An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Have you tried vaping?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Joethefirst, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

When they launched e-cigarettes, they said that it could make you stop smoking, but now the are being marketed as the safe way to smoke.
    Have you tried vaping?
  2. akiram13

akiram13 Community Champion

I don't think it really is a solution but just another way to get you onto something else and make money off you in a different product. If you want to quit smoking do it the hard way no easy shortcuts. Take control of yourself, and mind then apply discipline. I have recently told this to a friend who said he will vape so he can quit. I wont buy into that idea that you need another product to quit the habit of smoking. I know how it is and the craving but this is only for the first part of quitting adterwards it gets easier.
  3. yaitsjonny

yaitsjonny Member

Considering that most vapes and E-cigs come with nicotine, and tend to be much more cheaper than that of traditional tobacco, I do not see it as a safer alternative. Yes, it may help people wean off their current addiction to traditional cigarettes, but it opens a whole new world to a substance that may be just as dangerous, if not much more dangerous. I have tried vaping, and it seems to be a much better alternative to cigarettes in a variety of ways. For example, it smells much better and does not leave a lasting odor that cigarettes would.
  4. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

They are not safe and they are addictive. Safer isn't a realistic distinction in this case because they are still dangerous regardless.
  5. Joethefirst

I agree with you it doesn't matter the format at the end of the day you are still taking in nicotine. The only way not to run any risks is not to smoke at all.
    Bunnyriffic likes this.
  6. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Ive tried those hookah sticks before but never e-cigarettes. After hearing about those e-cigarettes blowing up I'm glad I never tried one. I don't know if they'll help you quit smoking but they may help you quit living. It may be a little less than smoking but a real cigarette won't blow half your face off.
  7. JohnBeaulieu

That isn't even a likely risk. The known carcinogens that have been discovered, the nicotine, and the effects hot vapor has on your lungs should be the concern.
  8. Se7en

Se7en Active Contributor

Make you stop smoking? Not really. 4 of my friends (smokers) begin vaping to stop smoking. It did help a bit at the beginning, but after a while they switched back to tobacco and continue with vaping.
  9. Joethefirst

That's exactly what I have seen. There are people that are great defenders of vaping but many didn't cut out smoking completely.
  10. remnant

remnant Community Champion

This is another marketing gimmick that promises automated solutions. Complex problems require complex solutions. The problem with e-cigarettes is that they rely on the power of belief on the part of the smoker rather than the scientific hype behind them. And who knows, they can also be addictive!
  11. JohnBeaulieu

It's not a marketing gimmick or an automated solution. They were created by a man in china with the intention of being an aid to stop smoking, but failed miserably. As for addiction, they contain nicotine therefore they are addictive. There is no question about it. There is no scientific hype, science doesn't work that way. There is ignorant hype generated by wishful thinking and by people wishing to profit from selling them.
  12. SCSullivan

SCSullivan Member

It really comes down to we're all different, and what works for some people won't work for others. There is a lot misinformation out there about e-cigarettes, and it's a bit of a minefield trying to unravel the fact from fiction. Lots of so called scientific research are in fact funded by tobacco companies who have everything to gain by trying to discredit vaping. There are still risks, but overall, I do believe they are a safer alternative, and are certainly cheaper. From what I've read, the main thing is to go for a reputable brand with as few additives as possible. Try and avoid ones that are made in places like India and China where regulations are more lax. Anything made in the UK or USA is probably safer.
    Bunnyriffic likes this.
  13. Joethefirst

You are right, there haven't been any scientific papers proving that you can't get addicted to e-cigarettes. It really comes down to common sense if nicotine is addictive and something has nicotine it's not so hard to believe that you could become addicted to that product.
  14. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson Community Champion

I have several friends who have moved from smoking tobacco to vaping nicotine instead. They have nearly all reported postive benefits from it. Symptoms of tobacco smoking, such as yellow teeth and fingers are certainly improved by vaping instead of smoking, and some of them say they have lost their smokers cough. Although they are still addicted to nicotine, they are no longer affected by some of the more socially stignatised elements of smoking, such as smelling of tobacco. I don't think it really makes the nicotine consumed any less addictive but it does appear to be more socially acceptable, and I've been told its considerably cheaper than smoking tobacco.
  15. JohnBeaulieu

It isn't more acceptable, or at least it shouldn't be. It is still a grave health risk and even if to a lesser degree there is still a second hand issue.
  16. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Nope.
    Got off cigs before this whole vaping thing was even an idea.
    Looks just like high tech smoking.
    But a friend of mine swears by it, says it helps him quite smoking.
    I guess he now still does it but with some sort of zero nicotine concoction.
    Some people might like it and it might help them.
    Seems to risky and a big waste of money to me.
  17. Mara

Mara Community Champion

Nope. I haven't tried it. But I know some people that are into vaping. Personally, I don't think that it's safe at all. E-cigarettes still have nicotine, and it is addictive. My friend's fiancee has been vaping for two years now. She told me that she wanted to stop smoking so she tried vaping. Yes, she's not smoking anymore, but she is addicted to e-cigarettes now, which is just as bad.
  18. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

That is just a marketing ploy to switch over to vaping. "the safer option". I would say that too if I made alcohol water. It's all about the mighty dollar. There is no safer way, just the lesser of two evils, as I always say.

You want to get healthy? Kick the addiction, that's the only way to be safe.
  19. Joethefirst

It does seem like a way just to carry on smoking, your friend is among the rare few that actually was able to do so.
  20. JohnBeaulieu

So basically she is still smoking. Changing the delivery method slightly doesn't count as quitting.
    Mara likes this.