An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Handling Pain without Drugs

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by GettingBetter, Feb 16, 2016.

1. oportosanto

oportosanto Community Champion

Yep, there are quite a few natural products we can try that help us relieve the pain and have no side effects. It's just a matter of looking in the right place.
  2. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

There are many possibilities such as the above as well as acupressure, reflexology, physical therapy, chiropractic care, and more. Sometimes, you try them all in an attempt to avoid drugs that can cause dependence. Massage therapy, TENS therapy, red light (or photonic therapy)... sigh.

I'm going for a consult for pain management. My appointment is soon. I'm hoping they suggest something I haven't tried and something that isn't injections or surgery. I'll let you know if I learn any other options that sound promising.
  3. EditorsRHumansToo!

EditorsRHumansToo! Community Champion

Chronic pains, probably because of ageing (over 50s), has been a constant companion with me. Not fun. They slow me down. Make me cringe when pain triggers badly. But, in my opinion and judgement, prescription drugs do not help lengthen my life in any way I look at it. So, I stay clear of the pharma drugs. Coconut oil, fish oil, and exercises help alleviate some of the chronic pain.

You might need to consult a health care professional who genuinely cares about your health and believes in natural alternative.
  4. remnant

remnant Community Champion

When most individuals experience pain, the reflex reaction is to rush for painkillers. The body is amenable to conditioning. I have recurrent toothache problems. But I only take painkillers if the pain is extreme. I now find it easier to resist pain without painkillers during the subsequent pain cycle. Distracting activities like listening to a sweet song or an absorbing hobby during the pain cycle can really help.
  5. serenity

serenity Community Champion

The other alternative treatment methods have already been mentioned, like acupuncture, herbal remedies, and yoga, so it's up to you to decide which path you want to take. Consult an alternative doctor and discuss this to him.