An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Have you ever thought?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by JoshPosh, Aug 20, 2015.

1. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

All I can think about is how grateful I am that I'm not there anymore. It took so much from me and I don't know where I'd be if I was still in that same place today.
  2. MichelleVL

MichelleVL Senior Contributor

I wasn't addicted to alcohol, but I'm currently addicted to smoking cigarettes. So I can relate. Plain and simple, I wish I would never had touched that first cigarette. I think that if I would of saved all the money I've spent on cigarettes throughout the years I would have my own house and several cars by now. I know for a fact that my health would be a whole lot better if it weren't for cigarettes too. Also, I wouldn't have lost some good intimate relationships to cigarettes. I don't feel bitter about those lost relationships, I just wish that if I was going to lose them regardless, that I lose them because of some other reason. just not cigarettes.
  3. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Oh I think this all the time.
    I ask God why was I put through such hell in the early part of my life.
    Some of it is my own dumb decisions, but I also feel that I have now a calling.
    I have braved the fires of hell so that I may help people make their own good decisions and warn with first hand knowledge the dangers of the bottle.
  4. artyarson

artyarson Active Contributor

I do drink sometimes but always in moderation.
  5. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Well, those thoughts were what put me over the line. I started sobering up once I realized how much I can achieve without alcohol and addictions. That motivated me everyday, and here I am, alcohol-free and happy to live!
  6. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

I'm not sure how things would have turned out for me had I not drank at all in my 20's. Back then I was drinking more for social reasons, and I made a lot of connections and friendships in the process - some have which ended up opening the doors for me to various employment opportunities ironically. I'm a pretty introverted/shy person so I don't do so well socializing in general. I'm not a people person when I'm not drinking, so I tend to miss out on a lot of opportunities to network and introduce myself to others. My bosses and coworkers and I would go out to drink at least once or twice a week, and blow off some steam, but we were also building some trust among each other as well. It helped me voice some concerns over various "office politics" with them that I otherwise would not have brought up, or told my side of the story on.

As I entered into my thirties though, and moved away from most of my friends, and was living in a new location not knowing anyone, I started drinking more by myself at home. Those years I definitely regret. Initially I had felt like I was being more responsible not going out to bars regularly any more, but it also caused my drinking to escalate quickly. I would say the drinking in my 30's I definitely regret, since it lead to two DUI's and being fired from a good job.
  7. angelicagapit

angelicagapit Active Contributor

Well, it's true that alcohol does take up a lot of time and money.

You waste time drinking, and the next morning, your hangover keeps you in bed until late afternoon. I've always thought about putting my money somewhere else instead of alcohol, and I realize how much money I would've had if by the end of the month I computed it all.

Yes, I've thought of it and I regret buying tons of alcohol for my friends and I.
  8. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Community Champion

Someone already put it beautifully, but I think that dwelling on what might have been won't serve you. If you're working on beating the addiction and you're winning, that shows discipline, tenaciousness, and strong will--a determination to be good to yourself, and overcome adversity.

Mastery of the self. That's the biggest key, and there are a LOT of people on this planet who could stand to try it out.
  9. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I really wouldn't think those thoughts because they would depress me. We can't change the past, and we are who we are. I am sure my life would have been different, had I not let my food addiction rule my life...but I made the choices I made, and am still making sadly...maybe I should think about how it could be different...but as for the past...I can't change that, so no desire to think about it.
  10. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

This is something interesting to think about. I've never thought about how my life would have panned out if alcoholism wasn't involved. My father was a heavy alcoholic throughout my childhood and although he wasn't always in my life, he still had a huge effect on me. I imagine that I wouldn't have such a distaste for alcohol. Who knows, I might have been an alcoholic myself if it wasn't for seeing how much it can ruin your life.
  11. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

It would have been a lot different. But I would have been a lot different as well. I have to agree that alcoholism has taught me many lessons and sometimes it even kept me from doing something even more stupid. Also, I have learned from my recovery how to discipline myself and how to see the beauty of the surrounding world. It played a pretty important role in my life, and I wouldn't change anything if I had the opportunity to do so.
  12. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Life could always be better if we never had anything in the way of our priorities. The good thing about it is your experiences show you where you could have done better, so in the future you'll never repeat the same mistakes. As long as your still alive you have a chance for a better life. There would have been a lot of things I could have done differently If I knew better. It's better to make up for the past by making better decisions today.
  13. rtorir

rtorir Member

A child from a family of alcoholics, have a higher risk of one day becoming alcoholic themselves. If you are such kid, then you may start counting the loss from as far as your grandfather or further. The best thing is to focus on your future. Choose who you want to be tomorrow because you have the power to do so. Unfortunately you can’t change the past. The things you can get from the past are prolonged regrets and depression.
  14. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

To be honest i am not a real alcoholic but i tend to drink sometimes more then i should and the way i do it looks like i am an alcoholic. I am alone in my room, it is past midnight and i have whiskey in one hand and pen in the other. Paper is on the table and i start to write. i believe my life would be emptier without alcohol and its effect. i would never write some lines and poems i really like. Something like this i write when i drink.

Who can i call if you live me to die
    if i never live up to your dream ?
    Who can call if my head starts to crawl
    if my body falls short to redeem?

When can i smile if you live me to die
    if i rip off my stomach with a lie?
    What can i say when a glass starts to cry
    it is probably time not to stay?

Who can i kill if all that i am
    is just a shivering shadow of a man?
    Who is to blame when a rock in my fist
    comes thundering back with a plan?