An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Has society pushed us this far?

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by syrkt, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Waynefire

Waynefire Member

I am thinking the pressure on kids and everyone in general is immense these days. Failure used to be okay before as long as you tried. However, now everyone including parents have the mentality of failure is not an option, which has hurt quite a few people.
  2. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

Yes I agree with you on this matter. The expectation that is placed on people often times leads to depression when not met. This most times manifests into drug use and addiction. It is okay to fail at something and people must strive not to be successful but rather be of value.
  3. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

The issue is that when we work too much we can get a depression or a breakdown and that is already considering a mental illness, both things are closely connected.
  4. awesomeaniruddh

awesomeaniruddh Active Contributor

Again, like I said, those cases are exceptions. I am talking about the man who works 9-5. He isn't prone to that much stress, unless there are other factors involved such as financial problems or a divorce. But all of this can be sorted out with the help of a counsellor. There really is no need to get into drugs.
  5. Gelsemium

Yep, I can agree with that, but even a 9 to 5 job can he exhausting, I mean, I don't think we need to work that much, this society is built upside down.
  6. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

Agreed. Many kids feel like they have to resort to Adderall to study harder.
  7. amyyoh

amyyoh Member

On my university campus Adderall abuse is rampant. It makes me think that school stress has pushed people to the point where students feel they need enhancers. Then again, hard work is possible without the drug. It may be people's laziness but strong desire to get ahead. Someone I know went to the doctor to try to get Adderall and was unsuccessful so I think it is becoming harder to get the drug.
  8. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

I agree to large extent, but we also have to be careful not to blame society for our own choices. We are responsible for what and how much we choose to take.

Still, I have a big problem with all the drug ads. I said so when they first started appearing. Some of them didn't even mention what they were for, just "ask your doctor for X." It's not hard to see why so many people are over-medicated or addicted.

Designer drugs... what's next?
  9. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

Synthetic implants. And it gets scarier from there. Stim packs to juice up on. It could be going down a bad pathway. I agree with what you said other than our own choices, because when society thrusts it at you like that and makes it seem "all okay" then you're really going to make a biased decision rather you notice it or not. In this case society IS and should still be held accountable. Now, for how much we take that is our own personal issues from there.
  10. Gelsemium

Ouch, yeah, but I don't even want to go that far. We are not respecting nature and that is scary, we should really go back to the natural way.
  11. Shimus

Unfortunately science has progressed too much to revert backwards but we can still practice ways and keep them alive for the better part. Science would disagree and that things like what I just mentioned are going to be natural outcomes anyways down the road. But if we can respect both properly I don't see a reason we can't evolve as a whole.
  12. JohnBrock

JohnBrock Active Contributor

I honestly don't exactly think that the mentality has changed, I don't think failure was ever very accepted, it's way harder to get a college degree now though, and there's a certain degree of "educational inflation", that is to say, that whereas a degree somewhat used to guarantee a job after graduation, nowadays you might have to be top of the class, et cetera, in order to get the same kind of occupational possibilities...
  13. Shimus

Not only that John, but most people these days want a college degree for even the most insane of reasons (not even pertaining to jobs). It's way harder to do because of the economy as well forcing lendings and loans down lower than it has been in years, and banks are starting to get hesitant to lend (Even to me, with no credit, a bad credit person could loans and I can't.)

Just doesn't seem right. You have to be the creme de la creme to get a job better than McDonalds or know some people. Just know the right people.
  14. westmixxin

westmixxin Active Contributor

It's an easy way to really cut the tension down because sometimes we get so caught up in life and education that is difficult for us to focus and I think it just creates some level of clarity but over abusing it can cause problems over time.
  15. Gelsemium

There are way too many stressful factors. Take kids for one, they are great, but just spend one whole day at home with them, it's really tiring and stressing.
  16. shmangie

shmangie Member

I remember wanting to get all of my school work done in time so I decided to try Adderall, my boyfriend at the time was taking them for his ADHD so I decided to give it a shot. I remember staying up all night and staring at a screen so focused on the work I didn't notice the hours go by, but one thing I shouldn't have done was take two pills at once. Because of my weight and size and I hadn't eaten anything that day (if that mattered) I ended up feeling sick and throwing up after some time. I never again wanted to try that. But I know so many people who took it just to get things done. I can't believe it either.
  17. bombshell

bombshell Member

First I would like to say that the education our kids get is much more advanced than it was when I was a kid. They are learning a whole new curriculum with much higher expectations. When I was in college I would feel intense pressure to perform because now a days excelling in advanced studies is just a way to get a foot in the door with many employers with competitive salaries. I took Adderall occasionally to prepare for exams and finals. It's not something I condone or advocate, but it is something I did.
  18. Gelsemium

That is a good point bombshell, there is a whole lot more pressure on kids these days, but the logical result has to be to remove pressure, not increase it and add drugs to "help" them cope with that.
  19. rightct

rightct Community Champion

It's not something that we deliberately do, it's a vicious circle we often enter involuntarily which we ultimately can't leave, even if we seek to, because people will always lure you with free drugs to make you stay and ruin yourself and everyone around you.
    It's actually kind of interesting, because we can't really accuse someone for ruining our society's principles, as this drug world started out of curiosity for everyone, and we can't really blame someone for it; the need of knowing is a basic one, which needs to be fulfilled, undoubtedly. Think about it thoroughly.
    I haven't personally tried Adderall, but I won't lie about the fact that I did want to try it once but changed my mind in the last minute. I think I did a good thing, it saved me from a lot of trouble.
  20. Gelsemium

There is a thin line between trying it and not and it's not just because we consume it once, it's because our head will start thinking it's OK when it's not.