An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Has increased prices helped anyone quit?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Hyperion, Aug 26, 2015.

1. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

The price wasn't really a problem when I used to be a heavy smoker, I used to pretend that they were not that expensive, but when I started to quit I realized about the price, and it was definitely a big part of my motivation to stop smoking, I can use that money to something more productive than just cigarettes.
  2. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

That just means people will drive out to the Native American reservations and buy it there for much less then the normal supermarket. Trust me, if they are addicted they will find a way to buy it no matter what.
  3. brookeemily

brookeemily Active Contributor

YES! A big part of my reason to quit is the price and it definitely keeps me from buying a pack. Sometimes I really want a cigarette, but then I remember that I'll have to spend like 8 bucks so I decide to hold back on doing it. It's definitely helpful, even if it is a kind of superficial reason to stop.
  4. BrandonA

BrandonA Active Contributor

Agreed, unfortunately. I've certainly seen people decide to quit for the sake of their wallets, but for some folks, the withdrawal isn't worth any amount of savings. And life does provide plenty of shortcuts, like rez stores.

The best cold-turkey quitting mechanism I've ever seen is military boot camp. Not only are you not allowed anywhere near a cig, but you're so driven and busy and focused every moment that you don't even think of it. It's no longer needed. Amazing what a constant stream of adrenaline can do for the body and the mind.
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think the cost of smoking will affect how much a person smokes and even if it doesn't make them quit they will certainly cut down.

There will always come a point when something is too expensive and even though it might be hard to quit, if people simply can't afford cigarettes then there isn't really any other option.
  6. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I wonder why cigarettes are so expensive in other countries whereas over here the last time I bought cigarettes was last 2010 and one pack cost me less than a dollar. Anyway, I do think the prices can deter someone from smoking, because if they can't afford it, then they won't buy it.
  7. Faygo1224

Faygo1224 Active Contributor

As a smoker, the prices going up have not decreased my smoking habits. If anything it's just made me switch to a cheaper brand.

Cigarettes are so highly addictive I really doubt that price and tax increase will curtail smoking habits. Electronic cigarettes on the rise haven't even stopped people from smoking regular cigarettes. As long as there are cheaper cigarettes available that are like the ones you're used to smoking , higher prices won't ever matter.

There really needs to be a way to stop smoking once and for all. It's such a horrible habit and kills so many people. Thank God the no smoking campaign for teens have dropped the rate of teens smoking but us older folks need to do the same! We only live once!!
  8. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

The price of cigarettes is crazy now. Some places charge up to $10 a pack. I have a friend who smokes and she will literally run out of money before her next payday and be forced to quit for a day or 2. She then gets money and goes off to buy a pack. My theory is that she should take her broke days as a good time to quit smoking because she can't afford to feed the addiction anyway.
  9. Mims

Mims Active Contributor

Sadly, the increase in price hasn't felt noticeable where I live. It could be the brand I purchase (L&M and Pall Mall around $4 each), but I haven't had any problems getting smokes. Even when I have a small amount of money, there are cigars and cigarillos that you can buy as cheap as $2. My latest pack ran out today and I just went to the local dollar store and got some $2 cigars. You would think that the taste would be awful and would prevent me from buying, but they actually aren't that bad for such a low price.
  10. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

Generally when cigarettes or any other drugs increases its price, people don't quit, they just found cheaper ways to use that. For example I started to buy tobacco and make my own cigarettes, which cost about 70% less. With drugs, it's the same, people will switch for the cheapest option that gives them that high.
  11. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace Senior Contributor

My оffiсе оnly hаs а соuplе оf smоkеrs lеft. Thе tightеr rеstriсtiоns оn smоking in gеnеrаl plus thе rising соsts hаvе lеd sеvеrаl оf thеm tо quit. I wоuldn't саll it 1:1. But yоu саnnоt rаisе priсеs until thеrе is а сеrtаin аmоunt оf sосiаl аgrееmеnt thаt smоking is wrоng, sо it's аll pаrt оf аn еvоlutiоn. Imhо.
  12. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Prices can and are raised whenever the government decides to do so, there doesn't have to be any agreement in place. That'd the way it works over here in the UK anyway, and only today the price as been risen again by an extra 2% for no reason.
  13. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

I haven't taken that extra step to stop smoking yet but I have reduced the amount I smoke significantly. It most certainly has helped.
  14. Increasing cigarette prices have yet to help motivate me to quit smoking. There will always be a variable expense in my budget I can cut our or a new way of making money to help fund my nicotine addiction. I've tried calculating how much I spend on smokes and further calculating how much I can spend in a lifetime and despite the astonishing numbers, I am more than willing to keep going out and dropping an easy $10 on one pack alone.

Whether it be rising prices or continued pressure from health officials, I know I won't quit until I whole heartedly believe I don't need cigarettes. Common sense tells me I don't need them and I'm better off without them. My non-smoking friends seem to be much happier; they don't constantly worry if they are allowed to smoke or if they are running low. They don't know the utter terror you feel when you realize you let yourself run completely out and there isn't a store in sight. It's pretty obvious I would be way better off, just like my non-smoking friends.

Yet something deep inside me feels like I just won't enjoy life as much without my precious friend. Nicotine is always there for me when I'm stressed or having a rough day. How would I cope without it? So until I whole heartedly believe that life is much greener on the other side, the cigarette free side, I will keep forking out the big bucks to fund my addiction.
  15. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

I completely agree with this. A pack of cigarettes is well over $10 where I live and those that smoke continue to smoke. It doesn't seem to matter at all to them that they are spending a small fortune on cigarettes every year. I remember when cigarettes were $7 dollars a pack when I was a kid and that was a lot of money to begin with. Now it's several more dollars a pack and I still see a lot of cigarette smokers.
  16. Jose

Jose Active Contributor

Its definitely one of the bigest reasons why I'm quitting, here in my country it's gotten so expensive its just ridiculous. Made me think it through and decided this was just too much, I was going into a lot of trouble with my family because of the smoking. I Never really thought that price increasing strategy would work at all but its forcing me to quit or male other monetary sacrifices. Would be nice if they make it 100$ a pack, so i dont get tortured with the smell every corner.
  17. nick92

nick92 Member

Yes, in my opinion, price can be a decisive factor. I know people who struggled with finances and they cut down the number of cigarettes. However, I don't think this applies to everyone, especially heavy smokers.
  18. Theboysmom04

Theboysmom04 Member

Price has not helped me quit. If anything it has fueled my addiction more. It now makes me more anxious wondering how I'm going to afford cigarettes when I'm out. I have cut back despite my anxiety because I've been forced to do so. I also have an ecig for when I can't afford a pack of cigarettes.
  19. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

I don't think it is entirely effective in getting people to stop smoking all together. Let's not forget that some smokers may simply opt to start rolling and packing their own cigarettes to skirt the whole rising sales tax issue all together. You can buy a box of cigarette tubes, a decent cigarette stuffing machine, and a bag of tobacco for not very much, and make your own smokes. I was doing the math on this with a friend of mine recently, and you could get your costs down to near a $1 - $1.50 or so per pack by rolling your own. Even cheaper if you skip the tubes and filters and rolling machines, and simply buy the tobacco and papers and roll your own.
  20. rajesh

rajesh Senior Contributor

If you are a cigar addict, I don't think a high or low price would matter for you. Their mind is brainwashed by the pleasure of cigars and money would not matter for him. If you are not an addict, you can hate buying cigars just because of the price. I have seen many people decreasing the number of packets just because of the increase of price.