An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Has Anyone Managed To Use Alcohol Responsiby?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by bsthebenster, Jul 23, 2015.

1. 6up

6up Community Champion

If you want to quit drinking then you are on the right track. You will have to reduce your intake so that you can manage to completely quit. One question, are you reducing your beer intake because of financial issues or its just your wish?
  2. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I rarely ever drunk away from home for the same reason. I can buy at bottle of wine for $8 that will last me at least 2 days as opposed to buying a glass or a mixed drink at a restaurant.

I know you mentioned that you drink up to 6 drinks a day and that is still quite a bit for your liver to handle. While it is much better than the 20 or more you used to drink, you should try for no more than 3 per day if you are going to drink.
  3. Emerson_B

Emerson_B Active Contributor

I would agree that 3-6 drinks is still a bit much but from your usual 20 drinks then I would say it is an improvement.

If you are looking at totally giving up drinking, I think you still should consider giving up completely. The alcohol strips you of your inhibitions. You drink 3, you start to want more so you get 1 more, then another and another, and another. At some points you are able to stop at 3 but its just like torture, you are just tempting yourself more and more.
  4. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

Have you tried cutting back even remotely?
  5. Matthodge1

That's honestly smarter and safer, really. Unless you find a place that you just really enjoy.
  6. Matthodge1

That is what most former alcoholics have told me. I guess that is really for the best.
  7. Auril

Auril Active Contributor

I have actually. Since I stopped heavily drinking, I've have drinks here and there socially and been fine. I have the added issue of taking psychotropic medication which severely limits my drinking now though - more than one or two drinks and I will be very sick about 4 hours later! I think it also helps that I'm no longer around other problem drinkers. One person in particular with whom I hung out with when I had the drinking problem had a problem himself.
  8. Thejamal

Thejamal Active Contributor

I've never heard of a program for recovering alcoholics that says its good for alcoholics to go back to drinking at any point or any time. What happens if you lose control one night and just go binge drinking? If you were an alcoholic at one point, you're always an alcoholic.

I would urge you to try and get back on a program and become sober. 3-6 drinks a night is still quite a bit and it can only snowball from there.
  9. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Yes. I went from being a heavy drinker before to a social drinker now. I think it's all about self-control/self-discipline. And also, avoid places and situations that would just trigger you to go back to your addictions. I am pretty sure you can do it. Just have a little faith in yourself.
  10. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

It's probably for the best if a recovering alcoholic steers clear of the booze altogether. Like all addictions, there is the temptation to think "one won't hurt". The problem is keeping it at one.
  11. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I certainly have :) I never thought I could, but I do now. But please take into account that my body can no longer deal with alcohol as well as it did before I got my gallbladder removed (I had to get it removed because it was very infected). Before that surgery and even during the first 4-5 years I was doing great, but then I started to notice my body could no longer handle it. I started to dislike alcohol, specially tekila.

I can still drink from time to time, mostly once a year... sometimes once every two years, only during special occasions. My alcohol cravings will never be the same... all thanks to that surgery. Happy about that actually.
  12. movingforward1

movingforward1 Active Contributor

Every time I quit and relapse in my alcohol abuse, I think "this time I will be able to control it". Sometimes, I even get away with it for a while. But, inevitably, alcohol catches up with me, I drink until blackout and make a crazy spectacle out of myself. There is no controlling alcohol.
  13. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Senior Contributor

I have yeah but for me my focus of my addiction was never fully out of hand when it came to solely alcohol, I've been good about it the last few months just going out and having a beer or two and never really letting it get out of hand (So yeah so good so far, but we will see)
  14. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

A recovering addict or ex-addict never should overestimate their control over a substance which they once abused. Drinking a glass of wine daily or a bottle of beer for example could for a little while convince the person who drinks thusly that they are in control. But what will that person do when their body begins to crave more alcohol? Do they stop drinking or start drinking just a little more thinking it wouldn't make a huge difference.
  15. stridee

stridee Active Contributor

I know a lot of people that have used alcohol responsibly. A lot of people tend to drink so much that they get drunk out of their minds (which leads to the inevitable hangover). There is a limit that each person can take, and it is up to that person to understand when it is time to stop drinking. Not everyone has the same tolerance level. Just because your friend can drink two beers and still be sober does not mean that you can too. If more people used alcohol responsibly, I feel that fewer deaths would occur on a daily basis.
  16. henry

henry Community Champion

For me, drinking has always been a problem, because I'm the kind of drinker who likes to get drunk. If I'm not going to get drunk, I rather not touch the stuff. That's why I say that people like me have to drink at home. That's the only place I can drink in moderation. I buy a bottle, and when that's gone, I just go to bed. But, if I go out drinking, it's a totally different story, and a lot harder to keep under control.
  17. mickella18

mickella18 Active Contributor

I have not gotten piss drunk in months and it is not to say I have stopped drinking, I have just toned down.

When I go out with my boyfriend I limit myself to only one drink and I never mix my liquor. I have found self control and it has assisted me greatly in getting back my life.
  18. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

Let's not be dishonest and say that alcohol is entirely bad. If consumed responsibly, I'm pretty sure you both could live well, but if you take too much, it will go the other way around, that's a guarantee. It's happened to me for about 2 years to take it excessively mainly due to personal family problems, but I eventually quit. I'm also quite sure those who take alcohol excessively are a minority.