An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Have you ever heard of someone breaking out in rashes, while using cocaine??

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by pineywood, Apr 10, 2015.

1. pineywood

pineywood Community Champion

I have a distant acquaintance, who lives in another state. When I visit, and happen to run across him, I can always tell when he is not clean because his body is all broken out in hives and rashes. I wonder, if that is just the way his body reacts or is it common? If common, does anyone know why this happens? Not only does it look awful, it looks very uncomfortable!
  2. cheeto

cheeto Member

It may have to do with the body's reaction to the drug, but maybe due to being high your friend doesn't make personal hygiene a priority and the body succumbs to that?
  3. pineywood

Well, I do not think it has to do with personal hygiene, but I never thought of that scenario. I was wondering, if was just an individual case of their body breaking out. Although, I was leaning towards it being a more common characteristic. Now, it kind of worries me that there is even more going on then the terrible addiction. Additional, health problems is not going to help, or maybe it will be an incentive to go see a doctor and be a step in the right direction. Well, I hope so!
  4. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

No I have not. However if they are majorly tweaking they could of just scratch themselves raw. I've seen meth addicts do that to their faces before. Would it be a stretch that a cocaine addict do the same thing?
    pineywood likes this.
  5. Carmilla

Carmilla Active Contributor

Hm...no I hadn't heard of it before now. That's very interesting. I agree it could be the scratching thing. Either way, it's pretty helpful that you have an indicator!
    pineywood likes this.
  6. pineywood

I think you might be right. I guess, I should have thought of that, since I have heard of and know about the urge to itch irrationally before with meth I would think meth and cocaine would be similar in this respect, too. It might be that they have extremely sensitive skin and this is a reaction to any kind of excessive, prolonged scratching. Thanks for the insight.
  7. lgdg090596

lgdg090596 Senior Contributor

I believe I've heard of some. Yes.
    pineywood likes this.
  8. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I never suffered from any skin rashes during my "cocaine years" personally. It might well be an indicator for him though - after all, everyone is different. Otherwise, it might just be an indicator of poor general health. If you're doing coke regularly, you won't be too healthy and the rash might just be a symptom of being run down or undernourished.
    pineywood likes this.
  9. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Having rashes is a side effect of cocaine, I guess. The drug causes serious skin reactions, especially for people with sensitive skin or undisclosed skin issues. If you consume a more concentrated amount of cocaine, the higher your chances of getting rashes. Prior to taking the substance, some people dilute it to avoid this side effect.
    pineywood likes this.
  10. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I have never heard of this, and it could also mean that a side effect has been caused by taking cocaine and also it may be causing these rashes to occur. The body does get affected, and in different people it shows on skin or inside the body and it may be due to taking cocaine a lot and body is starting to reject it as well. It, may be doing this since some people add things to the drug and not pure kind of like diluted alcohol which are sold by people doing bottlegging and don't use the real stuff sometimes.
    pineywood likes this.
  11. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Yes, it's actually becoming more common because cocaine these days contains a lot of nasty chemicals that are used during its production. So, your friend might not be reacting to the cocaine itself but rather be allergic to synthetic ingredients and chemical residues in the drug.
    pineywood likes this.
  12. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

As far as I am aware, this kind of thing can also be the result of nervousness and anxiety. I haven't personally known anyone who came out in a rash or anything similar from taking cocaine. As mentioned above though, itching and scratching is a symptom of amphetamine and meth use. Seeing as cocaine is also an upper, it wouldn't surprise me if the same symptoms can be caused by cocaine too. The itching can be due to sweating while on the drug or due to poor circulation.
    pineywood likes this.
  13. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Our bodies are different, so they react differently to substances. That's how his body rejects the drug, or more probably how it's alerting him that the substance is bad for him. Therefore it's not really that uncommon.
    pineywood likes this.
  14. pineywood

This concerns me. I wonder how many people are doing the "bootlegged substances" these days. Okay, it's all manufactured, but when someone is partaking in this drug - with who knows what - added into it, it is like double trouble. For sure, there can be no doubt, the body is saying NO. If only, we would listen more to what our "body" tells us is good for us and what is harmful. We all would be a lot healthier!

Thanks for the feedback everyone!
  15. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

A few years ago, there were reports that a lot of the cocaine currently circulating had been cut with some chemical used by vets for deworming animals. The said chemical would also cause bad skin reactions in humans, so it's possible something that their cocaine was cut with was causing these issues. You can read more about this particular chemical at the link below:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Addict...e-use-and-bad-skin-rash-reaction/show/1916920

This was one of the reasons I was beyond grateful for having quit cocaine for several years prior to this, because lord knows what is actually in it these days - especially with synthetics taking over.
  16. Sparkster

It makes sense. Of course, the dealers and suppliers want to make as much money as they possibly can so they cut it with other cheaper and more easily available substances to make up the weight. I'm not too sure what cocaine is cut with these days but I have heard that some of the heroin on the streets has been found to contain paracetamol and even brick dust. I've also heard that amphetamine is often cut with sodium bicarb and glucose.
  17. pineywood

This is really disturbing news. Thanks for stepping up and providing this link. The sad thing is when people become addicted, they do not think rationally. Even if chemicals like deworming chemicals are added into the mix. It really scares me and angers me how people make all this money off drugs and then try to cut corners by adding stuff like this!

Glad to hear you no longer indulge!
  18. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Sounds like he is having an allergic reaction to whatever he is doing. Could be laced with something else. Cheap kind maybe. Amethyst is talking about synthetic additives. Yeah, this is what I mean. They try to bulk it up with other crap. Maybe something to ensure addiction. Who knows. It's no good.
    He could also be into something else too.
  19. Mara

Mara Community Champion

It may mean a lot of things. The rashes can be an allergic reaction to the cocaine, or perhaps other stuff that he may be using, like soap. Or perhaps he has a skin condition. Either way he needs to see a doctor. I hope that your friend seek the help that he needs.
  20. Sparkster

As suggested above it could also be an allergy or reaction to the cocaine itself or to any of the other substances it has been cut with. Also, its not unusual for cocaine and amphetamine users to suffer with delusional parasitosis which results in rashes from picking the skin. Many people go on to believe that they have bugs or parasites living under the skin but its actually delusion and the rash is left from picking and scratching.