An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Has anyone tried hypnosis for heroin and cocaine addiction? Did it help?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by mercurigera, Jun 19, 2015.

1. mercurigera

mercurigera Member

Looking for help for a friend that happens to have transformed into an addict. Does anyone know if hypnosis can help? Thanks.
  2. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Senior Contributor

Yes, hypnosis can help. But hypnosis is only *part* of the treatment (I interpret your question to want to limit the treatment to just hypnosis). Recovering from drug addiction requires many supportive methods to be used in unison to work.
  3. tarverten

tarverten Senior Contributor

Check into a rehab clinic. They can prescribe medication to help ease you off without the harsh side effects. Good luck.
  4. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Senior Contributor

It may help...it's worth a shot. What have you got to lose? There is no way to guarantee a cure unless your daughter is truely ready to give up the heroine. Just like with many other addictions, people want to quit and know that they need to but if their full mind and heart aren't behind it then it won't work. They either won't quit or will fall back into it. All I can say is give it a shot and never give up.
  5. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Senior Contributor

I don't think that'll work. You can only hypnotize the mind, not the body. The body will still know what it wants even if the hypnotized person won't realize it.
  6. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think it can work for some addiction, all hypnosis does is condition the mind and make it believe something that it doesn't want to. That may be able to help you overcome the mental side of taking drugs but I'm not too sure how you would deal with the actual side effects your body would go through.
  7. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I have no personal experience with hypnosis or know anyone who has done that, but according to what I have just read, hypnosis is effective in the early stages of addiction and in the recovery process, so why not give it a try? After all, you have nothing to lose. Here is the link by the way for more info: https://hypnosis.edu/articles/addiction
  8. shadowsupernature

shadowsupernature Senior Contributor

That's unlikely. If that were the case, drug clinics and AA would be out of business right now.
  9. zplohr

zplohr Member

AA is not a business. Yes hypnosis is a psychological tool that may be usefull. Drugs may still be needed to safely stop drinking though.
  10. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

The sub-conscious mind is more powerful than we can imagine. Hypnosis can help someone give up an addiction. All the hypnotist has to do is give you a good reason to hate the drugs and once they are done the power of the sub-conscious mind will make you hate the drugs. You won't know why but that hatred will exist. So while hypnosis can work, what the hypnotist tells you why you are under hypnosis is what makes the difference between success and failure.