An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Have you ever helped another addict?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by FuZyOn, Jun 1, 2015.

1. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

If yes, how did things go? Was he very receptive about you trying to help or was he not that excited about recovering?
    I never got around to doing this, but I'm really curious if you have some stories to share.
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I have tried several times to help addicts. Most of them were quite enthusiastic at first but enthusiasm and action are entirely different things. Except for one [a friend of mine who quit smoking] the rest didn't try to fight their addictions.

They sure thought it would be great if they didn't abuse drugs anymore but because they were unwilling [or not ready] to fight nothing changed. Years after being warned about how harmful drugs are [to them] they still use them.
  3. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

While I've not helped another addict personally, I think a lot of people on this forum help in their own small way by sharing their experiences on here. It's a place where people can turn to for help, somtimes just reading other people's stories and how they are going about things can be an encouragement to a lot of people who are going through the same thing.
  4. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

No. I haven't experienced helping an addict personally yet, but being on this forum makes me feel that I have a purpose in life, and that is to inspire and help people who need some sort of motivation in their life.
  5. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

I have helped or at least tried to help two different kinds of addicts. One, who wanted to change and the other who did not. The first one had a lot of enthusiasm which died after a day or two and he turned into the second guy. It's hard to beat addiction.
  6. gracer

gracer Community Champion

I have never experienced helping another addicted person yet, but I'm hoping I could somehow help and positively influence someone through this forum. I myself am getting more and more inspired by the inspirational posts I read here everyday so I'm hoping I could contribute in some way. I guess the important thing is for all of us to practice and exercise the art of helping each other in any way we can. :)
  7. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I have tried to help many, but I can't say I can report any major success. Perhaps it has everything to do with most being addicted to marijuana and they not seeing it as any drug to be overly concerned about. It does not stop me from trying so I will continue to share what I know without being a nag. Some you just have to leave alone though.
  8. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

Yes I have. I took them in and began to to teach them computer skills. After several days they ran away and the next time I saw them, they were in prison.
  9. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Oh dear. That's so unfortunate. Maybe if this person is released they might have learned a lesson. In a case like this you did your part. Some prefer to learn the hard way. I imagine the prison stay had something to do with drugs? I still hope for some sort of happy ending if prison does not make the situation worse.
  10. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I don't know anyone who is addicted to drugs, but I have a bro that is addicted to cigarettes. Since his addiction is "harmless" as compared to other addictions, all he got was a little warning from my dad, and that's it. He's an adult already, so he knows the consequences of his actions.
  11. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

I wouldn't put it that way. It may be less harmful but is certainly not harmless!
  12. serenity

serenity Community Champion

You got a point there. It's certainly not harmless, but since it doesn't affect your brain and it affects the heart and lungs, it doesn't make the person behave in a different way, as compared to drugs.
  13. seatones

seatones Member

I've tried, and it's really good to pound the idea into someone's head that they need help. It's always up to them, however. You can try to help but the farthest it will go is making them more aware of their problems. It's usually really difficult to make someone take action with their addiction if they aren't ready, or aren't willing. I could see it working if they were on the fence about getting help or not, but this is usually not the case unless the timing is right. I think the best thing to do is remind them the consequences of their actions and how it is effecting the people around them; this usually will push them in the right direction, even if it's slow.