An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Has anyone tried something like "Stop-Tober"?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by singingintherain, Oct 6, 2015.

1. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

I've never tried one of those month-long abstinence things before. Mostly because I assumed I would fail, or that I would have a huge binge at the end of the month. In my head there was always "Oh but this event is during October, so I can't!", so excuses basically. Several of my friends regularly do these though - mostly 'Stop-Tober' and 'Dry-July'. They are all heavy drinkers outside of those periods.

Has anyone here tried this before? I'm mostly thinking about alcohol, but I know people do them for other things such as cigarettes, fast food and chocolate.
    bluedressed likes this.
  2. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I've never tried the month long campaigns either to be honest although I do think they're a good idea. Even if people don't manage to stop, at the very least it raises awareness of that particular addiction and pushes it into the spotlight for a month and that can only be a good thing.
  3. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@singingintherain... Why assume you would fail? Why not challenge yourself and give it a try? You might just surprise yourself! :)
  4. LoveEcho

LoveEcho Community Champion

I've never heard heard of those before. That is a good way to bring awareness to something, I'll have to look into it. It sounds interesting.
  5. singingintherain

@deanokat You're totally correct! I tend to shy away from anything that I think I'm not absolutely certain to succeed at - in every aspect of my life.

I think it would be a good idea for me to try this. I'm thinking November could be a good time. I guess the worst-case scenario is that I fail... but at least I've tried and maybe next time will be successful. Currently I've been keeping my drinking to within the WHO recommended limits. I'm feeling confident with my progress there but there's certainly no harm in cutting it out altogether!
    BayouBilly likes this.
  6. BayouBilly

BayouBilly Member

Definitely no hard in cutting it at all!

I was successful in quitting the 6-pack a day habit, all it took was the realization that alcohol had almost no positive effect on my life. Now, I only drink on social occasions. I buy a 6-pack and it stays in my fridge for a week. I know I have it, but the want just isn't there anymore.
    singingintherain likes this.
  7. singingintherain

That's fantastic! I'm confident I'll reach that stage as I feel like I'm well on my way. Currently I'm not buying alcohol. I do often have work functions to go to though and I tend to have one drink at them as I can't figure out what to do with my hands when I don't have one! I think once I get used to the functions I'll be fine.

I think I'll actually give November a go! I'll use the rest of this month to 'work up to it' so to speak, by reducing my drinking to nearly nil so that the lifestyle change doesn't seem unattainable.

I'm actually quite excited about this!
  8. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I've never tried this [I don't need to now though since I haven't touched drugs for 4 months now] but I believe the challenge to stay sober for at least 30 days can help someone beat an addiction. I've heard that it takes about 30 days to form a new habit now if you can replace the addiction with something more productive after the month is over you wouldn't have to use drugs again.
  9. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Honestly, I am not that familiar about these campaigns, but I think they are a pretty good idea. I just hope this would somehow motivate others to consider sobriety after this month-long abstinence. Anyway, there's nothing wrong with trying. Don't think about failing, rather, think about winning. All the best!
  10. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Sober October!
    That was actually my very first clean and sober month! It stared me on the path I am on today.
    I don't know, it's kind of silly but it was something that worked for me!
  11. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

On my health psychology class we started this thing about creating healthier habits in 21 days, and there's some of us who are trying to do some exercise, leave chocolate, reducing the number of cigarettes per day and I'm trying to stop drinking soda, it's kind of frustrating but I think that I'm going to make it. I think that it's a great way to improve health!
  12. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Here we refer to it as "Oc-sober" and it does have quite a bit of momentum behind it. Even for people that wouldn't class themselves as alcoholics but perhaps binge drinkers - it's a good way to take heed of just how much you are consuming and tone it down. Even though binge drinkers may not define themselves as alcholics, it's certainly a dangerous path when you're drinking to excess on a regular basis (perhaps even to the point of being sick!) so I'm glad there are movements out there like this which do bring awareness to alcohol consumption, and making it seem more acceptable socially to tone it back.
  13. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I think it is a great idea if it can encourage somebody to stop drinking for a whole month. That is a great start. Maybe once they got a month in they would be on their way to a clearer, healthier life. Having their eyes opened and thinking with a clear mind for a month may be enough to make them realize they have a problem and need help.
  14. lilfaerie28

lilfaerie28 Active Contributor

I've never heard of that before, but I've made it through nearly half of October without drinking. Might as well finish off the month. Even though my birthday is next week, I think I can do this!
  15. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

Most times in the past few years where I have stopped drinking for that long of a time, it was due to me being forced to do so, such as when I had to go to jail for several weeks due to a DUI. However last year I did pretty much stop drinking for a little over a month in between October and November for various reasons. I was doing a lot of Christmas shopping, so I had to keep my recreational spending in check, so the first thing to go were the bottles of liquor every other day - those add up fast.

Also, I had gained some weight, and my clothes and coats weren't fitting, and the last thing I wanted to be doing was going out and investing in a whole new wardrobe on top of my Christmas shopping, and other expenses that hit me at the end of the year.

It was rough, but I tried to keep myself busy most of the time to take my mind off of it. I also took a lot of naps when I would start feeling the pangs of wanting a drink. I would throw the TV on with a few shows lined up, and hopefully fall asleep to them while they were playing in the background.
  16. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

So basically this is something alcoholics do so they don't feel so bad about the fact they drink like fish the rest of the year? It does sound like something I'd do, lol. But seriously, I doubt one dry month can make any difference for the poor overly abused liver. But if one dry month can lead to another dry month and then another one, then way to go!
  17. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

It could definitely work. I have tried to go without certain foods for long periods of time and it worked. This might not be as hard as you think if your talking a bout a diet or something. Just focus on what you set out to do you may succeed. Good Luck.
  18. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

No, doing something because we're in a certain year, month, day is stupid. Even the names sound silly. You do it for yourself, whenever you feel like it, not only during a certain period of time then reverting back to your initial state. Also, most people practice this in order to receive attention, so it's more like a trend, or a fad. The same applies to "No-shave November".
  19. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

I have done it for eating meat. I was the kind of person who thought that I needed meat in my life, even if not much. I mean, loved meat and loved cleaning off the bones and all of that. I just decided to do a month meat free just to see. I thought, hey, it will force me to be creative about food choices! (and let's face it, it was also because I was going broke anyway and wanted to narrow down my budget somewhere)

It was weird in a way because I was like, oh, but what do I do when I go to birthdays and stuff. But then I started on my month and got to try new things to cook and two things happened:

1) I was surprised at how much easier it was than I thought it would be
    2) I became more low-maintenance about meals. I used to be the kind to cook for hours to make those fancy week night meals, because I love to cook and I love food, but I became very easily satisfied with just a plate of rice and beans. It surprised me a lot too.

I carried through even when it was hard because I was like, hey, if I want to eat meat, I can do that--- but not right now, now I'm giving it my best for the month. And at the end of it, I was really impressed by what I managed to do!

I never needed to do it with anything else, since I don't smoke and I rarely drink, but that experience was really interesting and an eye opener