An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Have you tried to replicate drinks?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by JoanMcWench, May 13, 2015.

1. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

I'm wondering if you have had a go to drink that when you went to sobriety you tried to turn a sober one? It can be anything from a beer to a specific style of drink. I suppose I want to know what the supplement is in comparison to your alcoholic drink. I know when I slowed my beer drinking O'Doul's Amber was a big help.
  2. henry

henry Community Champion

Well, I've had friends who started drinking light beer because they ran into some really bad health problems, and the doctors advised them to stop drinking. At first, they were so afraid that they quit everything for good for about three months or so. But when the scare factor started to dissipate, and they started missing the old lifestyle, they asked their doctors if they could at least have a drink every once in a while. The doctors made the big mistake of telling them they could have a light beer every now and then. That was a HUGE mistake. Before they knew it, they were back to their old tricks again. If you stopped drinking, don't ever drink again. It will only be a matter of time before you start getting drunk the same way you did before. Wanting to quit something by doing it less is just an excuse to keep on doing it. If you're going to quit, quit, don't try to do it less, or change to something lighter. As I said, it's just an excuse to keep on doing it.
  3. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I know people who have also turned to light and non alcohol beers aswell. I dint know if they work or not to be honest, on some occasions it's stopped people drinking for one or two nights but then they're back on the usual again soon after.
  4. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

The closest thing to beer was apple cider. But nah, when I stopped I just stopped and focused my mind on other things.
  5. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

For me, replacements make it worse. When I quit smoking and had a nicotine free e-cig my cravings went through the roof. Same goes for non alcoholic beer. I suppose I could do non alcoholic wine because I never really drank wine, but I can't touch anything that closely resembles a past drug of choice.
  6. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

I can't say that I have. Might help some but I don't think it would help me. I can imagine it would be frustrating that it has no effect even though that is the idea.