An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Have you ever smoked spice ("Synthetic Marijuana")?

Discussion in 'Designer Drugs (Synthetic Marijuana, etc.)' started by Rub, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Rob93FL

Rob93FL Senior Contributor

I don't understand why people refer to all spice as K2. In the same way that not all brands of shoes are Nike, not all brands of "spice" are K2. K2 has become a catch-all term for synthetic cannabinoids when it shouldn't be. In addition to that, there is no such thing as a strain of THC. THC is THC, and synthetic cannabinoids are synthetic cannabinoids. While they are both cannabinoids, they are completely different chemicals.

Because there are so many different types of synthetic cannabinoids, the effects vary from cannabinoid to cannabinoid. While the one you smoked might have given you a five-minute high and a headache, that shouldn't be used as a description of synthetic cannabinoids in general.
  2. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

True enough, but by generalizing it helps people understand the drug as a whole. I was simply relating my experiences to him, because he was wondering what synthetic cannabinoid in relation to "Spice" could be related to. It's no different then a THC strain head high. It's not a body high or chest high that most cannabinoid drugs influence, much like Marinol. I've used plenty of synthetic forms, and I understand why you said it was a catch-all term, but most people (like myself) will respond to "Spice" comments as "K2 Drugs"

I'm sorry if it came off as presumptuous or know-it-all, but it's the truth. I've done a lot of things I'm not proud of, I was just trying to relate it the original posters comments.
  3. Rob93FL

I understand what you're saying, and you're not acting like a know-it-all, but you can't generalize when it comes to spice. There is no "drug as a whole." Different blends contain different synthetic cannabinoids that produce vastly different effects, including euphoric body highs. For example, JWH-081 is very euphoric, while JWH-018 is much more of a speedy head high.
  4. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I've heard of it and I'm very thankful that it's not reached our country yet and instead we just have the real kind. I'd much rather the kids here smoke something natural instead of this artificial substance that causes people to lose their minds. The funny thing is that it is still legal which really is telling of how misguided our lawmakers are.
  5. Rob93FL

What country are you in? Synthetic cannabinoids are illegal in quite a few countries.
  6. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

The term K2 also causes a lot of confusion in the UK. The reason being that, although Spice is known as K2 and the term K2 is used for synthetic cannibinoids in general, there is also a real strain of marijuana in the UK which is also called K2 but it's not synthetic, it's just a real strain of marijuana and is illegal (I think Spice is still legal here, though I may be wrong).
  7. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

I still can't suggest cannabinoid like medications or abuse of substance because the long term side effects are lot more of an issue then you'd think, over THC. A lot of people say they suffer from Arrhythmia after extended smoking, and some have been known to kick the bucket. Mary Jane hasn't done that, aside from maybe killing a stoned idiot in a car crash or accident. It just doesn't up and off you. Whereas "Spice" has that side effect.
  8. timelord731

timelord731 Senior Contributor

Yes, and it was a terrifying experience. It hit instantly and I had no idea what was going on. I immediately got the spins and was just laying on the floor convulsing until I came out of it. DO NOT TRY SPICE.
  9. Sparkster

That doesn't sound like a very nice high at all! I have met someone who was a regular user of the stuff and was addicted. He was a former heroin addict and believes that synthetic marijuana is more addictive than heroin. It would make him severely ill to the point that he would physically vomit. He looked pale and skinny and very ill but despite that fact he just couldn't stop taking it.
  10. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

I have never tried synthetic marijuana before. I say why try fake when the real deal is not in short supply? I think the synthetic marijuana is dangerous and I will never try it. Marijuana is legal in some places and so it is only a matter of time before it will be legally available in more areas.
  11. Rob93FL

The problem is that it isn't legal in a lot of areas. Most of the people who smoke it do so because they get drug tested at work/while on probation.
  12. Sparkster

There are people that wouldn't know where to go or who to see in order to get the real stuff, so they may try legal instead. Also, first time users such as kids may be tempted to try it thinking that it must be okay because it's legal. Additionally, there are those who may owe their dealers money and can't get enough money to pay back their dealer and buy more real stuff, so they buy legal stuff instead. The real stuff is not cheap in the UK and is more expensive than gold and synthetic is much more readily available. Also, because it's legal, they don't run the risk of being prosecuted for possession of it.
  13. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I can't say I smoke anything other than tobacco anymore. But back when I did smoke weed, synthetic pot or "legal bud" was just coming out. Being that in live in Canada, the legal implications of pot really weren't that bad so I had no incentive to switch to a legal alternative. That, and we know about the effects of pot and it's easy to make an informed decision, but we don't know what the hell is in this spice crap. Personally, if I can't tell you what exactly a drug does after researching it, I won't touch it.
  14. Sparkster

I found out a couple of days ago that, thankfully, the 'legal highs' shop in my local city has now been closed down by the police. It wasn't closed down for selling legal highs, it was actually closed down for anti-social behaviour, noise pollution and causing a nuisance to other local businesses but if that's the route that needs to be taken to shut these places down then so be it.
  15. ThatKidWithTheFace

ThatKidWithTheFace Active Contributor

I was addicted to synthetic cannibinoids for about a year. Like most drugs, most of what you hear about them is wrong, but they are still bad news.
    Rob93FL likes this.
  16. Sparkster

Most of what I've heard about synthetic marijuana comes directly from people who have experience with it. However, it doesn't surprise me that 'official' information would probably be exaggerated in an attempt to deter people. The same was done with Mephedrone/MCat. Can you explain more about inaccurate information?
  17. fruitdrank

fruitdrank Member

I've smoked it once, but I know people who have smoked lots of it and suffered some serious side effects. Some claim that they don't act the same way - "perma-stoned" - and have suffered things like heart palpitations, seizures, vomiting, and so on. Aside from that, I've known people who would steal things and pawn them in order to pay for their Spice habit. Nasty stuff.
  18. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

No, because I've heard enough accounts of people getting permanent liver damage from these, as well as their hearts stopping. I'm not a fan of taking "downers", especially considering that I drink a lot and you're never supposed to mix downers with booze.

The only synthetic drugs I have done are bath salts, and the strength and effects of them vary a lot, so if you were to do anything I would start really small first, and not smoke the equivalent of the amount you would smoke with real weed.
  19. Rob93FL

The interesting thing about cannabinoids is that they don't only fit under one classification of drug. They can exhibit stimulant, depressant, and psychedelic properties.
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2015