An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Happiness

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by crc3thebest, Jun 20, 2015.

1. crc3thebest

crc3thebest Community Champion

The overall effects addiction makes us forget how it feels to be happy. Sometimes, we forget how soothing an experience could be in daily life, such as watching the sun set. At times, our craving blinds our overall experience in life. I remember it use to be so fun running in the hills, the feeling was unlike any I have experienced before. How could anything block an experience out?
    bhu, NanouHammie and Rosyrain like this.
  2. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Exactly. Your addictions could really make you forget what is the feeling of being peacefully happy even just by waking up in the morning, seeing the ray of sunshine slithering in from your window, and the feeling of gratefulness for being alive. When our cravings get the best of us, we tend to overlook these simple but wonderful things in life.
    bhu, crc3thebest and Rosyrain like this.
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Happiness means different things to different people. For those who think money = happiness, once they don't have enough they'll be depressed and that's probably why most people never are happy. They need more and more money.

Society is to blame because kids are taught from an early age to believe that material things are the source of happiness. This sort of flawed reasoning couldn't be further from the truth. And once the kids are grown up, amassed some wealth and realize that happiness can't be bought they start using drugs.

There is only one happiness in this life, to love and be loved.

George Sand
  4. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Oh Rainman, you are so wise and I always love reading your quotes! Happiness is in the eyes of the beholder and different things make different people happy. I am most happy when I get to get away from the craziness of everyday life and go some here quiet with the family or a close friend. I am most happy at the beach or camping somewhere.
    bhu and crc3thebest like this.
  5. crc3thebest

That is so true! Addictions seem to always cloud our focus for the bad.
  6. crc3thebest

Praise God for your knowledge on what the true meaning of life is, which is to walk in love! Thank you for posting an inspirational message.
  7. crc3thebest

Glad to hear you express what makes you happy! Remember true happiness can not be altered and is easily sustained.
    Rosyrain likes this.
  8. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Touche! Addiction puts desire first over reason and sensible emotions. That's what makes it a big hindrance to happiness. You have to dissolve this desperate desire for you to be able to live happily because you can't let it get the better of you all the time or a meaningful existence and other things that matter will escape you.
    bhu likes this.
  9. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Being addicted can cause someone forget what matters most in his/her life. It may give some artificial happiness from the start but any form of addiction can cause problems which is definitely not happy.
    bhu likes this.
  10. NanouHammie

NanouHammie Member

Addiction can turn any normal human into a monster. I went off of my meds that were prescribed to me by the doctor after I researched how bad they actually are for you. I did not realise how badly addicted I was to my dosage until I noticed that every time I forgot to take the pills, I would develop a cold and would develop insomnia and the shakes. I suffered for 3 months while weening myself off from Citalopram and Quetiapine and Clonazepam. I treat myself with Marijuana now, it helps my depression, Autism spectrum disorder, as well as Arthritis and time of the month pains. The herb is not addictive and is not something that you can overdose on. My whole experience makes me question a lot about the medical practises and government laws.
  11. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Happiness is one of those things in life that can be easily achieved if you know what makes you happy. I find happiness in spending time with family and good friends, being out in nature, and being creative through arts and crafts. The problem many addicts face is that they do not find the time or will power to discover what makes them happy because their mind is altered by the substance. You have to be able to think with a clear head to find happiness.
    bhu likes this.
  12. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

The question is ; how could anything block out an experience? It seems like you are asking why does it not feel the same? Why does this effect the degree to which someone feels happy in life like it felt before?
    It's not just drug addiction that does this. It actually can happen to anyone just in general. Living, existing and breathing the body gets bogged down. Toxins, prescription antibiotics, experiences that are no desirable. Negative events and failures. All of this adds up to a dulled feeling. It's normal, it happens over time. Drugs and addiction just add to it.
    Eliminating toxins and putting healthy foods in the body are the best way to bring happiness naturally. This way happiness and a good feeling is more easily accomplished or even felt. It's fairly simple really. It's like just imagine that you have all this junk in your body from head to toe. Now what else would you expect for it to work properly? Feel the same, operate the same way. No, it wouldn't. So that dull feeling happens to most over time. You just have to figure out how to charge it up.
  13. monty

monty Active Contributor

According to a study, it has been seen that when you take any drug you feel awesome and very confident and it seems to be that you are in heaven.It is similar to that when you relapse it also feels the same.
    But taking drugs in larger amounts makes your achievements common and you don't feel that much happy of yourself
    and then your mind start to do something to achieve something and you do the wrong thing and leads to decrease in your present happiness
  14. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

Happiness is ...
    Enjoying nature (watching sunset for example)
    Playing with kids (if you don't have any you can play with the kids in your extends family)
    Traveling (seeing amazing places, meeting amazing people)
    The list can go long.
    bhu likes this.
  15. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Community Champion

Happiness is a skill that must be sharpened over time. Drugs can be a shortcut, but nothing can replace contentment, peace, and fulfillment earned over days, weeks, months, and years of making the right choices.
    bhu likes this.
  16. serenity

serenity Community Champion

That's why people should never take drugs in the first place. It just decreases their quality of life and it makes them go insane and do criminal stuff. It may make them forget about their problems, but that is only temporary.
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  17. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I definitely think addiction makes us forget how to be truly happy. We're always chasing that temporary high, when I think sometimes we forget that just getting back to basics is where true happiness is. A great meal, a chat with a friend, getting a pedicure or manicure, reading a really good book...all those simple things are things that bring me joy - and some people might think those things seem dull, but to be able to find happiness in everyday life situations to me is where you really know you're onto a good thing :)
    bhu likes this.
  18. bhu

bhu Active Contributor

Excellent topic! I like the posts everyone has shared so far, too. For me, happiness has been erased by making poor choices. Whether it's medicating my emotions with food or alcohol, allowing myself to get distracted by society's programming about money and materialism or allowing others to stress me out with their expectations and how far I fall short of them, all these things steal my happiness. I reclaim it by choosing self employment, working at home online, moving to the woods, letting go of clubs and organizations and relationships that no longer reflect my values.
  19. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

Some people got into addictions because they want to escape the reality. The reality of problems, issues and traumas that haunt them for life. And in a way, drugs block out those sad realities as well as true happiness. Yeah, in a sense, being addicted to a substance keeps you elated for a while until its effects are finished. Then you're left feeling the harsh truths of realities which makes you want to be into that substance again. And it's a never-ending cycle, unless you do decide to stop the addiction.

I just wish that addicts can start to appreciate their lives more instead of destroying it with drugs. Yes, you cannot feel those emotions with drugs but isn't that a shame? All emotions, whether bad or good, are a part of life itself. You cannot be happy all the time, just like you cannot be sad all the time. And feeling all those emotions make us human. It feels nice to be happy, yes, but being sad is also a nice feeling. It means you feel something, it means you can empathise with others.

So be happy, sad or scared... Just don't feel nothing.