An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Hardest substance to quit?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by seatones, Jun 12, 2015.

1. seatones

seatones Member

Any people who have been addicted to multiple substances in here? I'm curious to see which was the hardest to quit.
  2. Baye's Mom

Baye's Mom Member

The hard drugs were very easy for me to kick. Its the cigarettes that I can't seem to shake. They say nicotine is more addictive than heroin.
  3. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I do not have experience in getting addicted to anything more in multiple substances. But just in my opinion, I think all substances when someone got addicted to it will be having a hard time kicking it. It could also depends per person.
  4. Angst

Angst Member

I was a pill popper and cocaine user. Opiates were the hardest by far. Still struggling unfortunately.
  5. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

http://www.elist10.com/top-10-addictive-drugs-quit/
    there is hype about heroin that it’s impossible to kick once you get addicted to it . . . Heroin is considered the most addictive drugs to quit

I don't believe though that there's is any drug that's harder than the other(s) to quit. Ask an alcoholic who's been struggling with it for a while and they'll tell you it's the hardest to quit. Meth users would say the same. As would those who are addicted to prescribed meds. All of them are very hard to quit but whether or not someone actually manages to beat their addiction depends entirely on how willing they are and to what lengths they'd go to say goodbye to their addiction
    MyDigitalpoint likes this.
  6. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I was told that cigarettes were the most addictive drug out there. I know people that have quit that say the addiction so so strong, that even years after quitting to get a small hint of smoke to hit your nose, they start getting cravings to smoke again. I asked about weed and meth and cigarettes were the choice of most addictive drug.
  7. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Speaking from personal experience, I also have to agree that cigarettes a have been the hardest thing for me to quit. I've managed to stop a few times before but I always end up smoking again.

I've managed to cut down but still haven't been able to kick the habit completely.
  8. Se7en

Se7en Active Contributor

I've heard that crack is so addictive it cracks you if you don't get your dose. Althought I don't have any experiences with it.
  9. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

This is my take on the subject, I personally found alcohol and cigarettes to be the most difficult to quit. However my thoughts are this has little to do with the substance and everything to do with our society. I think the harder stuff is easy to quite because it's easy to get away from it. With booze and smokes it's much harder because you can just go to the store and buy it, and people around you in daily life can be smoking or drinking.
    Think about if you are trying to get off crack/cocaine. You can avoid being around it easily, just don't associate with users and dealers and the places they are.
    If you are trying to quite smoking its so much harder. You may just be trying to walk into a store or out of your where and there could be people smoking.
  10. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

This is what I was about to say, because it's not only about alcohol, drugs or substances someone could be addicted to, but also tolerance to these is different for each person, as it is their willingness to quit and recover.

In fact someone may find gambling harder to quit regardless this isn't a substance but a brain rush to get trying their luck at it.
    Rainman likes this.
  11. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I think cigarettes are the hardest thing to quit because you do not have to hide them from the public. You can walk down the street or go into a bar and smoke because they are legal. People can light up at anytime and so the habit forms and not only do you have to get rid of the nicotine addiction, but also the habit as well.
    JonnyMacdonald likes this.
  12. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

Honestly, that is more of a personal question because many people deal with addictions differently, but I would have to say it is either cocaine or cigarettes. Cigarettes because they are smoked so publicly and coke because, well, it's coke.
  13. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I am sorry. I hope things get better. I will pray for you, if you want prayer.
  14. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I have never been really an addict, but I was kind of a heavy drinker before. Now, I just drink occasionally, just when there is a social event or something.