An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Handling Pain without Drugs

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by GettingBetter, Feb 16, 2016.

1. GettingBetter

GettingBetter Senior Contributor

What advice can you give to people trying to manage chronic pain without resorting to narcotics? I have read that medition can help, and certain exercises depending on what the pain is, but what if it's something that exercise won't help? I definitely am still a believer in good old-fashioned Tylenol and Advil (especially not used every day or rotating their use), but what other resources are there for those trying to manage chronic pain without narcotics or pain killers?
    EditorsRHumansToo! likes this.
  2. EditorsRHumansToo!

EditorsRHumansToo! Community Champion

I think you're doing very well with your resolve to a drug-free approach to healthcare. I am the same. With my high BP every now and then since 2012, I immediately recognized that stress (family problems, financial...) is the determining target to address. A doctor quickly prescribed me a 5 pack calcium blocker ( I don't remember the hard-to-pronounce drug) treatment, and " Panadol for its side-effects such as constant headaches."

Then she continued by answering my question, "After this 5 pack, what next?" She assured me with, "You will come back to me and you will have to be on a lifetime BP treatment." I researched and studied about the calcium blocker related drug treatments. I found out about Dr. David W. Tanton, Ph.D. His book, "A Drug-free Approach to Healthcare."
  3. oportosanto

oportosanto Community Champion

What sort of chronic pain do you have? I would try being seen by an osteopath as they can solve things that many times regular medicine cannot. Have you tried that?
  4. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

There are some natural remedies I've heard which can be used for pain relief. Having never used them I wouldn't recommend any but you should do some research and also try to find out if anyone you know has used said remedies and obtained some good results before you try using them.

This could be a good starting point:

http://www.everydayhealth.com/news/cheap-natural-quick-chronic-pain-remedies/
  5. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

I know a few people who have found relief from chronic pain via acupuncture.
  6. oportosanto

Yep, acupuncture is another good suggestion. I have tried it myself not because of pains, but due to stomach ache and allergies and I did have some relief.
  7. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I have heard that yoga is very good for neck and back pain because it strengthens and stretches out the muscles. If you talk to a yoga instructor, they can give you a customized routine to follow for your needs.
  8. oportosanto

My cousin is a yoga instructor and I never had curiosity because I know it messes with powerful energies and I would need to be properly informed before trying yoga as I respect that too much.
  9. Rosyrain

What do you mean that it messes with powerful energies? Could you explain this further because I am interested. Are you talking about like spiritual energies or your body in general?
  10. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

It depends on the type of pain; some pain cannot be managed without drugs but unfortunately leads to addiction. There are natural remedies that help with pain; these can be introduced immediately the drugs are taken off to avoid addiction.
  11. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I've also heard good things about acupuncture, for a range of different pain. Also a lot of people say meditation has been crucial for them in getting into a different headspace when dealing with chronic pain, so that could possibly be something to look into as well.
  12. oportosanto

I understand that there are different types of yoga and their aim is to activate the chakras or energy centers. These are powerful energies and it has to be the right kind of yoga to activate the right energy, imo.
  13. Rosyrain

Oh, I see what you are saying. Yes, you do have to be careful when you are calling upon energies to enter your soul. Yoga is a peaceful type of exercise from what I know about it. I have never tried it before,, but I am interested in learning.
  14. oportosanto

Yep, apparently it seems something very peaceful, but the yoga types are very different and we could be talking about different sorts of energy we would be dealing with.
  15. melody

melody Active Contributor

I hate to sound like a nut job, but I have suffered a lot of pain in my life. I have had three children with no pain killers, a tumor, operations, tests, more operations, endemetriosis and lupus. However, I am in the least amount of pain that I have ever been in. When you are in pain, and more pain and more pain, and unending, one of two things is going to happen. The pain wins, or you win.

At some point I realized the connection between pain an pleasure. Have you ever laughed so hard you cried, or poked a bruise and somehow it felt good? I use a form of thought, mediation I suppose. I focus, not on the pain but on the way that it feels, and then pull that feeling away from pain so that it can be converted. Energy is never destroyed, it only changes form. The intent is to change the way that I perceive pain, so that it does not feel as damaging. It is then that I can cope with the pain and move beyond it.
  16. 6up

6up Community Champion

They should stay focused and always look for motivational materials. They should know that they are not likely to get better by taking drugs or alcohol. They should also be watching motivational videos and avoid friends who may want to buy alcohol for them.
  17. oportosanto

I've been experiencing some pain in my right arm and occasionally I've been taking some pain killers. Surely it feels way better, so I do need to control it as no way I want to abuse them!!
  18. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

That is very tough for a lot of people. But the only thing I could suggest is looking into herbal and natural remedies for the body pain.
  19. oportosanto

That is a really good suggestion @doatk22. Overall we should choose the healthy way, the sustainable way, not the easiest way that will sooner than we think make us sick and addicted.
  20. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Maybe you can try herbal medicines if you are open about it. There could be tea or herbal beverages that could help ease pain. There is yoga too which seems to be helpful for some practitioners. Massages could also be an alternative.