An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Have you had a child die from overdose?

Discussion in 'Heroin' started by greybird29, Sep 20, 2015.

1. greybird29

greybird29 Active Contributor

Have you lost a child to death from overdose?
    My best friend from childhood lost her youngest son to a heroin overdose a few months ago. He was using a few years ago and she worked with him, supported him and tried to get him help. He seemed to be doing good, got a steady job, a new girlfriend, a baby, life was ok. She sold her home and moved out of state for her job feeling confident he was doing well.
    The night he died she spoke with him on the phone around 9pm happy about his day, had a baby sitter for a few hours and going out to supper with his girlfriend.
    Her phone woke her around 4am it was the girlfriend telling her she found him unresponsive and called an ambulance. My friend was several hours away and jumped in her car and headed to him; sadly he died of a heroin overdose before she arrived.
    We have spent several hours on the phone talking she is a devoted christen and believer in God. She cut all contact with her grandchild or the girlfriend. She is a strong, brave women and feels he is in a better place with no more issues, in Gods world, she no longer worries about him; she is at peace.
    I never want to outlive any of my children it would be the most devastating time of my life; I just don’t have any clue how I would ever find peace again.
    I know he was her baby boy and she loved him so very much. We talk about him and I try to consol her. Yet her response is usually “I am at peace” I feel she is masking her feelings rather it be to make me feel better or flat denial is just not clear to me.
    Please share your experience.
  2. All of your answers are here. Start reading all the post. You will learn everything about the user and the drug. This is a must if you are looking for the answer. Just that one thing you ask will leave so much that you will not understand unless you have been through it. I'm not a user and never have been. The love of my life is an addict and I have been looking for THE cure. One thing for sure, we are all a victim one way or another of heroin. Sorry for the lose of your friends son. Heroin is nothing but evil. I personally don't think enough people or the right people have been involved or want to be involved for getting the cure. After all who wants to waste time on an addict. Everybody wants to run and hide and nobody wants to talk about it. I thank everyone here for their input and this web site. There are very few of us that are non users that care enough to get pulled through the gates of hell to get a cure for the people we love. Isolation is the design for failure against this drug for everyone involved. We are all victims. All I know is that I'm going to win, I going to get my loved one back and maybe help some others on my mission.
  3. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

Loosing a child can be devastating to any parent. More so if drugs were involved. I won't delve much into how your friends' son died and why he hid his drug use from her but from what i gather from your post, there was a clear lack of communication on both sides no wonder she didn't have a clue about her sons' recent activities but all the same, she did all a mother could possibly could.
  4. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

I'm really sorry to hear about that. I hope she can find peace moving forward. That's very hard and I don't wish that on my worst enemy.
    greybird29 likes this.
  5. L_B

L_B Community Champion

It sounds like she is masking things by saying she is a peace. She is a religious woman so I don't think she wants to let anybody question what happened. She wants to believe that it was God's will and it happened for a reason. By saying she is at peace she is not allowing her thoughts to go there. I don't think she is as okay as she says she is. Losing a child would be devastating to any parent and moreso if it was such a senseless death. One that didn't need to happen. My heart goes out to her.
    greybird29 likes this.
  6. greybird29

greybird29 Active Contributor

I am torn on my friends feelings/ mask. I am happy that she is dealing with it so lightly and not crawling in a hole/ bed to hide in an awful state of depression. Yet I just cannot imagine carrying on as if nothing every happened and he is happier now than he has ever been. That is a feeling I do not quite understand. I just must accept that all folks grieve differently and this is her way of grieving and as long as it is working for her that is all that matters. Thank you for your thoughts.