An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Has anyone taken adderall for an extended period of time and was able to come off of it and complete

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by Nho Huynh, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Nho Huynh

Nho Huynh Member

І hаvе bееn tаkіng аddеrаll fоr 4 уеаrs nоw аnd іt hаs dоnе wоndеrs fоr gеttіng mе mоtіvаtеd tо dо wоrk аs wеll аs bеіng gеnuіnеlу іntеrеstеd іn lеаrnіng. Тhіs іs nоt sоmеthіng І wаnt tо lоsе аs І аm hарріеr thіs wау. Му grеаtеst fеаr іs thаt І wіll nоt bе аblе tо funсtіоn wіth оut іt, mу dоsеs hаvе rаngеd frоm 30-40 mgs оvеr thе раst 4 уrs.
    Наs аnуоnе tаkеn а sіmіlаr dоsаgе аnd саmе оff оf аddеrаll аnd stіll bееn аblе tо dо funсtіоn аs thеу wоuld whіlе оn іt? Наvе І tаkеn thіs mеd fоr а lоng еnоugh реrіоd оf tіmе thаt mу brаіn wіll nеvеr rесоvеr tо whаt іt wаs bеfоrе І stаrtеd tаkіng іt? І аm рrераrеd fоr аbоut а оnе уеаr rесоvеrу tіmе. І wоuld hаtе mоrе thаn аnуthіng tо nоt bе аblе tо funсtіоn fullу wіth оut іt.
    Наs аnуоnе еvеr bееn іn а sіmіlаr sіtuаtіоn аnd suссеssfullу саmе оff оf thіs drug?
  2. cameronpalte

cameronpalte Active Contributor

You can function without Adderal, but it it will be a long purpose and your brain function will be less than it was. With how long and how much you have been using it (normal doses = ~20 mpgs), you will begin over time with the same does to see your brain function go back as your body gets used and will have worse problems when you get off. This drug will help you temporarily but it is not worth it in the long run.
  3. sammy

sammy Active Contributor

If you truly are taking it for an attention deficient disorder, you are likely correct in that you won't be able to function at the same motivation level as you do now if you do stop taking it.

You could try slowly tapering the dose down. Maybe cut back to 25mg, then 20mg, etc to see if a lower dose could work for you. In addition, it's probably a good idea to start working on implementing behavior management changes in everyday life that could help you cope without the medication.
  4. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Amphetamines can do a lot of wonders. It's why they're abused so much. Were you diagnosed by a psychiatrist, though?

I have ADHD and have taken 60mg of Adderall daily for 10+ years. The only exception was when I chose to take a solid 2 year break from it - in early recovery from heroin addiction.

Coming off of Adderall is not a pleasant experience, but it's certainly not the end of the world. Whether you actually need it or not (AKA you're taking it for the reasons intended) it's still a narcotic. If you're like me - meaning you have ADHD and truly need to take it - the answer is no. You will not function the same way without it. Not even close. That is an unrealistic expectation.

It was important for me to figure out whether the pros of taking Adderall outweighed the cons.
    Joseph likes this.
  5. KC Sunshine

KC Sunshine Member

I think the other posts have put it well. In short: you don't want to make this decision lightly. You have been taking a controlled substance for several years. Your body is used to it. The question is first, whether it is something you feel you would be better or you simply would like to be without. If you are on a path to coming off the medicine, work with a doctor. You will want to step down gradually to avoid potentially severe reactions. People do grow weary of Adderall for various reasons. None of them are wrong. But freeing your body from the expectation of Adderall takes time and care. Your doctor can help.
  6. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

Depends on how much is that temporarily someone's talking about above. If you use it over very short periods of time, like maximum a week, I believe that you won't have problems at all getting of it and it shall also give you benefits.
  7. generalsgirl1

generalsgirl1 Member

I've been on this medication for 8 years to treat ADD as well as fatigue that comes along with my Multiple Sclerosis. I hate the medication but I love it at the same time. Without it I feel like I am outside of my body. I am NOT motivated to do anything whatsoever. I've stopped for two months at one point but my body still never felt normal during those two months. I know the medication is starting to affect my body in negative ways. For example, my heart rate is rarely ever below 100 whether on adderall or not and my blood pressure fluctuates from high to low, my metabolism is completely thrown off because when I do not have the medication I gain probably 20 pounds within a months time. I want to be off the medication but I am scared to death because i feel like I am nothing and can do nothing without the medication. I have 4 children who rely on me. I hate depending on a medication. I honestly feel like it is running my life which is very sad and scarey. I honestly don't know what to do. My tolerance has become so high. I have to take breaks in order for the medication to work at all but during that time that I'm not taking the medication I'm usually lying in bed it sucks does anyone know or can help.
  8. generalsgirl1

generalsgirl1 Member

I'm scared to death to come off this medication...I can't function without it but I want to stop. if I'm running out of my prescription and I don't have enough to last I will slowly wean myself down for the week. I've been able to stop for 2 months at one point but it took almost the entire 2 months for me to even have the strength and energy to leave the house.
  9. HugsNotDrugs

HugsNotDrugs Active Contributor

Many children take it then get off of it during high school and manage to adjust. I'm sure there's an initial rebound of ADHD symptoms, but usually these people are still seeing a psychiatrist and the psychiatrist can help them learn to cope with these symptoms better.

If you're worried about it, ask your doctor how long he thinks you need to be on it and how hard it will be to quit it.