An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Hangovers

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by remnant, Feb 28, 2016.

1. remnant

remnant Community Champion

After drinking alcohol especially for those who club at night, most people experience dreary hangovers the next day. These are characterised by feelings of guilt, drowsiness, fatigue and general disorientation, even suicidal tendencies. I usually immersed myself into a spiritual trajectory to heal my emptiness. How do you ameliorate hangovers?
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Hangovers usually are an indication that your body is dehydrated so drinking a lot of water can help. In fact alcoholics should try to drink a lot of water after consuming lots of alcohol to lessen the effects of what will come in the morning.

I've also heard it said that ginger tea and spicy food can relieve a hangover. The spicy food does work [I've seen it in action] but I don't know about if the ginger tea is all that effective.
  3. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I avoid hangovers by not drinking but I realized it is not that easy for some too do. I guess the suggestion would be to drink lots of water the next day to get re hydrated.
  4. akiram13

akiram13 Community Champion

Hangovers are the worth and make all alcoholics say I will never drink again. Then later on drink again to get over the hangover. Sleep and soup are teo major helpers in hangovers. Water only made me throw up more.
  5. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I used to drink coffee to "mitigate" the onset of a hangover but unfortunately, acidic caffeine doesn't cut it for me. I end up puking some more. Dairy products are a no-no too. I prefer hot soup and a full bottle of PH-regulated mineral water. Pretty effective.
  6. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

That's my advice these days for anyone wanting to know how to cure a hangover too! I tell them they won't even have to worry about having one if they don't drink in the first place!!
  7. henry

henry Community Champion

Well, a hangover is nature's way of telling you, "don't drink too much." The way I deal with it is by eating something just before I go to bed. If My head still hurts the next morning, I'd just take some pain killers, eat something again, and they usually go away after that.
  8. Mara

Mara Community Champion

I drink a lot of water whenever I have a massive hangover. And Gatorade. Then I just eat fruits. I don't eat heavy meals as I will just retch and spew them out.
  9. Min

Min Active Contributor

A lot of people are saying to drink water - I agree, but I just want to add that another great thing that I've learned is to drink water WHILE I'm out drinking. I won't exactly have sip for sip, but drinking water while you're drinking alcohol does 2 things: 1) it fills you up so that you're drinking liquor slower -- lessening the extent to which you will be drinking too much and 2) it hydrates you continually, rather than the next day when your body already is suffering some of the consequences of dehydration. I do this often and haven't been hungover in years!
  10. Hozyboy

Hozyboy Active Contributor

Best way to get rid of a hangover is to sleep it off.
    I usually wake up with major hangovers because I go all out when partying the feelings up there are accurate.
  11. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

I know people who have hangovers take lots of coffee, sleep and fresh air. This helps them clear their head and relieves them fast. Others take paracetamol especially when they have to go to work the next day but I know all these just has little effect until the alcohol gradually wears off from the body.
  12. Dee Hill

Dee Hill Member

So I've learned that all the hangover cures for after drink can help you if you start them while you're still drinking. I take dramamine to reduce feelings of nauseousness. I also take a Goody powder to help with headaches. And as everyone has said I drink water while I'm drinking to ward off getting dehydrated in the first place. I also try to make sure I have enough food because none of these will help if drinking on an empty stomach.
  13. rz3300@

rz3300@ Senior Contributor

Well I thankful to say that I no longer am having to worry about these, but I am pretty sure that I had it down when I was drinking. I would always chase with water, which sounds gross I know but I never really took shots I just took little sips so it wasn't that bad. I also just make sure to drink a lot of water throughout the night and especially before going to bed. Seems to do the trick.
  14. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

A physical hangover sucks.
    An emotional hangover is even worst!
    That's when you wake up and realize the transgressions that happened the night before.
    Or maybe you don't even remember the terrible things you did, the nasty things you said and all the money you spent.
    Wounds heal, and a hangover goes away.
    But sometimes you cannot take back words you have said and people you have hurt.
  15. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson Community Champion

Shortly before I gave up drinking for good, when I was drinking copious amounts of alcohol, suffering blackouts and drinking completely out of control, I stopped suffering from hangovers. I'm still not entirely sure why but I didn't actually ever feel 'good' at the same time. Theres no doubt that I was probably going to die within a year or so If I didn't stop drinking and to lose the one thing about drinking that stopped me drinking all day every day was the scariest thing that happened to me. It was actually the catalyst that finally made me take steps to stop drinking altogether rather than just procrastinating about it and continually falling off the wagon. Before that stage I found that the symptoms of a hangover were greatly improved by drinking several pints of water in the morning and eating a few slices of toast, even though I didn't feel like ever eating again.
  16. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

When I was a big drinker, I was one of the lucky people that never really got bad hangovers the next day. My alcohol tolerence was quite high, so I could drink quite a lot before it affected me at the time, or the day after.

Maybe I should have put one of the unlucky ones instead because maybe if I did get hangovers, I wouldn't have drank so much in the first place.
  17. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Hangovers can be alleviated by drinking a lot of water because alcohol makes you dehydrated. You also need to take in a lot of sugar. That is the second thing that alcohol depletes your body of. Most of you didn't know that. Then to top it off you can take a over the counter pain reliever like ibuprofen. If you still have the will to take all 3 before passing out, you will notice that the hangover the next day won't be so bad.
  18. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

My hangovers never involved suicidal tendencies, lol. I think if you have suicidal tendencies during a hangover I'd truly consider seeing a professional, because there is clearly some other underlying issue. I actually stopped drinking because one day I had the worst hangover ever after just a few hours... I took that as a sign my body could no longer handle alcohol so well. I hated feeling that way... my head hurt me so bad! I had a lot nausea, wanted to throw up so badly and even the light hurt my eyes.