An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Guilds/clans in video games

Discussion in 'Other Recovery Support Groups' started by Carmilla, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Carmilla

Carmilla Active Contributor

I know this is probably a long shot but as an avid gamer, I was wondering if there were any guilds or clans in any games that double as a support group? That seems like a cool idea to me and I think it could help a lot of people, including me with my alcohol addiction...

If you have any suggestions, please tell me. I only have a PC so can't join any console groups but feel free to talk about them so others can join.
    Damien Lee and IrishHeather like this.
  2. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I remember there was one when I was playing a game with wizards in the past. They were really nice and supportive, I made some friends over there too!
    I am sure there are support guilds/clans in certain games.
  3. IrishHeather

IrishHeather Active Contributor

wow!!!! Carmilla, what a fantastic idea! I have been playing World of Warcraft for eight plus years and have never heard of this. I will most certainly have to do more research into this. My current guild would have a hard time with this concept as we actually have lots of folks show up drunk on raid nights... not very productive to say the least, but vent does get pretty interesting. Gonna pass this idea along to some of my guildies and see what they think... awesome idea!
  4. Auril

Auril Active Contributor

A few years back, I was in a World of Warcraft guild that was sort of a de facto support group. Many of the members had mental health or substance abuse issues and we tended to support each other a lot via Ventrillo voice chat. Unfortunately, our guild leader relapsed into drinking and the guild slowly fell apart :(. It was really cool while it lasted though.

I know back in the prime days of Second Life, a lot of virtual support groups sprung up on there. I'm not sure about what still exists today.
  5. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

I never thought of finding support through guilds or clans, despite being engaged in video gaming for many years.

However it's certainly possible, as these groups tend to be very supportive and are always up to provide members with advice or a helping hand.
  6. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think those clans and video games can be a good support groups. But of course they should not be online games addicts cause they could also influenced others to be addicted into games as well. :)
  7. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I'm sure some games do have clans with that kind of members in mind, but sadly most of the time those clans are more game based, rather than real game based, so isn't so easy to find groups like those :( But if you are lucky enough you might, I personally love playing video games, but no longer play MMRPGs.
  8. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

I haven't come across any, but I'm sure there are if you look hard enough. This is actually a great idea and I'm sure gaming communities can provide some solace to those struggling with an addiction. However, such groups should never take the place of professional counselors who are trained at treating addicts. At the very least, they can encourage substance abusers to seek out help.
  9. Mims

Mims Active Contributor

I haven't heard of any guilds like this, but it's definitely a great idea. You could try using meetup; it's an excellent site where you can connect with people that share the same hobby or interests as you. If you're the sociable type, you could just create your own guild. Sites like reddit and meetup can be used advertise it and find people who are struggling with addiction that can use this to recover.
  10. GettingBetter

GettingBetter Senior Contributor

This is a cool idea, you should try to set one up! I bet you could do something like that through the discussion boards of whatever game you are playing? A game like World of Warcraft has so many players all over the world there would surely be enough people interested in that to make it happen!
  11. coverdude

coverdude Member

seeing the age of the last post.. sigh. cant find game clubs for addicts or mental disorders.