An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Has society pushed us this far?

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by syrkt, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

That's how a lot of doctors unfortunately still diagnose too, Roman. Still for today's individual testing, they don't have any really true way to know how the drug will effect anyone individually until they try it, and even then it could be a misdiagnosis. But I know people who function normally on this drug, like it's something they needed to be who they are, and others who abuse it because they LIKE who they are.. two different things entirely.
  2. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

The main problem here for me is still economic, pharmaceutical companies want to make a big profit, so they sell drugs that solve something right now, but at the same time what are the long term effects, do they know?
  3. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

No, they don't. Chances are all these new and pumped out medicines didn't have more than a year or two in test regulations and trials before releasing it. True pharmaceutical companies would host their trials for decades at a time before releasing their medication, but that would be in an "ideal" world. And we don't. We live in the "world of today".
  4. HugsNotDrugs

HugsNotDrugs Active Contributor

I think you have a poor understanding of what ADHD and ADD are. They are psychological conditions that physically change the way a person's brain is supposed to work. People with ADD/ADHD do not get dopamine "rewards" from their brain for completing tasks the way normal people do. Amphetamines raise the dopamine levels in the brain so that the person can experience the satisfaction from accomplishing something that other people do.

In fact, medications like adderall can help people learn new skills like time management and organization who would never otherwise learn certain skills because they don't feel "rewarding" to learn.

Having ADHD/ADD is like being constantly frustrated. You feel like no matter how hard you try, everything still sucks so badly, and like everyone else is inherently better than you. So you just quit a lot of times, or don't even try in the first place. Adderall lifts the cloud of frustration off of the sufferer's brains and allows them to focus on one particular task instead of focusing on the impending doom that will no doubt come after they fail.
  5. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

The real culprits are the sportswomen/men who use every available method just to emerge victorious.This is setting a very bad precedent to other upcoming and budding sportsmen who will most likely follow in the footstep of their predecessors with an aim of winning races or breaking records all for monetary gain.
  6. Charli

Charli Community Champion

From what I understand they usually do just rush it out to get as much exposure and profit as early as possible since it takes so long for them to get approved. I doubt they really know much about long term effects, to be honest. They just do whatever testing is necessary to get passed and forget about it once it does probably.
  7. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Is it really society's fault? Although I don't support the use of synthetic drugs to cure addiction or any chronic ailment for that matter, they're all that is there for now. We can rely on natural medicine too but even this type of medicine has its limits. However, to use drugs for the sake of competition... for me, anyone who resorts to such an underhanded method is simply a coward with loose moral.s At the end of the day, unless you no longer have control over your sanity, as far as the use of drugs is concerned, you still have a choice. I won't blame the drugs. I'd rather blame human beings for being so weak that they can't even outsmart their nature and use something artificial instead.
  8. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

To many families and areas, school is the only option. The pressure is put down on them to the point where if they are not the best, they are nothing. People turn to Adderall and Ritalin to try to deal with the constant unrealistic expectations. So yes, it is society and certain families' faults.
  9. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Life is much harder these days, particularly with the economic downturn. Some people have to work 2 or 3 jobs, students are worried that they won't get a job after college and others feel like they have to work harder to stand any chance of keeping the 1 job they do have. So, yes, I do feel as though the addiction culture we see nowadays is a product of modern society - we are all under pressure to do so much more.
  10. Gelsemium

Yep, it's a closed circuit and money is fueling it, not our health, so the health system isn't exactly a clear thing, that is why I stay away from drugs as much as I can.
  11. 4rainydays

4rainydays Member

One of my good friends got addicted to adderall and other substances that way. It's really saddening how society has such an effect on people's lives. They used to be very happy until they graduated and found out that the job market is greatly over-exaggerated. The problem is even worse, by the fact that he has trouble even landing normal fast food style jobs due to his high education. The companies are probably worried that you consider this a temporary job and will leave at any moment. There's no incentive for them to hire someone that they will train and then the person leaves within a week or two possibly. I understand how it is, however, it doesn't make it any less depressing.
  12. drc52

drc52 Active Contributor

I've never taken adrenal but generally I don't think it's that bad (unless abused of course). However I do not think it should be given to children, school work is not important enough to damage you brain with a performance enhancing drug.
  13. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Same here, at least ones that I feel like are just being pushed so they can convince me that I need to be taking a few a day for the rest of my life. I do realize that some of these are probably helpful and merely get lost within the other ones made out of greed, but for the most part I'd much rather just keep myself healthy naturally.
  14. Gelsemium

It's very rare for me to go to the doctor, I already have years of experience so now I just take supplements and I feel as healthy as I can be, far better than with conventional drugs.
  15. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I've taken Adderall in the past purely as a substitute for meth back in my more reckless years. My younger brother, however, has ADHD and it does work for him. I know people are quick to hop on the "ADD/ADHD isn't real" bandwagon, but it's made all the difference in his life. In his first five years of schooling his impulsiveness and hyper activity alienated himself from the rest of his classmates, leaving him rather depressed (which would effect his overall level of motivation in school). Now that he takes Adderall, he's gone from lonely, sad and in detention to happy, lots of friends and good grades.

I'm sure when he's old enough to understand, he'll be given the choice to continue taking them, but at this point I think the meds are much needed. It's easy for people to dismiss ADD/ADHD without having first hand experience or only being exposed to those who aren't properly diagnosed, but I've seen the pros and cons of the drug. It can work wonders if you truly need it.
  16. Gelsemium

I don't think it's a fact of being real or not, it's the fact that before the diagnose is made the doctors make people jump to it like it's something natural. It's not.
  17. awesomeaniruddh

awesomeaniruddh Active Contributor

I certainly don't think so. There might be certain individuals like CEOs and other top ranking executives of the Fortune 500 companies, but the general public, that is us definitely don't need drugs. It all depends on our perception.
  18. Gelsemium

Come on awesome, do you really think the way we live is the correct one? Work is the center of everything as we work way too many hours, it's absurd.
  19. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

Do you say that from experience though? Which mental illnesses have you overcome without drugs? Science shows that some people are living with too much or too little dopamine/serotonin. Let's take serotonin for example. It's the chemical responsible for making us happy. It's so easy to say that you can overcome depression without drugs, but without an ample amount of serotonin it's impossible. Some people are unable to function without drugs; depressives, schizophrenics, you name it.
  20. awesomeaniruddh

awesomeaniruddh Active Contributor

Mental illness is another thing. I am talking about general stress we undergo in our lives. If you're working too many hours than you're probably working at the wrong company and should try to find a job elsewhere where the environment is less stressful. There are some jobs that require a lot of work, and perhaps people doing these jobs might require drugs, but I am talking about the regular layman, who certainly doesn't need drugs to function properly.