An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Has anyone kept the friends?

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by JoanMcWench, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

It's hard to keep friends when you keep disappointing them, only real best friends which knew you before you have been struggling with adiction will stay with you and try to help you, such friends are worth a blessing for their sacrafise.
  2. One of my worst fears are the DRUGGING FRIENDS!!!! Immediately after rehab, I was ecstatic that my husband had new friends in recovery and he wouldn't try to see those who were active. Against my better judgement, I said yes when he said he wanted to SAVE A DRUGGING FRIEND. He was gone for 2 days and I had to bail him out again...I couldn't explain the amount of frustration I felt then. But my love for him was stronger than my doubts and when he went to another friend for another salvation project. He actual did it. He got a friend in rehab... AND I COULDN'T BE MORE PROUD.
    MyDigitalpoint likes this.
  3. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

I had never friends at all, so to me it wasn't a major issue left behind people who were more likely mere acquaintances.

So that stopping drinking far from being hard for the approach of personal relationships, it was great time because starting from here I began to make real friends.
  4. MyLife

MyLife Member

The hardest part of letting go of the friends is the fact that when you are new in recovery, you don't feel like you belong. You feel like "normies" are strange and not like you. It feels like no one understands the way you are feeling or what you are thinking. When you are trying to find your way out of the dark, it feels like you are all alone. It feels like no one understands what you are going through and if they just realized how bad of an addict you were, they wouldn't know how to help you. That is why finding some kind of recovery group is so important. not all people find recovery the same way, whether it is though a church recovery or a recovery therapy or Narcotics Anonymous, having a group of people who have been where you have been makes all the difference and makes letting go of the old associates that much easier.

In the beginning... Listen. Listen to the stories and listen for your story. You will find it in the most unlikely places. the person sharing your story might not me the same gender as you. They might not have even used the same drug(s) as you. But someone, somewhere, will tell your story... It will be something that resonates with you; making you remember how you felt, or the panic of a specific situation. It might be the feeling of relief you felt or the fear of the unknown. If you don't hear something that makes sense to you, come back again and again. Listen and learn what it is like to live free of addiction. In those small ways, you will find your way out of the dark. And in that climb, you will find freedom.
  5. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

I tried that at first, but I wasn't able to keep the friends.
    Unless they also want to get clean it's really hard.
    But now I have new friends! Some of them do drink, but not to excess and they don't pressure the rest of the community to drink.
  6. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I actually did get back in touch with part of my old friend group for a brief period, and I didn’t start drinking again. However, it highlighted how awful I felt around even a small portion of those people, so I had to cut that off before it got any worse. It was getting back in touch with a different group of friends that made me go a little overboard on drinking again. I didn’t see it coming, but I should have. I stopped hanging out with them quite a while ago as well, and there are no hard feelings, so it hasn’t been an issue.