An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Hangover cure?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by roger1003, Mar 23, 2016.

1. roger1003

roger1003 Member

What to do if you get drunk? My friends told me that to get around a hangover completely, one should drink lots of water. Some even said that I should drink ionized water. Is this true?
    KaseyHopeMartin likes this.
  2. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I'm not really sure but my dad always says that drinking tons of water is not the best idea, he thinks that's dangerous. It's been a really long time since I've been drunk enough to have a hangover but I used to drink sports drinks such as Gatorade or Powerade, that worked for me.
  3. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

My biggest cure for a hangover is not to get one in the first place ;)

Prevention is always better than dealing with the aftermath if you ask me!
    deanokat likes this.
  4. Markblogger12

Markblogger12 Member

Prevention is definitely the best route to go. Avoid going too hard with your drinking. But something that used to work for me is coconut water. Taste isn't the best however, the electrolytes do wonders for the body.
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Alcohol dehydrate's you, so drinking water does help you to not get a severe hangover, but like others have said, the best thing is to try and make sure you don't drink that much alcohol that you'd get an hangover in the first place.
  6. LoveEcho

LoveEcho Community Champion

Like everyone else said... not getting a hangover is best. But, the reality is that every once in a while even the most responsible person likes to let loose. Some people prefer to drink. I see no problem as long as you're being responsible about it and not doing it too often.

Water is probably your best bet, stay hydrated throughout the night. After every few drinks, drink a bottle of water. Also, Gatorade... some kind of drink to replenish your electrolytes. Pedialyte also works, but you obviously shouldn't be drinking if you have children in the house.

It's okay to have fun but you have be responsible.
    KaseyHopeMartin likes this.
  7. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I have been told that having a glass water between each alcoholic drink can be a good idea. It keeps you hydrated and it's a fact that alcohol does dehydrate you. If you think about it logically that would, in effect, be the same as watering down your alcoholic drink. However, the absolute best cure for a hangover which cannot be beaten is more sleep. The longer you sleep, the less severe the hangover will be when you wake up. But, you know what they say - prevention is better than cure. So, if you don't want a hangover don't drink!
  8. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

Lemonade is a good cure to hangover. After being drunk, people have made me drink lemonade and it has helped me to get on my feet. You can also chew lemon/line slices or drink a spoon of lemon/lime juice.
  9. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

The best way to avoid a hangover is to not drink enough to get one in the first place. If you feel the horrible effects of a hangover, that means you drank way too much and need to take that into consideration. I do not think there is a real cure for a hangover.
  10. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

It could be true that ionized water could help. Alcohol is acidic and ionized water is alkaline, alkaline lowers the acidity in your blood stream. I used to drink green tea for hangovers which is also alkaline and that helped. I never tried ionized water for that but it sounds like a good idea.
  11. Hangovers are mostly due to dehydration, and the effects of the alcohol has on your brain while under the influence. The important thing is to remember that alcohol is a poison, so a hangover is a side effect of it. When you drink, don't drink to get drunk. A beer every now and then is fine, or a glass of wine or whatever have you, but the goal is not to get wasted.

To avoid getting hang overs, drink at least 16 ounces of water (the more water you drink the better),before you go to sleep. When you get up in the morning eat a good hearty breakfast as the food will help absorb and digest the rest of the alcohol in your system. I highly suggest protein and toast. Eggs, bacon or sausage, and a couple of pieces of toast is a great way to help kick the 'after drinking' feeling. Again drink lots of water, and then a couple of aspirin should help with the rest of the headache.

But again, getting a hang over is a sign that you over did it, and you really should try to avoid that.