An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Have you ever been in a drunken brawl?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Bonzer, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

If you belong to any of the commonwealth group of countries like England, Australia, New Zealand, India and so on. you'll know about cricket, a game. I know, not many people in US like it. Australia's opening batsman Dave Warner, once binged in an English pub and punched Joe Root in the face, a middle order batsman of England. The incident happened when Australia toured England for a 5-match test series played for the Ashes trophy. Warner was later fined and severely reprimanded for his behavior.

Well, does alcohol make you such a bad boy? Do you lose control under its influence and behave badly? What have been your experiences?
  2. Nick Anthony

Nick Anthony Active Contributor

Alcohol doesn't make me want to fight anyone. If anything I always try to talk to many different women while I'm drunk. I failed miserably, but it never made me feel more aggressive. I felt completely socially free. I didn't care about what anyone else had to say about my actions, which is something I struggle with daily. At any rate, I feel a lot more relaxed and loose as opposed to feeling aggressive.
  3. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I'm ashamed to admit that I have. I went our drinking one night after recently changing anti-depressant medication and let's just say, I found out why you are advised to avoid alcohol on these pills that night.

I was provoked but usually, I would have just walked away. Not this time. I went absolutely ballistic and had to be pulled off this woman. Thankfully, no charges were pressed but I learned a valuable lesson that night - be careful with alcohol and pills. These days, I'll enjoy 2 cold beers around twice a month.
  4. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I know a lot of people who tend to be really violent and arrogant whenever they are drunk. But it never happened to me, I have always been behaved, drunk or not. :p
  5. XiaoDre

XiaoDre Active Contributor

Alcohol will bring out the worst in you if you let it. I have problems with anger and I would act crazy when I am intoxicated. I have gotten into many arguments and also fist fights when I was drunk. I just tend to let my emotions get the best of me when drinking, even though I have problems controlling them when sober as well. I like to drink and the purpose for that is to have fun and not act crazy. That is why I have been working on controlling my emotions so that when I drink, I will not lose my temper.
  6. Mara

Mara Community Champion

As much as I hate to admit it, YES. But I wasn't the one who started it. It was a friend of mine...rather someone who pissed-off a friend of mine. Things really tend to go crazy when people are drunk and rowdy. Discussions turn to heated arguments and before you know it, all hell will break loose.
  7. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

i've never been in a drunken brawl personally but I have been out with a group of friends where it's got a bit out of hand and punches have been thrown for no reason other than drink.

Alcohol can change people and not usually for the better and a once calm, wouldnt say boo to a goose kind of guy can change all of a sudden due to alcohol. Here in the UK, Friday and Saturday night is always the busiest in the towns and cities for the police and ambulance services, all due to the effect's of alcohol.
  8. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Alcohol is a violent substance. It makes you do wild and crazy things. When I use to drink my problems would pop up in my head and I got all aggravated at everything around me. On 2 different occasions I had gotten into a fist fight because we were all drinking. I spent time in jail for it, and was ordered to take alcohol anonymous classes as well anger management classes.

It was the worst time of my life. That's why I had to stop drinking. It does nothing but get you into trouble. Sooner or later it will.
  9. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

I've seen bad things happen to good people when alcohol is involved. Good god fearing people on alcohol can turn on you quick if they had enough to drink. Brawls happen all the time and it's usually over stupid reasons. It's usually alcohol induced rage.
  10. henry

henry Community Champion

Oh, yes, I have. I'm not a violent person and I've never picked a fight, but if you're in some bar or some party, there's bound to be some other types of drunks that won't behave the way you do. Wherever there's a lot of people drinking, there's usually trouble. And if you're around, you're bound to get picked on sooner or later. The bad part of it is waking up all bruised up. Boy, does that hurt.
  11. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Only if I drink more than 5 pints at once do I start getting aggressive over other people, else I'm quite ok under the influence of alcohol; making jokes, laughing over anything... you get the point.
    I want to get rid of this side effect of alcohol consumption, but I don't that's ever going to be possible... I've already tried it multiple times, and didn't quite work, not even with help.
  12. Jericho Mercado

Jericho Mercado Active Contributor

I have had an alcohol related brawl or two. I am what they call a happy drunk when I used to drink but alcohol does impair your judgement and these times where no exception. Contributing reasons as to why I don't touch alcohol anymore.
  13. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

When I was younger I had been in a few drunken fights. Now a days I don't drink much and I definitely don't get in fights anymore. Thankfully those days are well behind me.
  14. hc201bp2b

hc201bp2b Member

I agree with @JoshPosh--Alcohol is an extremely volatile and dangerous substance if used in a reckless manner. Some time ago when I was a freshman in college was the only time I ever recall coming close to a drunken brawl. There was huge party on campus, alcohol was involved and people were dancing. I was the unlucky freshman who ended up dancing with the hotshot senior's girlfriend.

I remember and still can picture in my head him coming up to me and grabbing me by the throat. Lucky for me, I had a few friends who immediately rushed in to my defense to calm the guy down. It's always good to have friends to bring you back to life when you think that you're for sure dead meat!
  15. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

When I worked in a bar some years ago, I had to get several drunken brawls under control by myself. I simply turned the music off, turned all the lights on and screamed into the DJ's microphone that the police will be arriving in 5 minutes. That had an instantly sobering effect on the crowd. Most people left quickly, not wanting to have anything to do with the police...
  16. Thejamal

Thejamal Active Contributor

I've never been in a druken brawl, but I think that's more about my personality because I get more laid back than I already am when I'm drink, just a bit more talkative and open. A couple of my friends get pretty crazy when they're drunk, but I don't really hang around people who want to go around punching people when they drink. I think the closest I've been to in a bar fight is when I was playing a gig at a bar and a guy came up and wanted us to shut up, or "he'd make us." We kind of just laughed it off and the guy got thrown out.
  17. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

WOW, that's incredible. Getting into jail over a drunken brawl is serious. Glad, you quit it completely. Actually, drinking causes tunnel vision and makes you lose focus. No wonder, it brings the beast out of you.
  18. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

I would say in the past few years I've gotten a lot more argumentative, and on the verge of violent behavior with others who were fighting with me verbally. But historically I was always more of a "happy" drunk, or if anything, if someone was really pissing me off, I just wouldn't have the energy to engage in a fight with them and would just walk away from it - no matter how much they would try to taunt me into one.

In most cases, I was at least conscious that my coordination and motor skills were seriously compromised that I didn't want to make an even bigger fool out of myself by trying to throw any punches and draw more attention to that.

This reminded me of one evening though, where a former acquaintance of mine and I were out at a bar. He left our table and came back a while later with his head bleeding saying this couple a few tables over hit him over the head with a beer bottle. It turned out, he was the one harassing them and in the process passed out drunk and hit his head on a nearby table when falling. I didn't find this out until I went over to that table and started yelling at them for (supposedly) hitting him, and they explained to me what had actually happened, and I knew they were telling the truth. I ended up buying them some drinks as an apology.
  19. gracer

gracer Community Champion

I have never been in that kind of situation but I had a friend who almost got into a fight in front of me. Good thing our other friends were able to manage the situation well so we all went home unscathed. :)