An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Has anyone supported your recovery?

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by marydawn, Sep 12, 2016.

1. marydawn

marydawn Administrator Community Listener

Is there one person who comes to mind that always supported your journey towards recovery? Support is essential for your sobriety. Maybe it was your dog. Your best friend. Your parents. Your brother. Your teacher. Your colleague. Here is your chance to celebrate and thank them for all their support.

Who stood by your side all throughout your recovery journey? Share with us in the comments below how they helped you beat addiction :)

Your answers will be compiled into a post for #RBRecoveryMonth, to celebrate not only those who beat addiction, but the loved ones who never stopped fighting for you.
    deanokat and Donnchadh like this.
  2. Donnchadh

Donnchadh Active Contributor

Yes actually in my own recovery there were so many people who stood by and supported me. It's something I've never really thought about until I read your post the number of of people who were there for me i honestly can't count my family my friends and my entire community which run into the 100s. They're too numerous to mention individually even during my drinking and using none ever turned their back on me. Strange I've never even though about that thanks for reminding me. But if I were to pick from the whole id have to say that my parents and siblings nephews and neices aunt's and uncle's they were there during my using and my recovery and I can't say how greatful I am to each and every one of them. Without them I certainly wouldn't be replying to your post. I'm so so greatful to them one and all and so sorry for all the pain and anguish I've caused them. That was the initial stages as time goes on the people who help me most are the members of my home AA group with the contuined support of all the aforementioned. Thanks a million I'll never forget the love and support you all showed me lol Hugs and xxx to you all
    deanokat likes this.
  3. marydawn

@Donnchadh...thank you so much for sharing :)

I was thinking it might be cool to share this sentiment with them...I'm sure they'd love a reminder of how grateful you are. Loved ones really do make life so sweet.
    deanokat likes this.
  4. Donnchadh

Donnchadh Active Contributor

Absolutely if you feel it might help someone just go on ahead and do. Hopefully it'll give somebody a glimmer hope
  5. Jw23

Jw23 Member

i hid my addiction to drink & cocain from everyone other than my girlfriend, who I lied to time and time again, she's been with me at my best and my worse, and she has always done her best to help me although she doesn't understand addiction that has never stopped her doing everything she can for me, and without her i truly believe I would be dead right now, I haven't drank or touched drugs in roughly over a year i find it to hard to count the days I have been sober as it's just a reminder of who I was, and how badly I treated her I have relapsed more times than I can count and she's still here, and we are doing better than ever, and I'm doing my best to stay clean, and I'm making up for all the lost time with her, she is truly my rock and I'm the luckiest person in the world to have her.
  6. marydawn

@Jw23...I love this!

When you find someone that loves you to that depth and so unconditionally, they are someone you want to hold onto for life. So happy that you have her support.

Congratulations on your recovery!
  7. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Jw23... Congrats on being clean and sober for over a year! That's an amazing accomplishment and I'm super proud of you! @marydawn is right: You are incredibly lucky to have such a supportive person in your life. Use her as motivation to keep doing the next right thing. And please know that you can always come here for help or support, or even just to vent. You are not alone!

Wishing you continued success with your recovery!