An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Has someone's help touched you?

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Janie, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Janie

Janie Active Contributor

A while ago I going through a really tough time and lost contact with a few friends. I finally spoke with one of them and I shared all that had recently happened in my life, and the problems I was still facing. After that, every few days she texted, emailed, or called, just to check in. It meant so much to me that she took it upon herself to make sure I was doing ok.

Have you had any friends or family whose help has touched you?
  2. Tournique

Tournique Senior Contributor

I had a friend that helped through some dark times. While I wasn't expecting it, he really shaped me in what I am today. I wasn't even thinking he would be helping me when I said hello.
  3. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

Absolutely. I've had some really random people in my life wind up being some of the most supportive and inspirational individuals. I never expected most of these people to be so helpful or supportive, but that's just how things turn out sometimes when you least expect it.
  4. joshua minaya

joshua minaya Active Contributor

What you have done is certainly the best thing to do whenever one is in a recovery face it is important that you share your difficulties with friends and family because their care and concern go a long way in encouraging one to achieve the desired well being.
  5. muthoni

muthoni Active Contributor

Actually I got help from a stranger and I still share about it. Four years back I moved to a new area. My bed did not have bolts because the moving people had cut them. I went to a hardware store to buy some. I told the lady who was behind the counter that I was not sure if I would be able to fix the bed. She told me to go get her if I was not able to. I could not believe my eyes when I went back because she closed her shop and come to my apartment with a friend of hers who was visiting. They were able to fix my bed under an hour. She did not charge me.
  6. Janie

Janie Active Contributor

It is always beautiful when you run across people like this. I always feel in awe of them and wonder how they so graciously offer themselves without a moment's thought.

It's something to aspire to, especially when you think about ways you can start giving back.
  7. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

muthoni, that story has made me cry a little bit! That was such a kind thing to do. Perhaps the kindest person I know is one of my online friends who lives 8000 miles away from me. This person is always around for me, despite there being a 9 hour time difference between our countries. We haven't even met each other in RL yet.
  8. bluzkluz09

bluzkluz09 Active Contributor

I am very happy to hear these stories of kindness. I always try to help others and be a shoulder to lean on. It's sometimes hard to find a shoulder when it's my turn. I had a friend I hadn't spoken to since elementary school. I got a call from her one day saying she was looking for me. It had been at least 10 years since we spoke. At first I thought this couldn't be good. I'm not listed in the phonebook. She told me she tried Googling me. I don't have a Facebook or other social media account. She said one day she decided to pay on one of those online sites to get my number. I said to myself, ok since she paid a fee to get in touch with me I'll at least have a conversation with her. It's been five years now and I can call her, email, or text her whenever I need someone to talk to. I'm really glad I gave her a chance.
  9. Tournique

Tournique Senior Contributor

Indeed, people can react very nicely when someone helps you. Even if it's harder to reach out for help at start, it will surely do you good.
  10. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Senior Contributor

The love and support that my family and friends give me really touches my heart. I'm the type of person who doesn't like to get too sappy, but I always end up telling those close to me how much I love them.
  11. musicmonster

musicmonster Senior Contributor

I can relate to this. One day when I was in the verge of melting down, a special friend did make me realize I am loved and I was immediately comforted.
  12. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yes, I do. I have some close friends that are really great people. We don't talk all the time but we do from time to time. They all have certain traits in common. This is the interesting part. They have this bright cheery light around them. Smart and funny. Very honest and considerate. Their smiles and eyes are so vibrant. Positive, they are all so positive. Just genuinely good people. Ones worth keeping as good friends.
  13. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Yes I have had my share of helpful family and friends, and I am fortunate to have some people that I can go to when I need to vent or someone to talk to. They act as my "counselors".
  14. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I would definitely have to say it's my husband . Despite him not being around during the years of my addiction, meeting him off to woods has been a blessing in my life. He encourages me and believes in me even when I perhaps don't believe in myself. Having someone believe in me so much gives me strength and courage to keep strong.