An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Have you ever tried support groups?

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Friend' started by Zyni, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

Have you tried any support groups that are geared towards family members and friends of addicts?

I know one woman who went. She was angry when they told her she was an enabler, but she did end up learning a lot and was glad for it later.

I've never been to one. I did go to regular AA meetings with a friend before, because he couldn't make himself go on his own. Once he got started, he could handle it better, but I attended the first few with him for moral support.
  2. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I did go to AA meetings before but there were no family members there. I guess privacy and people privacy was more important. Not everyone wants to spill their guts to a bunch of stranger.
  3. lgdg090596

lgdg090596 Senior Contributor

I don't really feel comfortable talking about my problems to a group of strangers I just met.
  4. raidermari

raidermari Member

I haven't personally tried support groups but I have a friend who did. For a lot of people, talking to people you don't know and are likely to never meet outside of the support group, can be very liberating. Friends and family have a lot of expectations from us and it can be hard to admit certain things to them. Telling your worst deeds and fears to a bunch of strangers who are also going through something similar, if not exactly the same thing, can be a positive impetus for many to share.

My friend was having a very hard time trying to stay off Alcohol. Once he started going to AA meetings, he got a lot better. He was more open about himself and it seemed like he developed some confidence. I guess it depends on your personality. Your outlook determines whether joining a support group will help or not. He didn't even have to share much to be a part of the group. He told me he heard stories that were a lot worse than his own and it made him realize that he wasn't alone in this struggle.
  5. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Yes, it's rather hard talking about one's problems to a group of strangers but, when still under the effects of a substance, doing this is way too much easier as the subconscious mind process this in a different way that when we are conscious of what we are doing.

This way, the subconscious say "well, after all, nobody here knows who I am or where I come from" and this help to speak out whatever you are struggling with.

As for me, I tried support groups at first, but I discovered something that didn't like me; at a support group, and depending on your sensibility, you may "pick" others behavior or problems as your own, and this may either depress you even more, or giving you additional problems if you try to do whatever they are narrating to have done to stop or to continue partying in addiction.
  6. 6up

6up Community Champion

I did not join any group to stop drinking. I got motivated through online forums and websites. Groups can really help one to quit taking drugs. Mostly when you sharing the common problem. Through this way, many addicts have changed to the better.
  7. llfsa

llfsa Member

Support groups play a very important role in recovery and sympathizing is a very effective tool of self-awareness.
    With the right group of people this could actually be something that would benefit you greatly in many aspects of your life as you are actively meeting new people and sharing things that you wouldn't normally share.
  8. artkat96

artkat96 Member

I went to a few support groups but there were no friends or family members of addicts there. They were really helpful.
  9. juno

juno Community Champion

I think support groups for friends and families of addicts are very important. It can help you learn how to deal with a lot of situations. Friends and family are also emotionally effected by the addict and it can especially help to work through the emotions. I think it is particularly helpful for teens.
  10. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Even though I think that support groups are a wonderful way to help people overcome all kinds of personal hurdles, I have never felt the need to attend them. I prefer to take my problems to some quiet spot in nature and meditate on them. For me it's all about listening to that silence deep within and waiting for it to point me into the right direction. It has never failed to help me deal with certain issues in my life.
  11. Cheeky_Chick

Cheeky_Chick Community Champion

I think that it can be great to chat to other people who are in the same position as you, as the only people who can truly understand addiction are those who have been addicted themselves. I found that just hearing that somebody else is going through the same thing can be so comforting, as one of the things that I felt the most during my worst time was that I was completely alone. Learning that you're really not alone at all can be eye-opening and wonderful.
  12. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I've been thinking of support groups and they would actually be my last resort (in case the patches or vaping don't work with my fiance). I'm not even sure if there are good support groups for smoker where we will be living, but I'll still try to find one. I really think it'd be helpful for him to meet other people who have stopped smoking and maybe get some advice. Hopefully a AA for smokers, I heard they do exist, we will see if they do in that part of the Netherlands (tiny town).