An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Growing Up With Alcoholic Father

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by dkelly, Nov 20, 2015.

1. remnant

remnant Community Champion

It is noteworthy that your experience with your father changed you for the better. I have observed that children brought up by alcoholic parents either become alcoholics or social deviants. On the other hand, they may become reflective and learn from their parents experiences and turn out to be responsible.
  2. bonzmistrz

bonzmistrz Member

Things are tough and future situations are unknown when growing up with an alcoholic father(or both parents).
    I always swore I was not going to drink due to the fact my father practically choose that over his own children, and who wants to be like that.
    I of course had my younger years and drank and have fun, then went through a bad drug addiction(as my parents did) spell, and then I met my husband. I sobered up and got right(although I never found smoking marijuana a problem). Well I am 28, have 5 kids(sorry 4, my oldest drowned in 2012 three weeks after I gave birth to my baby girl on LeapDay) I am still married and have had to deal with two close family members who have died in the last year in a half.My grandmother from Luxembourg and my uncle who was like a father figure(considering him and my aunt have helped raise me since I was two).
    Now after the son of my death I picked up smoking marijuana when I was able to, helps to sleep better at nights than lay in bed picturing my sin drowning and screaming for me...Anyway I picked up drinking again, then I got tired and quit, and a before the death of my grandmother I drank for three months. It was almost everyday, vodka and beer.
    Since the late death of my grandmother and uncle I have found myself back to drinking. Jeager and miller. I finally got a $20 check in a couple weekends ago and first thing I did was ask my husband if we could please get some jeager. He tried to tell me no(as he has drank since way before we got together and is trying to quit) but I just kept on.
    Anywho.. I guess I really had no no right to say what I did as not wanting to turn out like my father. As my father may have started out young, but got worse than I had ever seen him after his mother and father separated and then several years later his brother committed suicide. Glad to say he is now in his 50's and has quit drinking, holds a steady job and goes to church when he can. In all of my 28 years I honestly cannot remember ever seeing this side of my dad. I am sure I have talked your ears off enough today, but I appreciate having a place where I can express how I feel and not feel like I am being judged or told I don't want to hear it. Thank you
  3. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Thanks for sharing that with us, @bonzmistrz. Growing us with an alcoholic parent isn't easy. The effects can stay with us for years and years. I'm glad your father has finally quite drinking. It's great that you are getting to see another side of him. :)