An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Has there been a death due to addiction in your life?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by JoanMcWench, May 17, 2015.

1. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

Has a friend, family member, or acquaintance in your life passed because of their addiction? What were the circumstances? Did it seem they knew they were headed for an early grave & still did not try to quit?

I have far too many of these stories but it's half because of family & half because of my occupation. It's usually the case that they were all aware it would be a factor in their death & that did not manage to sway them.
  2. pineywood

pineywood Community Champion

Yes. Some easier to talk about then others. I think some, I will never talk about, but I will share one. It was a close high school friend of my husband and mine that had been a drinker for years. He died of alcohol poisoning, and it was one of the saddest funerals that we ever had to go back to our hometown to attend.

He may have been conscious that his drinking was affecting his health, but I do not believe he thought he would die, after-all his mother was an alcoholic, too and she was still living. Matter of fact a few years later, we were back in town. My husband and I do not really frequent bars, nowadays, I do not even drink socially. Anyways, we went down to the neighborhood bar and there was his mother.
  3. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Yes, I've known a few people who died as a result of their addiction(s). However, it wasn't always the substances that killed them. One person I knew who was addicted to crack cocaine ended up resorting to going around robbing the drug dealers he had originally been buying it from. The police ended up pulling his body out of the river. It wasn't suicide. Another person I knew who was an alcoholic nearly killed himself once by falling asleep drunk while laying on his bed waiting for food to cook, setting fire to his apartment. Luckily, we got there in time. However, not too later he was drunk and slipped and fell down two flights of steps and that was it, it was all over. He was 27.
  4. Danyell

Danyell Community Champion

@JoanMcWench, I have had alot of my friends die due to heroin. I am a IV heroin addict. I understand both sides of the situation. I know with heroin addicts, the first thing that changes in the brain is reasoning and decision making for us. I have OD'ed a couple of times and I am still active in my addiction. I know that it could potentially kill me, but the addiction is so strong that to me, it out weighs everything else. For me, since I have been using for a while, I don't know how to live without it. Or how to deal and cope with my emotions (the good and the bad) without it. It becomes our new normal and the only normal life we know. The possibility of death just comes with being in the game. It is very sad. I truely want to, want to quit. If that makes sense. I want that feeling where I am done and want to stop. It is the hardest battle that I have had in my life by far.
  5. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

My uncle was an addict. He passed away last December. We tried to talk him out of it. But he kind of seemed to have accepted his fate. Nothing we could do.
  6. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I had an uncle who was an alcoholic. He'd been hospitalized more than once and I'm sure the doctors advised him to stop drinking. But he wouldn't listen. His health began to get progressively worse. He quit his job and was in and out of hospitals for a while. Conventional medicine couldn't help so he tried alternative medicine. That didn't work either.

Visited him when he was on his way out one day, tried to comfort him, saying he'd get better but he wasn't convinced. He had no doubt death was knocking at the door. He died a few months later.
  7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Yeah, sort of. My cousin was an alcoholic before which worsened his illness. He was already diagnosed with hypokalemia, but this didn't stop him to continue his addiction. He eventually died in the end.
  8. tckc

tckc Member

These stories are hard to hear. They make me worry even more about friends I have who are still using.

It wasn't until I a year into my recovery that I actually lost anyone close to me. Two former "roommates" (if you can call it that really), died within a few months of each other. The first friend died in a car accident while driving under the influence and the second friend shot himself.

Part of me kind of feels like I left them to die when I got cleaned up, but I know that they had the same opportunities I did and yet they chose not to take them.
  9. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Upto now, I've only lost one friend due to an addiction, and to be honest I'm surprised it's not more.

The guy was a friend I'd had from school, and I'd known him 20yrs, so it did come as a bit of a shock, even though people knew he wasn't in the best of health.
  10. gracer

gracer Community Champion

Yes, I have several relatives and friends with with different addiction stories but with the same ending, that is death. I've posted them in previous threads before and one of the latest death due to addiction that I know of is the death of my friend's dad because of alcoholism. He suffered with liver cancer and was brought in and out of the hospital for more than a month until he finally succumbed to his illness. He was just buried a week ago so I can still feel my friend's pain every time she talks about her father.
  11. AleFirmani

AleFirmani Member

I lost one of my truly best friends in the whole world just this past March. I have alot of guilt surrounding the situation because I got clean about two years ago and I had not seem him in that time. I moved away to get clean and we staid in touch on the phone and internet which is more than I can say for a lot of the friends I left behind. He was special. He had so much love to give but he was an addict just like me but he just never reached his bottom until of course he died. I wish I could have helped. He left behind nine year old son to whom I am also very close with and now his divorced wife has custody and I do not get to speak with the little boy any longer. I have no children. Sometimes I wish it was he who was able to get clean and I had been left behind. He had so much more to live for.
    He took me in when I did not have anywhere to live. He helped me whenever he could and never wanted anything in return save for my friendship. I wish I was strong enough to have pulled both of us out of all that mess but I wasn't and now he is gone. I still go to call or send him a message sometime because he was the first person I would go to when I had anything wonderful happen or anything horrible happen. He was there through thick and thin and I just left. I am starting to cry now so I think I am going to stop. Sorry for being a downer but I just feel like a failed him you know... I am not a religious person so please don't tell me he is in a better place or that we will see each other again. I do not believe in all that and it will not help me. I sent his son a star wars gift basket about a month ago and I don't even know if he got it... his mother never liked me very much. I miss him so much. God damn this curse of a life sometimes man. I hate being an addict.... even if I am clean I will always be an addict and that is such a horrible life sentence.
  12. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Yes, sadly. Both my grandparents died of cancer. After the doctor results came in we saw that smoking caused their cancer.
    They smoked for 40 years, which was a long time. They died in their 70's though, so you can say that they were a little bit "lucky" with this illness.
  13. AleFirmani

AleFirmani Member

No offense, but I would not consider this a loss due to addiction... I think what the original poster is asking if you know anybody who has lost their battle with addiction. Dying of cancer at an old age isn't really what we are talking about here. Once again I mean no offense and I am sure you miss your grandparents but they didn't die a miserable young death because of the disease of addiction. In so many words yes you can say so but I would be quite happy to live my life to the ripe old age of 75 with my loved ones... just saying.
  14. Shrektinator

Shrektinator Member

I haven't had a family death yet because of an addiction, but there is someone in my family with an addiction. I am scared and worried for him, and telling him to stop doesn't do anything, because he is addicted and wouldn't stop because I said so. I hope he can get over his addiction soon.
  15. EditorsRHumansToo!

EditorsRHumansToo! Community Champion

Yes. A friend in college has recently left his lovely family to an early grave. He was brilliant young man way into his married life. Until he succumbed to alcohol and cracks while working as a functioning, successful journalist and editor. He had been sick before his death.

A young friend started using at 15. At 16 She left home. At 23, this young person has debilitating illness of the nerves, bones and muscles. Been diagnosed with MS. Sad.

I just wish that all governing governments should track down those producers of drugs and pharmaceuticals and drug pushers-- and put them all to jail with death sentence! Sigh... Grrr!
  16. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I have had a few relatives die from smoking too many cigarettes and it's why my family has always been vigilant in warning me not to follow on their footsteps, because according to them the suffering that those people went through was awful and they wouldn't wish it on anyone. I now smoke cigarettes unfortunately but knowing this, I know I will have to quit someday and I have already been able to successfully cut down significantly at present.