a year and mostly in a social setting. My mom never was a big drinker, and might have a glass of cheap, weak wine from time to time.

I, on the other hand, used to drink like a fish. The last person in my family to be as bad of an alcoholic as I was was my great-grandfather, and he was a horrible drunk.
  7. eaglesgift

eaglesgift Member

My parents introduced me to wine when I was relatively young. They thought that if I learned about alcohol in a controlled environment, I would be less likely to abuse it in later life. Unfortunately, that theory did not pan out too well for me. As a naturally rebellious person, I think I may actually have been less likely to encounter problems with alcohol in later life had I witnessed my parents abusing it at home.

I don't think you can really determine with any accuracy whether an individual is going to be negatively or positively affected by a home environment in which alcohol abuse is the norm although I can see that it could easily increase the chances of somebody going off the rails in the future.

I am sure that there are many adults who grew up with parents who drank too much but who themselves drink responsibly today. However, your friends and colleagues may not be all that keen to tell you about their alcoholic parents so it might be difficult to find examples of such people in your work and social circles.
  8. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

I only drank wine years ago and it was the blackberry kind it was okay. I did not want to have anything to do with beer and I would like to stay that way.
  9. I do believe it's possible. My father is an alcoholic and I was around it all the time, but I don't drink that much nor do i have much of a desire too. I only drink socially, and it's extremely rare, once or twice a year, if that.

I have known people though that have grown up around it and it completely turned them off of alcohol, they have no desire to drink, never have and never will.
  10. Askani

Askani Active Contributor

I have known many people from homes with a parent that drank heavily that won't touch the stuff. They saw first hand how alcohol can be abused and the problems it causes. Seeing that breakdown of the family unit can be very sobering and made them question ever drinking as their Father or Mother did. So yes I would say it is possible even though children born with alcoholic parents are often born with a predisposition to drinking and abuse.
  11. jaray87

jaray87 Member

I personally think it would be the opposite - NOT growing up and being restricted to taste even the slightest alcohol would lead to alcohol abuse later in life. I had an uncle who was smacked around as a kid because he would take sips of his dad's beer. Fast forward 30 years later, he drank a case of 24 every day.
  12. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

My grandmother was an alcoholic and drug addict. She was also abusive. My mom was the kid in the ER telling nurses "I fell down the stairs". Anyway, she never used drugs and rarely drank. She'd have a glass of wine or two at dinner if it was a holiday or special occasion - which was hilarious because she was SUCH a lightweight. Long story short, I believe many of us are genetically predisposed to addiction but it's never a 100 percent deal - not even when both parents are addicts or alcoholics. As far as the environment we're raised in, people like my mom exist. She hated drug and alcohol abuse, and was the most loving affectionate mom ever who never laid a hand on us (even though we deserved it LOL).
  13. stagsonline

stagsonline Active Contributor

I believe it is possible but most likely in homes where only one parent had an addiction problem. In such a scenario, a child raised in such an environment may have the moral support of one parent and see the bad effects of alcohol on the family and thus avoid drinking. In cases where both parents engage in alcohol, children are most likely to end up the same.
  14. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I grew up in a home where alcohol and drug use was the norm and practiced. My parent were heavy users. As I grew into a teen I dabbled into alcohol but never drugs. Til this day I still am a social drinker. But when I start I can't stop.
    I wondered if somehow that addiction was handed down to me from my parents. Maybe a addictive gene or just seeing it everyday while growing up. I wonder how I would of turned out if my house was "clean".
  15. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I grew up in a family where my two brothers and my dad were addicted to alcohol. The effects of alcoholism were not hidden from and because I knew what I'd be getting myself into I decided not. Someone tried to get me into drinking but when I tasted the whiskey he offered, the stuff was so horrible that I never touched it or any alcohol ever again. While those exposed to such an environment may be predisposed to be addicts themselves, sometimes someone breaks the chain.
  16. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I personally think it could go either way. I was born, and grew up in alcoholism. I started drinking at 17 then I became a full blown drunk myself. I have 3 brothers 2 of them are cronic drunks. I have watched them lose everything because of alcohol. I to lost a lot, but they I got sober. I have 1 brother who isn't a drunk. So I guess it just depends on the individual.
  17. jbepp

jbepp Active Contributor

It is definitely possible, but it's not common.
    Usually people who grow up with alcohol develop a taste and a psychological dependence to alcohol. BUT there are some people who simply don't like alcohols and what it does to people so they refrain from drinking. I think it really depends on the individual.
  18. HerrKaze

HerrKaze Member

Alcohol is a part of most cultures nowadays, and personally I'd find it hard to hold myself if I'm surrounded by friends or family who actively drink. Environment is what influences alcoholism, for sure. Look at Arab countries, most of them don't even consider alcohol as "a thing" because of a longstanding disdain for it; so conversely, societies that enforce or otherwise disregard it are definitely able to have someone drink.
  19. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Yes, I think that is very possible. Lots of kids grow up with parents who are obsessed over something but they themselves turn out to be completely opposite. Granted, some of them might have acquired the obsession trait and it may manifest elsewhere, but it still is entirely possible to naturally deviate instead of gravitate.
  20. Onionman

Onionman Active Contributor

If there's a genetic disposition to alcohol then it might be harder to get away from it.

But in general I think it depends on the narrative you take on board when you watch your parent drinking. You might finding yourself drinking as it was your way to relate to your parent, or you might avoid it because you saw what it did to them.