An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Have you ever thought?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by JoshPosh, Aug 20, 2015.

1. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Have you ever thought of how your life would of turn out if you it weren't for alcoholism? I think about that sometimes. I think my life would of been different and I would like to think that I would be more successful in life. I know I would definitely have more money to spend on things that I need and not the excess.

What say you?
  2. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

All the money and time spent on alcohol which were in complete vain... I also think it would've been different if I hadn't been lured into this dreadful world. I firmly believe that, though it's a matter of past now and I'd like to focus on the future more. The past should be the past, I believe. I have many entrepreneurship ideas in my head that I'd like to develop, and just thinking about my wasteful past would be counterproductive.
  3. hoverman

hoverman Active Contributor

I think that it certainly would be different for many people, had they not succumb to alcohol dependence. Nonetheless, it could arguably be productive to view that journey to and from dependence, as something that not many people experience, and take it as a means of inspiration - if you can beat off one of life's most difficult challenges, there is arguably little you can't do if you truly set your mind to it.

Money is replaceable, but the lessons learnt, and motivation that we could gain, is absolutely priceless in my opinion
  4. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Fortunately, I've never been addicted to alcohol and my life has definitely benefited because of that. While I had a fairly short sojourn with drugs, I would've completed destroyed my life had I not undergone recovery. I don't think I would be able to run a successful business and keep a healthy relationship with those around me, had I continued with drugs or became dependent on alcohol.
  5. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I have never had an addiction but my partner is addicted and his whole life is a downward spiral. If he didn't have this problem he would be living an entirely different life. He comes from a well to do family who have lots of money. They run their own boat yard and are very successful. He could have had a part of that too but he walked away from it all because of his addictions. His mother was an extremely wealthy woman. She wanted him to run her company. He was her sole heir but he walked away from that too. She died a few months back and she left him nothing. It all went to her sister and her family.

He can't hold a job. In the time that we have been together he has bounced from job to job. Most of them only last a week at the most. The majority of the time he hasn't been working though. He sits home and plays computer games all day while I work. He does the odd job for a few neighbours and as soon as they play him he heads to the liquor store. It is sad to watch him destroying his life.
  6. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I know I'd have ended up going more useful things with my time and my life just in general. I wasted so much time in my vices.. maybe now I'd be a doctor. Maybe, if it wasn't for the drugs and the alcohol odds are I could have been that. But no time for regrets... it is what it is now, and I better do what I can with what I have. Plus regretting takes you nowhere :(
  7. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

To be honest I try not to think to much about it as it's when you dwell on things you start to get depressed. There's nothing you can do or change about your past, but you can change what happens now and in future so I'd rather concentrate on that.
  8. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I think about it as well I think that is something most addicts have in common. I often wonder how my life may have been had I not been born into it, and if I have had a decent childhood would my emotional issues have even happen. Because as a child I was straight put through hell a long with my brothers because of my drunk daddy.
  9. harold

harold Community Champion

Without alcohol, many people will not misbehave. The social order of society will be brighter and better. There will be no drunk men and women out there. Fewer accidents on the highway, few unnecessary fights--it is no longer a secret that many people fight under the influence of alcohol. There will also be fewer drug addicts. I know many people who started doing drugs when they began taking alcohol. Without alcohol, there will be more happy and prosperous families. The standards of living in certain homes will improve substantially. Alcohol has caused so much problems in society that one cannot explain. If one sits down and carefully and analysis the problems that alcohol has caused to society, one will be shocked. It is rather unfortunate that the number of alcohol takers is increasing instead of reducing. That is out society. What can we say?
  10. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Alcohol has been one of my biggest teachers in life. As paradoxical as this might sound, but alcohol has helped me to survive and inspired me to find my own way in life. As I've already mentioned often in this forum, I grew up with alcoholic parents and succumbed to excessive drinking myself at an early age. Alcohol taught me "how not to be".
    But all my insights that I gained about my personal alcohol abuse only hit me quite a while after I gave up drinking. I am even grateful that alcohol pushed me to such a level of desperation that I needed to take some very drastic action and move to another part of the world to overcome it. The truth is that without alcohol, I wouldn't be where I am now. And where I am now is a good place.
  11. stridee

stridee Active Contributor

Having alcohol can play a big role in your life. Yes, it is harmful, but it teaches you that it is important to have motivation and endurance to be able to recover from the addiction of alcohol. A lot of people are still suffering from addiction so be proud of yourself. While there are many teenagers and adults out there harming themselves with alcohol, you are the one who was able to quit. Also, we should help those around us who are suffering from addiction because everyone's lives matter.
  12. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I was not really an alcoholic before so I don't think my life would be so different from my current state of living. I actually don't have a lot of regrets. Being sort of a heavy drinker in high school and college was all part of growing up, I guess.
  13. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I think I would of had more money that time and spent it more on things which were useful and can be something which is hard to break free from easily, and also it can cause lung or liver damage if taken all the time. I think that young people take it as the environment they are in, can cause them to do this or the friends they have which can be a influence on them as well. It can fell good at times to drink alcohol to relax yourself but if you use it to run away from the problems, then it can cause problems and also mood swings in your day to day life.
  14. Whiskers

Whiskers Active Contributor

Mine would certainly be different if I was not drinking. I think about it some times and find myself wishing for a way out of this. Drinking is an expensive habit both monetarily and otherwise.
  15. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I don't think about it because I couldn't change anything. My parents were alcoholics and my life was ruined straight from the cradle. Obviously my life would have been different if my parents hadn't been alcoholics. Good thing though other people filled the void that was in my life so I don't think I missed out on much. In fact my life got to be totally different [in a good way] from what it would have been had my parents been more responsible.
  16. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I guess to me the biggest regret is financial. So much wasted money that could have been better spent, or even invested.

As much as I do look back at those days with some frustration and disappointment, I felt like I learned a lot from them too. So whilst I wouldn't wish it on anyone, I'm glad that I got through it because I know how strong I am now, and I also feel like I can empathize better with others.
  17. henry

henry Community Champion

Well, I'm the type of guy who thinks we learn the most from our biggest mistakes. I wouldn't erase anything in my life, no matter how bad it was, because I would also be erasing many very important lessons I've learned thanks to those awful mistakes. Sometimes a cigar is not just a cigar.
  18. pstrong1969

pstrong1969 Community Champion

My addiction certainly stunted my growth as a human being. Now im trying to clear up the wreckage of my past. I will not digress to my past, i will admit i learned alot of hard lessons from the past. I live in the moment. Much more serenity there. Peace to all.
  19. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I used to dwell on my past addiction a lot, particularly the money I'd wasted. However, I have come to realise that there's no point standing with one leg in the past, one leg in the future, p*ssing all over today.
  20. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

This is a good question that I am sure many ask themselves. I think it can add to a person not being successful. It can be used as an excuse to not be or not have been. I've certainly seen very successful people who were or are alcoholics. Average to hardly successful people that are alcoholics too. People who are barely successful that are not alcoholics at all.
    You can be successful in life at any stage of it. Right? I heard a story of a woman making over 2 million in one year after age 60 something. I guess we all look for the reason to blame for something like not being successful. Alcohol, bad family upbringing, tough times or whatever. Not being as self centered or as cut throat as others so you don't succeed as well. It's funny to think about it at this point and try to put your finger on it. Cause you really can't. There are so many things that come into play. It all boils down to determinism. Maybe some people can become successful and not have a conscious as they climb up to get what they want. Even if it takes half a lifetime or more to be successful one can certainly be much prouder of themselves if they used determinism to keep things right with themselves and others. Instead of stepping on other people or cheating. I know I will.
    I know I was offered something to be done for me to get my foot in the door with some work that would have completely changed the game for me. It would of been a complete lie and the person who offered it was their idea. They would have covered and stood up for that lie. I opted out. I didn't like the idea of it. My life would be very different now if I allows that. But I'll stick to what I believe and keep going.