An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Have you ever done bad things while under the influence of alcohol?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by mwin43587, May 27, 2015.

1. mwin43587

mwin43587 Active Contributor

Hello guys, I am a student and honestly I don't drink, I have not even tried a single glass. I am encouraging everyone to be brave to share their stories, this way you can inspire people to stop, or avoid alcohol while they haven't tried yet. Every one is welcome to share experiences and stories.
  2. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

Depends on what you mean by bad things. I never committed a crime or anything like that, but in my later days of binge drinking, it seemed like bad things would happen in and around my group of friends when we drank heavily. We’d all make messes of ourselves one way or another, to the point where no one could even pinpoint who was the biggest mess anymore. It could have been worse, but it doesn’t mean what we were doing was good, not by any means.
  3. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I don't think I have ever done real bad things while under the influence of alcohol. I may look drunk but I still know what is right from wrong. I get a little bit crazy sometimes though, but nothing harmful or dangerous.
  4. d4rk3n

d4rk3n Active Contributor

This didn't really happen with me. But it happened with a friend. He was really high, and didn't know what was going on. It was late night and some policemen stopped us. FYI, we are not from an English speaking country. So the policeman asked us if we were drunk. We were, but I said no. Suddenly my friend started abusing the policeman like a madman. Fortunately, the policeman didn't know English, and he asked me "What did he say?". I told him that he asked " How are you?". It was funny to be honest. The policeman did know we were drunk, but he let us go later.
  5. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Contributor

No, fortunately I've never done anything regrettable while under the influence of alcohol. I'm a very casual drinker and can hold my own pretty well. I don't over do it when I do drink. I've seen a lot of people make fools of themselves under the influence of alcohol and really do some embarrassing things. I'm glad I'm not one of those people.
  6. gracer

gracer Community Champion

I've never done anything bad towards anything or anyone including myself while under the influence of alcohol. Well, the alcohol is the bad thing that I did to myself but other than that there's nothing else. I know some people who really pushed it to the limits when they were drunk that's why the advice here is to never try it at all if you've never tried it before. Alcohol can make you do unconsiderable things if you don't know how to control yourself.
  7. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I don't think I've done really bad things from what I can remember. I know that I've spent a lot of money that I shouldn't have just because I couldn't control myself but I think that's all about it.
    I'm happy something worse didn't happen.
  8. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Drinking on the job was a big problem for me. Lucky I worked alone at the time and didn't really get caught, but the fact I was responsible for things and drunk was just terrible. I look back on that time and wonder WTF was I thinking! Something could have gone horribly wrong but by the grace of God and alittloe luck I got through those dark times unscathed. I figure if I didn't get clean when I did it was only a matter of time before something bad did happen. If you are reading this and have gotten this far in life being drunk/high and nothing bad has happend then count your blessings and stop while you can. The odd will turn.
    My friend got really drunk and high on RX drugs on an airplane once and was hitting on this girl near him. Girl turns out to work with his wife! One airplane ride completely destroyed this mans life.
  9. superbobby

superbobby Active Contributor

Let's not wait for bad things to happen before we start regretting. We should learn from other people's mistakes and not wait to make one ourselves.
  10. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Well, I have done some really embarrassing things in the past... but bad? Nah, not really. Super embarrassing yes, but not bad bad. If by bad you mean sleeping with a total stranger, nope, but if by bad you mean making a fool of myself while being all blacked out, yes. NEVER again, not only because of the stupid things I say and do when I drink, but also because after last time I drank I felt horrible... NEVER EVER AGAIN.
  11. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think most people at one time in their life will have done sonething that they will regret when under the influence of alcohol.

That's what alcohol does, it obscures people perceptions on things and will make you do things that are totally out of character.
  12. Clairelouise84

Clairelouise84 Senior Contributor

I have never really done anything "bad" but I have done some things that are pretty horrendously stupid. I know that alcohol impairs your judgement but I think even that does not cover for the dumb things that I used to do. I not only cringe when I look back but I shudder, retch and want to cry!
  13. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

Never did something bad, not that I know of. I made myself sick once or twice, but I never hurt someone (or myself, I guess, since even hungover, I could score 94% on a final exam!) I did realize one season that, when I lived in Italy and fought with my SO, I'd get a drink of sweet sparkling to settle myself down and just get to think about something else. Or feel vindicated, whatever. When I realized it could become a negative pattern, I stopped doing that and just had some of that sweeet Asti when going to the beach and stuff.

Alcohol does not turn people into monsters. It could be that repressed impulses come out, but I think someone was said that you could probably trust someone who gets drunk etc once in a while than someone who strictly never does because you never know what's under the skin of that always sober person that they might be scared to lose control of or let out. ;)

I'm not advising alcohol drinking, just shedding some perspective!
  14. LilAnn

LilAnn Community Champion

Oh yeah! But nothing I'm going to admit to. I think most drinkers (if not all) have done something bad when drunk.
  15. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

This. It lowers your inhibitions, so you behave more impulsively.

I haven't done "bad" things, as in illegal (that I can thin of), but I have made a fool out of myself more than once. I think pwarbi covered it. If you've been drunk, you've probably done something you regret.
  16. LilAnn

I've done bad things in the sense of: illegal, unethical, immoral, not very well thought out, aggressive, unloyal, and whatever else that I can't remember right now.
  17. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHome Community Champion

Cheated on ex husband, threw things at him, chased him out of my house naked with a knife, microwaved aluminum foil (STUPID IDEA!) among other less serious but still stupid things.
  18. LilAnn

Lmao
    Those sort of things happen to the best of us
    I decided to be responsible with my ex mother in laws car. Me and my friends walked to the bar and left the car safely sitting in the drive way. On the way back home I fell into the door and broke the mirror completely off.
    SarahWorksAtHome likes this.
  19. neighborsboy

neighborsboy Member

I just got to be ten feet tall and bullet proof. Oh yeah, also became one Casanova! When I was in the US Army some twenty plus years ago. My roommate at the time was from a little town in Texas and he loved to drink. Well, anyone who knows how young guys in the military act is enough said. We started drinking around noon. I guess around five p.m. we got a taxi ride down to the local strip club area and proceeded to drink some more. Well, the short of it is we got got into a fight just him and I, with six, count them six other guys and we totally whooped their ass and we got bruised up those guys were finished. Ended up costing me around 1500 dollars and it cost my friend that as well. We tore the bar all to hell. Busted every mirror in it. I talk about this a lot because we could have been killed. I mean that is the stupidest thing I have ever done just luckily we came out on top. Except for all the KP duty and extra guard duty we had to pull not to mention the 1500 I was out. Just damn stupid. lol "Be easy!"
    Neighborsboy
  20. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I've done some shameful things whilst drunk but I'm pretty sure the majority of us have so I won't beat myself up about it. These days, I rarely get drunk although that's probably more due to age than any particular desire to quit.