An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Has anyone ever considered exercise as a form treatment?

Discussion in 'Questions About Treatment' started by Aaron, Dec 9, 2014.

1. globulon

globulon Member

I believe that exercise is the closest thing to a cure-all that we have. Not only does it promote physical wellness, it does wonders for mental wellness and an improvement in life outlook and attitudes. Convincing someone to start exercise is probably the most effective way to combat a downward spiral and improve the effectiveness of other treatments!
  2. Teresa

Teresa Senior Contributor

Yes, I think exercise can be used as a treatment or part of treatment for many people. For those with Obsessive compulsive disorders exercise could be or become an addiction as well.
  3. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Senior Contributor

I consider exercise as treatment for many things. Anything from staying sober to sexual frustration can be treated with a nice session at the gym. I'm recently discovering the beauty of exercising, and I must say it's pretty amazing. I originally started because there were a pair of jeans that I use to be able to fit to perfectly, but now it's a bit of a struggle. I discovered that working out makes me feel almost a good as a nice meditation session...almost.
  4. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

Sometimes exercise in itself might not motivate us enough, so why not joining some sort of competition even with exercise, at a social level, that could get us going. ;)
  5. fliktor7

fliktor7 Member

Of course, that's a great idea. In my case, I should say exercise myself has helped me a lot when I was anxious and want to smoke.

When you train yourself, your body gets exhausted, and that makes you feel great when finish, it even can eventually make you forget about the substance in question!
  6. Gelsemium

Pretty much, the body releases toxins and creates other chemicals that are good for the normal functioning of the body. More, we get our mind away from the drugs.
  7. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

I have to agree with a majority of the posters in here that exercise can be a great way to recovery and I also think that it should definitely be incorporated into the treatment program! Exercise releases most of the pent up energy, stress and can keep your mind away from wondering into emptiness which will ensure that you have no extra time to think about the substance you are addicted to or even feel sorry for yourself. I also think that it keeps you highly motivated!
  8. Gelsemium

I just read that some addictions don't advise exercise after detox, that can lead to depression, so advice from a doctor could be helpful.
  9. catherine_sky

catherine_sky Member

Exercise has always been know to offer good benefits to a lot of people on many levels, both physically and psychologically. Its maybe not everyone's cup of tea, but can always be adapted to fit each individual's life. I do believe exercise can be of great support, as an outlet, a distraction/focus and of physical changes. I find that exercise can also be addictive and this in itself could have its own discussion. However for working through certain other addictions, it can be a life saver. If you can get into it, really focus on it and use it to your advantage then it could really have some brilliant outcomes for helping through addictions. I guess its about timing maybe, readiness and ability to consider changes. Exercise (however small) can give you a real sense of achievement if you can get it going and keep some momentum going.
  10. Gelsemium

That's right, exercise is the best when fighting obesity (an addiction as well IMO), but as for "conventional" drugs it can simply mean a so needed change in the life-style.
  11. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

Yes, my uncle did that to lessen his alcohol intake. But even while he was on alcohol, he did lift weights, though not on a regular basis. But when he decided to lessen alcohol, he consistently exercises. His house seems to have been transformed to a gym. It is a really productive and healthy diversion for him. Aside from that, he spends his time playing with his grandchildren and tending to his small business. So at night which was his usual drinking session, he was either too tired or maybe, fulfilled and satisfied to ever think of drinking alcohol.
  12. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Exercise does help from all indications. I spoke to this in another thread. While I have never been addicted to drugs and alcohol I have found that exercise pulls me out of a bout of stress or seeming depression. The link I am providing below speaks to the subject in some detail.

http://www.recoveryranch.com/articles/exercise-drug-alcohol-rehab/
  13. Gelsemium

Exercise gets our body clean from toxins and clears our mind from nasty thoughts. How many times I exercise and after that I feel more relaxed and tolerant?
  14. stagsonline

stagsonline Active Contributor

I believe that engaging in sports can play a huge role in helping you recover from drug addiction. It not only helps you keep fit but also reduce the amount of time you would be spending out there doing nothing. However, to make positive gains out of this option, it is advisable to seek the help of addiction experts who can help you decide on the right exercise program for you.
  15. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Senior Contributor

I think that there are many people that used exercising as a form of treatment. I think that it's a form that really works as well. I feel as though exercise is always recommended on top of regular treatment could help a lot of people.
  16. 003

003 Community Champion

Probably a very strong sports program that's going to take all your time of the day. Exercise and sports really play a big role in developing someone's discipline and resistance to substances. It alone can already make you fulfilled and satisfied. So if one is committed to a sports, then he wouldn't have the chance to think of something else even after his doing of his sports because, he'd go flat out.
  17. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

This is the best thing to do for yourself no matter what your problem is. It is going to help so much. Sweat a little and do something physical. People who exercise regularly for years have a much better mindset. They are focused and have really great personalities. I can always tell a newbie in the gym. They don't have the mindset yet. Full of negativity.
    People that make this commitment to themselves just emanate positivity. It takes a bit but eventually you get there and things start making more sense. If you are looking for a rush and are trying to kick drugs. Jog or sprint to get the endorphin rush. Pump some weights get the blood flowing. Acting petty or trivial disappears. Turning to drugs will no longer make sense to you. You'll stand taller and upright. It just makes you feel so great.
  18. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I think it really depends on the addiction you are trying to tackle, and how far along you are in your recovery. It's never a good idea to stress yourself too much when you are starting out, specially with new habits. It's always a good idea to wait for a bit until things settle down a bit.
  19. LeonasSword

LeonasSword Active Contributor

Exercise is definitely a wondrous integration to any treatment regimen. Exercising avails palliate stress and relinquishes endorphins -- all of which can avail curve your urges to partake in your substance of cull.
  20. luckyones9980

luckyones9980 Member

For me a daily exercise routine helps curve the urges and with time you start feeling healthier and you notice the difference in your body. I think it is important to make daily exercise a part of your recovery plan.