An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Has anyone ever stepped away from sobriety and meeting rooms, only to return?

Discussion in '12-Step Support Groups' started by Sarasmiles, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Sarasmiles

Sarasmiles Member

I'm curious if anyone ever got and stayed sober, maybe for years, then stepped away from it, and I also mean going to meetings. Have you ever discontinued going to meetings, and why? Did you stop enjoying them? Was a relationship involved? Thank you and bless you on your journey. :)
  2. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Sorry, I didn't see your post before, but while I was never in this situation, I have a friend that was also struggling with alcoholism for years, coming back and forth of those meetings he had to attend.

Reason he argued is that he was ready to go alone with the supportive help he used to find there, but eventually failing to go alone, and returning to get the support he needed.

Eventually he moved to another city and I haven't heard from him since.
  3. thelawless1

thelawless1 Member

I stopped drinking in AA 25 years ago, In the beginning I did a meeting a day for about 3 years, After that I dropped back to 4 or 5 for 7 years or so. I was doing 2 a week when I moved from a major city to a country town, One meeting a week, 4 punters and I was the longest sober by a decade and the youngest by a long shot. Struggled with it and eventually stopped. I haven't done a meeting in some years. I'm still off the grog and living a reasonable life, Would it be better if I had access to more AA - most assuredly. But I still have no desire to drink. I put that down to a thorough immersion in AA for many years.
  4. danjon

danjon Senior Contributor

I've known lots of people who've stopped going to meeting over the years. Many become disillusioned with what they see as a "cult like" character to AA and other groups, and others just move town and never have the impetus to join another group.

I must say that the recidivism rate varies among those I've known who've left, some having stayed sober, others not. It'd be hard to put it down to leaving, but maybe it was. It's always multi-factorial, but it probably does play a part.