An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Has anyone ever considered exercise as a form treatment?

Discussion in 'Questions About Treatment' started by Aaron, Dec 9, 2014.

1. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

Of course it will not cure everyone's addiction but it can definitely help most people. Not only are you spending free time doing something constructive and healthy, but exercise can greatly improve your body and image, in the best way possible. You can get fresh air in your lungs and you can lose weight. Its great starting a group or going to gym because then you are also being social and for some drug addicts that could be something they're missing out on. I think it is definitely something everyone, must do, not only drug addicts. Some of us do live busy lives with little time but if we re-organize and prioritize, we can improve our bodies and minds through exercise.
  2. obliviousme

obliviousme Member

Yes, I've heard some people do this. Actually, i believe anything that occupies your mind enough to forget about your cravings is a good form of therapy. It could be exercising, drawing, painting, etc, something that stimulates your mind and the end result is satisfying.
  3. gloriavitori

gloriavitori Member

I think exercise as a treatment depends on how deep you are into your addiction.If drugs have become a major issue in your life where your daily life activities are being interrupted.
  4. gloriavitori

gloriavitori Member

The path to drug addiction begins with the voluntary act of taking drugs. But over time, a person's ability to choose not to do so becomes compromised.