An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Have you ever tried combining alcohol with drugs?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by rightct, Apr 13, 2015.

1. rightct

rightct Community Champion

When I was 18, I used to smoke pot a lot. I was addicted to it, along with cigarettes; there just couldn't be a day without rolling a marijuana and cigarette joint, and just have a great time.
    One day, I decided I needed to go to the next level, that is, combining marijuana with alcohol. But alcohol not as in 1 bottle of beer, but 5! Oh, man, the mistake I did...
    So, upon consuming both 5 bottles and marijuana, I had the sensation I would pass out soon. I didn't, but I felt horrendous; nausea came in, too, and was to stay for the next 8 hours straight! I couldn't even sleep. It was that painful.
    I experimented it because some of my friends told me at the time it wouldn't cause me any harm but good feelings and vibes, but they were wrong. Absolutely wrong.
    Did you guys do anything similar to my experience? If so, how you felt? Did you want to try again? I personally didn't even touch alcohol for the next 4 years!
  2. Se7en

Se7en Active Contributor

I usually go get myself a beer, after I light one up (1 bottle). I did try combining marijuana with hard liqour, it wasn't that bad experience. It was at night on a beach, I've spent few hours laying on my back and watching night sky and stars. It was something inbetween being drunk and high... after few hours when I got up, I felt tired and drunk, got myself something to eat and went to sleep. Had some headaches next day, but nothing worse. That was my first experince mixing those two substances together :) Did try and will try again.
  3. lulu

lulu Active Contributor

I do not do this. but my father in law does. And let me tell you it's not good from the outside view. The people that have to be around him and deal with his anger. It's a terrible thing and kills my husband to see his father this way. It takes alot to get to him and alot to even stand to be around him. My husband is The only person that is able to get to him but has yet been able to help him figure out how to stop his bad ways
  4. Johnsnow123

Johnsnow123 Active Contributor

I don't do this, I stopped doing drugs a long time ago because of the horrible effects it had on me, I'm trying to stop drinking but now it's a huge addiction to me, but no I probably won't try this in the future.
  5. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

I don't drink often, but I used to take Xanax with beer. I also used to smoke weed everyday so anytime I drank I was drinking while high on marijuana. I have combined both, but because I'm not a heavy drinker it was only with one or two beers.
  6. I have tried alcohol and Marijuana. I'll have to admit that I DIED and had a massive hang over the next morning.
  7. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I've got to admit that I was quite fond of a cold beer and a joint back in the day. It's certainly true that smoking pot after having too much to drink can send your head spinning though. I remember spending one evening with my head down the toilet after drinking one too many whilst smoking. Like everything else, it's best done in moderation, if at all.
  8. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

No. I actually drink occasionally now. Before, I was kind of a heavy drinker in my teenage years, but I have never done drugs yet, and thank you for the warning, I don't think I'll ever combine alcohol with drugs. My insomnia and headaches are bad enough.
  9. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I had friends that use to drink and then smoke pot. They got so hammered. I was never a smoker so I never touched the stuff. But my friends were basically a dead body with no motor skills. If they weren't breathing one would think that they were dead. It was that staggering.
  10. TommyVercetti

TommyVercetti Community Champion

Some drugs actually react negatively when taken together with alcohol--to the point of them being potentially deadly. Some people do actually use this concoction as a method for suicide.
  11. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

When I was younger we used to do this on a regular basis at the weekend. All sit around smoking joint's and drinking beer, it was like the two went hand in hand. it seemed like th e alcohol enhanced the feeling of the weed and the other way round aswell. As we've got older we rarely do both these days it's either one or the other.

I put it down to just being young and stupid maybe but having said that, I still know a lot of people now that like a drink when theyre having a smoke so, each to their own I guess.
  12. Jericho Mercado

Jericho Mercado Active Contributor

I like you suffer from insomnia and headaches. Mine are due to PTSD and avoidance of the horrific nightmares I often get. When I dream, all though I never recall them, I actually lash out like I am in a fight. I would never mix recreational drugs with alcohol but I have taken a shot of Hennessy with the proper dose of a prescribed medication to intensify the effect and get the medication to work quicker.
  13. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

On the rare occasion that I would smoke pot, it was BECAUSE I was drinking. It was the quickest way to get me to vomit, too
  14. Merricat

Merricat Member

I did this a lot with xanax and pain meds when I could get my hands on them. I know I did it to get high and cope with the difficult emotions I was experiencing, but I think I also used it as a form of self harm since I knew how bad it was for me and how easily I could overdose. Like a passive form of suicide if that makes sense. Looking back on my past behavior it really scares me how close I sometimes came to doing something irreversible.
  15. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

Cocaine & alcohol seem to be a really big thing nowadays with guys. I really feel like it has something to do with them thinking they should be able to consume ridiculous amounts of alcohol & still appear to be sober. It's nonsensical idiocy. I used to smoke weed & drink because I always wanted to drink. Smoking weed wasn't at the top of my list but if I was going to partake I'd have to be drinking first. Didn't feel right when smoking alone. Tobacco & alcohol was the same for me in that sense as well.
  16. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

I have not. But I may have gotten second hand smoke from my friends who were smoking right next to me. But it is a dangerous combination. I knew a girl once that was on pain killers and she started to drink alcohol. What happened was that she passed out at a party, and she was lifeless, and I thought she had died. Just complete lifeless body. In a few hours she came to and she walked home. Scary stuff.
  17. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

Yes, many times, and never with good results.

In fact, I partially blame my prescription drugs for depression as being a component in me starting to drink far more heavily. From the age of 21 up until about my early 30's I had drank regularly but was never what I would consider an "alcoholic" by any means. I could go for weeks or days without drinking, but then party hard on a given weekend or a special event, then go for days again without touching another drink. I consider it "alcoholism" when you start craving it daily. For many years, I was always the person who would call it quits early and start sobering up for the last couple hours, so I could get home alright, and perhaps give some other people rides home if they were too hammered.

But in early 2008 when I started taking Zoloft for depression, instead of cutting back on my drinking it got far worse. Zoloft on it's own wasn't doing much of anything to treat my depression, but to make matters worse, when I drank on it, it made me really euphoric and careless to the point where I started polishing off more than half a bottle if not 3/4 of a bottle in one evening. Sometimes I would keep drinking well into the wee hours of the morning before I had to be at work.
  18. henry

henry Community Champion

LOL. Mixing drugs with booze was my area of expertise. Once you try it, you never want to go back to doing just one thing. At least that's how it was for me. There was a time when I had to have, bozze with something else or I wouldn't drink at all. I really- and I mean really- liked mixing booze with valium pills, coke or weed. Mixing booze with Valium was the most dangerous, in my opinion. It really made my knees weak, I would lose balance and fall easily. That's why I only took valium if I was drinking at home.
  19. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

Yup. Had alcohol with weed, alcohol with MDMA -- cannot say it was always good ideas, but it was not a catastrophe either. Alcohol "helped" getting a kick sooner? But I don't really did it much, and not at all anymore. Just not in the mood for it, have not been for a long time.
  20. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

Nope. I have heard some horror stories about some of the things that people have combined with alcohol, though. One of the worst that I have heard was someone who combined Xanax with alcohol. They had a seizure and nearly lost their life from an overdose.